Solved

Why is refund option not working with new smart meter online experience?

• 23 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I have now got the new layout and system where I no longer get a statement. For this reason when I try to request a refund, I get told that I cannot get a refund as I haven't had a statement.

I am stuck in a loop it seems. How does one get a refund now on the new billing method where you don't actually get a statement each month?

Many thanks for any help :)

Steven
icon

Best answer by Slinky 23 January 2019, 13:57

@falkirk81

If your direct debit is too high it breaks the energy retailers code.

If OVO don't refund you promptly it could be a breach of your contract, the below clause makes it crystal clear. The Energy Retailers Code states the following:

• 4.2 If your supplier owes you money in relation to your energy bill, they will refund any amount they owe promptly, in line with the terms and conditions of your contract.

See this link: Code of Practice for Accurate Bills

Read 'Step 2' of this article near the bottom of the page

Step 2: Ask for your money back

Read 'Step 4' near the bottom of this article for advice on how to get this refunded:

Step 4: Formally request the direct debit's lowered

Updated 04/05/2020

More info here.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4

@falkirk81

If your direct debit is too high it breaks the energy retailers code.

If OVO don't refund you promptly it could be a breach of your contract, the below clause makes it crystal clear. The Energy Retailers Code states the following:

• 4.2 If your supplier owes you money in relation to your energy bill, they will refund any amount they owe promptly, in line with the terms and conditions of your contract.

See this link: Code of Practice for Accurate Bills

Read 'Step 2' of this article near the bottom of the page

Step 2: Ask for your money back

Read 'Step 4' near the bottom of this article for advice on how to get this refunded:

Step 4: Formally request the direct debit's lowered

Updated 04/05/2020

More info here.

Userlevel 4
In addition to the above, I realise my previous comments are more of a last resort but it can't hurt you to email or phone OVO to ask for the refund, they don't penalise you if it's not easily solved through other means.
Thank you, I’m looking more for an answer from the forum for anyone else who has the same issue. And how they resolved it.
Userlevel 4
Hopefully someone will give you the answer soon. Failing that phone them, I would.
Userlevel 7
Thank you, I’m looking more for an answer from the forum for anyone else who has the same issue. And how they resolved it.

Did you get this sorted in the end, @falkirk81 ? Send us an update when you can!
@Tim_OVO

No it is still not working, no statement for the months of December or January and my dd comes out tomorrow for my February bill. Can you look into my account and see what is causing no bill or statement to be generated?

i have no idea whether I am in credit or debit at the moment. Any help would be appreciated Tim 🙂
Userlevel 7

Can you look into my account and see what is causing no bill or statement to be generated?

@falkirk81 sorry to hear! Let's get the help of our Customer Support team.

- Send over a PM via Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/ovoenergy/
- A DM via Twitter: @OVOEnergy
- Online chat on the Help Centre
- Call us on: 0330 303 5063 Monday-Friday 8am-6pm