Solved

Why is my supply listed as a 'business supply' and not a domestic?

Userlevel 1

Why when I try to get a price comparison do I get the message "unable to switch non domestic meters" This has happened twice once when a supplier called me and now on a comparison site.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 February 2019, 16:55

Thanks for posting @Sherpa @ronnie

I've edited your posts to remove the account numbers, and I know what this issue is. Warning, it gets a bit technical:

These properties will have smart meters, which send the readings every half hour. In case you were interested, this gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win.

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to (or the comparison table) should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlement (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully. There’s another topic on this here.

That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. We'll need an email to get the ball rolling with this: hello@ovoenergy.com

View original

11 replies

Hello, having neared the end of my fixed contract with OVO I decided to have a look round at different suppliers.
However it seems that the smart meters you installed at my property are known as "complex meters" and as such are preventing ing me from switching suppliers!
Can this situation be explained as it seems wholly unacceptable
I'm having the same issue. Account Number: *edited by moderator*
Userlevel 1
I don`t know if it helps or not but my account number is *edited by moderator*. I tried another comparison site today and had no problems getting prices. Problems may arise if i tried to switch, present contract finishes in June.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @100342722

"Complex meters" could mean a number of things. We wouldn't be able to say for certain without a bit more information.

If you'd like to post some pictures of the meters in question on this thread, we'd be happy to take a closer look!

Cheers,
Nancy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for posting @Sherpa @ronnie

I've edited your posts to remove the account numbers, and I know what this issue is. Warning, it gets a bit technical:

These properties will have smart meters, which send the readings every half hour. In case you were interested, this gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win.

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to (or the comparison table) should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlement (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully. There’s another topic on this here.

That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. We'll need an email to get the ball rolling with this: hello@ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 1
Hi Tim, Thanks for your input. I am not due to renew my contract till June this year, this cropped up when (XXX) company called at the house to give me prices. One comparison site came back with the same message. You can leave my smart meter set as it is. Provided OVO still have good rates I will not switch when the time comes as I am happy where I am. Thanks again.
Hi- I have been registered as a business rather than domestic energy account when the transfer from economy energy happened. How do I change it back to domestic?
Hi, I have recently found out that MPAN have my home meter registered as a business meter. How do I get it registered as a residential meter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi- I have been registered as a business rather than domestic energy account when the transfer from economy energy happened. How do I change it back to domestic?

Here's the topic you want, @Fowlerl60s - my 'best answer' at the top explains what's happened ☺
Userlevel 5
@JChambler, take a look at the best answer at the top, this will answer your question! 🙂
ah I see. Thank you @Eva_OVO I understand it now.