Solved

My online account daily usage section hasn't updated but I have smart meters - what is issue?

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

My online account has stopped updating itself and my last useage data was on the 24th (Last meter reading on the 25th)

I’ve checked my meter from time to time and the WAN light has been flashing away indicating a connection. It’s been fine for months and transmitting everyday and just suddently stopped updating.

Are there any known isues going on?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Transparent 26 August 2020, 17:26

View original

128 replies

Userlevel 1

Mine stopped at the same time and date as yours. I wouldn’t bother contacting support, they’ll tell  you to leave it for 3 months and see if it starts working again of its own accord.

Userlevel 1

Sadly very true. I’d like to hope that there are some OVO tech support lurkers out there but I’m not pinning my hopes on that. 

Userlevel 6

We’re getting reports of any missing days of usage being added to online accounts. See this topic for more info and let us know if this is the same for you! 

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I believe my issue is sorted now and my account is up to date. The hamsters in my meter are back in their wheel. 😊

Thanks.

Userlevel 6

Haha! Great to hear, @MajorSqueeze, lets hope they keep going this time! :hamster::ferris_wheel: (best I could )

Userlevel 5

Hi there,

My online account has stopped updating itself and my last useage data was on the 24th (Last meter reading on the 25th)

I’ve checked my meter from time to time and the WAN light has been flashing away indicating a connection. It’s been fine for months and transmitting everyday and just suddently stopped updating.

Are there any known isues going on?

Thanks.

I had the same issue but it resolved itself !

See https://forum.ovoenergy.com/meter-questions-and-readings-72/smart-meter-daily-usage-problem-fixed-8422

Userlevel 1

OK..looks like my daily graphs has died again. My smart meter daily reads are still coming in daily up to today, so connectivity is not the issue,, but no graphs since 3rd July.

Is there another spare 50p  knocking around to put back in the meter?

Thanks.

Userlevel 4

Ah, that’s annoying @MajorSqueeze.

I’ve heard there’s currently an issue affecting a few customers, similar to the first, that’s hiding usage for July.

We’re working on it, so we should have this sorted shortly for you. Similar to the last one, it’ll probably right itself without you having to do anything, so I’d just check back every now and again.

We’ll update this thread if we hear anything else on the progress/solution for this one.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 5

There's no hiding July usage for me:

Fingers crossed that things don't start playing up again !

Userlevel 2

Since 20th August 2020, the half hourly my gas meter reading usage data has not been available on the website.  Electricity usage is OK.  What gives?

Don’t ask me to contact you by Facebook or Twitter as I do not use them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TheBatsWhiskers and welcome to the Forum.

*info has been moved by mod to comment below to be made into ‘best answer*

… and I’m intrigued by your ID. What bat? :bat:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 19/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry to hear about the missing smart meter usage data on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

We’ve now resolved the known tech issue that was causing a lack of usage data to show despite good communication with your smart meters, so if your usage data has not yet been restored it’s more likely to indicate a communication issue with your meters.

It’s worth carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide

They might also request some screenshots of your usage pages, which can help get to the bottom of things (if there’s no communication issues with your meters).

Hope this helps - Keep us updated here as it really helps others who might be seeing similar in future. :slight_smile:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7

I’ve moved some stuff around here, and made @Transparent’s recent reply the best answer to what is a common and varied query here on this community.

Hopefully the info above should help you (and others) diagnose the issue @TheBatsWhiskers :bat:

Userlevel 2

Hi @Transparent

Thanks for your reply.

I rarely use my IHD (a Pipit 500) as it's a dreadful thing to try and use, but I've just powered it up and it appears to be working OK as today's usage history is available for both electricity and gas.

If I look at my account on the mobile app it says no data available when I try to look at the daily gas usage - the last half hourly gas reading data available was at 00:30 on 20th August.  However, data must be getting sent as the total daily usage is avaiable on the app (both mobile and PC), just not the half hourly so to me it indicates the problem is likely to be on the OVO server side.

As for my ID, I was creating one a few years ago for something or other and it was about the time that a cricket commentator on TV who used an expression, "that missed the bat by a whisker", had died and I thought "a bat with whiskers" which then morphed into my ID. 

Userlevel 7

I rarely use my IHD (a Pipit 500) as it's a dreadful thing to try and use, but I've just powered it up and it appears to be working OK as today's usage history is available for both electricity and gas.

Thanks @TheBatsWhiskers - this tells us that the HAN and IHD are working well with your laptop. See this topic for info on HAN, WAN and the rest. 

