Solved

Where has all my usage data gone?

Since the new web site and phone app went live, I have lost all my usage data, (Bizarrely, except for April to December 2015).  I don’t know whether the new website/app is geared exclusively for Smart meters, but as I have no mobile phone signal, I’m told that I can’t have one of these.  So am I yet again losing out because I have no mobile signal?  Surely you can support both types of meters on your website.

icon

Best answer by Transparent 18 May 2020, 11:05

Hi again @Dsandy - so let’s just address the Smart Meter issue:

Firstly, that’s a particularly beautiful area of England you live in! Its valleys are no less problematic than West Devon, where I’m based. If your conversation with OVO last year concerned a meter installation after 16th March, then I don’t understand why you were dissuaded. That’s the date from which all of OVO’s installations in Southern and Central Territories had to be of the SMETS2 variety.

There are three versions of the Communications Hubs fitted to SMETS2 meters:

Most houses have a SKU1 which requires direct connection to the Telefonica Smart Meter Network, known as the Wide Area Network (WAN).

In rural areas the engineers consult Telefonica’s signal strength maps, and may install a SKU2. The cover on the left conceals an SMA connector permitting an external aerial for a local Mesh Network.

Meters in a MESH Network talk between each other, passing data along until they locate one with a sufficiently strong signal to communicate onwards to the WAN.

The SKU3 Comms Hub is more rare. It looks like an SKU2, but has two aerial connectors. The additional one uses another external aerial to boost the signal for the WAN. This aerial can be fitted to an external wall high up on the side of the house.

As the uptake of SMETS2 meters increases, it becomes progressively easier for Comms Hubs to join in to local MESH Networks.

At present the Coronavirus Pandemic has curtailed all meter installation except for Pay-As-You-Go (pre-payment) meters. But I’d be surprised if there was now a technical reason why you couldn’t have a SMETS2 meter anywhere in Gloucestershire.

View original

14 replies

I forgot to add, my meter reading history is the same (ie it only shows readings in 2015) and I am no longer receiving emails reminding me that a meter reading is due.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Dsandy and thanks for posting here on the Forum.

Firstly, we’re not OVO. Customer Services don’t monitor what we discuss here. We’re fellow customers, many of whom have good background understanding of energy issues.

As it happens, I recognise the symptoms you are reporting. There have been 5 or 6 Threads here over the past couple of months where customers have been reporting sort level of data loss. All but one of these have had Smart Meters.

I attempted to collate a synopsis of these data-loss reports here over a month ago. But I can probably now define it more accurately than I could at that stage.

The combination factor between the reports is that we’ve all been migrated across to the new Billing System. And I can confirm that this new software handles traditional meters like yours too.

Your level of data loss is at the extreme end of what we’re seeing. I’m going to tag one of the Moderators, @Tim_OVO so that he can add this Topic to the growing list, and ensure it gets passed to the relevant Development Manager.

May I also ask you to complete your Forum Profile page?

I’d like to respond to the point you made about Smart Meters and mobile phone signals, but I need a rough idea of where you are in the country before I do so.

I’m in an area with a high percentage of houses that have poor mobile phone signals, but we can still get the newer SMETS2 Meters to work OK.

You may feel that this doesn’t matter at the moment. However we are starting to see the release of technology which interacts with a Smart Meter and provides benefits to the end-user. So it would be useful if you knew what the current situation is.

H Transparent and many thanks for replying.  Having seen other posts answered by an OVO moderator I guess I addressed my rant to them!  I have filled in my profile so hopefully you can now see where I live - it is North Gloucestershire on the edge of the Cotswolds.  I am in a valley and the mobile signal goes over the top of my house!

I can get a very weak mobile signal in parts of my garden and in my loft but not anywhere near my meter cupboard.  Last year I applied for a Smart meter but when I discussed it with someone from OVO they advised against it.

I would love a Smart meter but as you suggest, for the moment it would simply be great to get my usage data back.!  I will be grateful for any help you can offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi again @Dsandy - so let’s just address the Smart Meter issue:

Firstly, that’s a particularly beautiful area of England you live in! Its valleys are no less problematic than West Devon, where I’m based. If your conversation with OVO last year concerned a meter installation after 16th March, then I don’t understand why you were dissuaded. That’s the date from which all of OVO’s installations in Southern and Central Territories had to be of the SMETS2 variety.

There are three versions of the Communications Hubs fitted to SMETS2 meters:

Most houses have a SKU1 which requires direct connection to the Telefonica Smart Meter Network, known as the Wide Area Network (WAN).

In rural areas the engineers consult Telefonica’s signal strength maps, and may install a SKU2. The cover on the left conceals an SMA connector permitting an external aerial for a local Mesh Network.

Meters in a MESH Network talk between each other, passing data along until they locate one with a sufficiently strong signal to communicate onwards to the WAN.

