News

*BT email address users* BT have blocked emails from OVO Energy

• 11 November 2019
  • 1 reply
*BT email address users* BT have blocked emails from OVO Energy
Userlevel 7

BT have blocked some automated emails from OVO Energy

• We have now confirmed that some automated emails have been blocked by BT. This affects members with a @btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com or talk21.com email address on their account.
  • This will also include automated password reset emails when trying to login to MyOVO.
  • If you haven’t received your password reset link, the current advice we’re giving is to try again in 48 hours.
  • Alternatively, we’d be more then happy to change the registered email address, if you can provide us with an alternative (non-BT) address. Do this over the phone ( 0330 303 5063) or via Facebook or Twitter

We will update this topic with any developments! 

Updated 15/05/2020

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge

This is a major problem with BT whose system rejects bulk emails that their experience links to spam. Typically it is messages like 'your monthly statement is ready'. 

I'm happy to say that my password reset went through without a hitch on 11th November with my BT email account.

The first I came across it was 3 or 4 years ago. A Tesco clubcard message failed and they sent me a letter asking me to check the email address was correct. I spent some time trying to get to the bottom of it. The sender doesn't have the bounced email - the bulk email provider merely gives them a list of failed deliveries if they are lucky; BT doesn't have the rejected email; it just goes into a black hole. It might even have been Yahoo, because my account is an older one that uses a BT yahoo email system. None of the systems have a record of it any more. Manually sent emails still work fine, as do some automated ones! No-one could explain why specifically it disappeared or what you can do other than use a different email. They felt it was most likely to do with the way the bulk email house formatted the email. 

So far it had affected 3 companies I use including a credit card account, now OVO too. I swapped the others to my Gmail account or my Outlook account and have had no further problems.