If I look at my account on the mobile app it says no data available when I try to look at the daily gas usage - the last half hourly gas reading data available was at 00:30 on 20th August.  However, data must be getting sent as the total daily usage is available on the app (both mobile and PC), just not the half hourly so to me it indicates the problem is likely to be on the OVO server side.

Can you let us know the status of the WAN light on the smart meter? And also share a piccy of your usage section so i can confirm you’re on the new online account?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @Tim_OVO - if the Forum-ID is “the bat’s whiskers”, it seems right for the matching IHD to be a Pipitstrelle doesn’t it? :hugging:

Userlevel 2

Hi Transparent

I had never heard of a Pipitstrelle until you mentioned it and oddly enough I was going end my reply yesterday that my ID had nothing to do with China… :wink:

Userlevel 2

Hi Tim_OVO

The WAN LED on the elctricity meter itself flashes every second for 5 seconds then off for about 3 seconds then repeats, the HAN LED is off all the time and the LED to the right of the number pad flashes at about the same time as the 5th flash of the WAN LED.  The gas meter doesn't have any LEDs at all.

On the Pipit smart meter all lights are off unless I try and view the usage now for dual fuel or electricity when the electricity LED on the top left comes on and stays on until I exit or select view gas usage now when it goes off and no other lights come on.  The network icon on the top left of the screen is showing a solid signal of 4 "bars".  

Screen shots of usage page from PC and then mobile below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @TheBatsWhiskers 

Those indicator lights on your electricity meter (with combined Communications Hub) don’t tally with the symptoms.

If IHD is functioning, then the HAN indicator shouldn’t be off for a start.

Next, can you please complete your Forum Profile. I want to find out whether you’re in South, Central or Northern Territories for the Wide Area Network.

And can you also say what meter type it is?

Manufactured by Secure?

Funny you were thinking of making a comment about China. One of the major reasons that we’re running about 8 months behind schedule on the Smart Meter Installation programme is because GCHQ needed to spend extra time to double-check the security on the newer SMETS2 meters and the National Smart Meter Network.

The network is highly encrypted. It would be unthinkable for the UK to leave its domestic energy supply system open to attack from a hostile foreign power.

As for bats - I have both pipistrelles and brown long-eared species living in my outbuildings. They are an absolute delight to watch at sunset, and eat all the mosquitoes. :slight_smile:

Brown long-eared bat

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Transparent

The smart meter is currently sitting about a metre from the electricity meter and I’ve just sat and watched it for a few minutes and the HAN is definitely off all the time. 

I’ve also just had to turn the smart meter on and off as it didn’t seem to be connected because the top left LED on it was red and the light to the right of the number pad on the meter itself was flashing twice per second.  It’s now back to what it was yesterday.  The HAN LED is still off.

I’m on the south coast in East Sussex, but I have completed my profile as requested.

Both the meter and smart meter are made by Secure with the meter being a Liberty 100 type code E1S0B1 and the smart meter is of course the Pipit 500 E+G as previously mentioned.

Understandable about GCHQ’s requirement.

Bats - we occasionally see them flitting about in the early evening if we’re sitting outside.  Couldn’t tell you what sort though as it’s just a dark shape.

I also have some communication issue going on. I really regret the smart meter installation now, although it sounds like a good idea at the time :disappointed_relieved:

According to the OVO website, you’re getting readings:

But the usage data doesn’t make any sense:

(No gas usage, after some crazy spike for a few days!)
My installation was on the 17th.

Also, my IHD isn’t showing any readings, and doesn’t even recognise that I have electricity as well:

Seems to recognise Gas, but no readings. No mention of Electric

I’m concerned that the smart meter installation was a bit of a rush job, probably due to COVID-19 concerns. I wasn’t even presented with the meter readings for the old meters prior to the swap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@ambience if the smart meter shows same readings for a number of days its because it has averages out the period where you lost communication to the billing system and it has now returned. It will, I have been told,  correct itself over time (I have had the same issue)

Rest assured if it sends any data, it will be fine, these meters are resilient!

@ambience if the smart meter shows same readings for a number of days its because it has averages out the period where you lost communication to the billing system and it has now returned. It will, I have been told,  correct itself over time (I have had the same issue)

Rest assured if it sends any data, it will be fine, these meters are resilient!

One concern I have, though, is that I wasn’t given the final meter reading for the meters that were replaced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@ambience i too had this, all was sorted very well by OVO cust service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If the meter installation was 17th of this month, then they’re still going through the off-site commissioning process.

There used to be 5 weeks delay before everything got sorted, but most customers now report it is less.