The SKU3 Comms Hub is more rare. It looks like an SKU2, but has two aerial connectors. The additional one uses another external aerial to boost the signal for the WAN. This aerial can be fitted to an external wall high up on the side of the house.

As the uptake of SMETS2 meters increases, it becomes progressively easier for Comms Hubs to join in to local MESH Networks.

At present the Coronavirus Pandemic has curtailed all meter installation except for Pay-As-You-Go (pre-payment) meters. But I’d be surprised if there was now a technical reason why you couldn’t have a SMETS2 meter anywhere in Gloucestershire.

Thank you @Transparent  for your excellent full and detailed explanation.  When I spoke to OVO last year about smart meters, I mentioned that I had heard that they could install an external aerial but the person I spoke to said that I would have to have an external aerial installed after which they might reconsider the viability of a smart meter.

Once they start installing again, I will definitely follow this up with new enthusiasm.

Thanks again..

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just so we don’t lose sight of the original query…

I’m tagging @Nancy_OVO to point out that @Dsandy is still missing over 4 years of usage history and statements!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Transparent @Dsandy 

Hi both,

I don’t think this is a tech issue as you might have suspected.

It sounds like Dsandy has traditional meters, based on the above comments about poor mobile signal.

On the old website, you could input your readings on a monthly basis and a Usage Graph would be build based on the resulting bills.

The new website was initially geared around smart customers, however we’ve moved to incorporate all types of meter into this platform now.

If you’ve been migrated, it’s perfectly normal that you wouldn’t see the old traditional meter usage graph as this isn’t a feature on the new site, or at least it isn’t the same.

The usage date won’t be lost, and if you want to refer to historical figures you should have a list of all your old bills as PDFs on the billing page.

There should be a new version of the usage graph up and running now for traditional meter customers. If you continue to input readings each month this will build the graph in the same way as the old one.

Hope this helps!

Thank you @Nancy_OVO for your comments.  You are right, I do have a traditional meter.   What I still don’t understand is why I still have usage data for 2015 but nothing since, nor do I have my meter reading history (other than for 2015 and the last two months).  Can I revert to the old mobile app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Dsandy. I’ve had a look at the version of the new online software which I’m using in order to check what @Nancy_OVO has suggested.

I’ve found PDFs of all my Bills from the time I joined OVO are at the foot of my Home page in the Recent charges and payments Section. I just keep clicking the Show More button to reveal them all.

Although these Bills span the time prior to me having a Smart Meter, there are several variants of the new software in use. So I’m unsure if you can find your Bills in similar fashion.

Is that where you’ve located the 2015 Bills?

The new Billing software operates in quite a different fashion to the earlier system, so I really doubt that there’s any way to be migrated back to the old-App as you requested.

The software had to be written from scratch to replace the earlier one because it didn’t comply with Ofgem rules. OVO had a substantial fine for that blunder, even tho’ the software was a 3rd-party commercial product.

I think they’ll be glad to have nothing more to do with it!

I posted a brief (illustrated) overview of the new/different approach over here on another Topic this morning.

As you’re from an IT background, please feel free to pitch in with comments on what us customers are now being presented with. The Programming Team are based in London, and will be bug-splatting and refining for a good few months yet! I’ve had several comments/suggestions fed back to them already.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey @Dsandy,

The new website/app is going to be a permanent feature, and we’re moving all customers over to it so unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible to revert. 

Can you post a screenshot of where you can see the usage from 2015? This seems very odd!

Thanks

Hi @Nancy_OVO and thanks for getting back to me. I am attaching 3 screenshots

1.  Meter reading history page
  2.  Energy usage in 2016 - no data
  3.  Energy usage in 2015 - fully populated.

The usage screens for 2019, 2018 & 2017 are all similar to 2016.  My question is:  if I can view my history for 2015, why can’t I view later years? 

Thanks,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s brilliant @Dsandy ! :astonished:

So one of the major problems we’re having in reporting errors resulting from migration to the new Billing Software is that there are multiple versions of it in use simultaneously.

Each of us customers can only see the one presented to us. So the Main Menu for my version looks like this:

@Nancy_OVO - we really need the programmers to add a Version Number somewhere discrete so that we can refer to it when bug-reporting.

These sorts of anomalies are going to continue to arise for many months to come. It’s going to be very difficult for Forum Members to help each other unless we have a basic method to check if we’re referring to the same UX !

@Transparent, my guess is that you don’t have the meter readings option on your menu because you have a SMART meter, while I don’t.  So we may still have the same software version but configured differently.  Just a thought but I agree a software version number displayed somewhere on the page would make this so much clearer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well that’s a theoretical possibility @Dsandy, but I’ve already responded here on the Forum to other Topics where I don’t have features that others do. Here’s one of those discussions about the Zero-In option.

You will note that the very first response from @Nancy_OVO was to ask “When were you migrated…?” So the Moderators are already aware that the UX has been changing over the last few months.