Solved

Why is My OVO asking for readings when I've got a smart meter?

Show first post

47 replies

why am I getting requests for gas meter readings when I have smart meters on both gas and electric
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
why am I getting requests for gas meter readings when I have smart meters on both gas and electric

Hi @Bryan

I've moved your comment to another topic on the very same question. Check out the 'best answer' and let me know if you have any followup queries on this.

Tim
OVO asked for meter reading after my first month of smart meters, but only gas.
I checked the gas Han sign and thats there so I assume its talking to the elec meter.
I have filled in the gas reading but the format is of the old meter so confused now.

The usage shows a wrap around figure from the old reading to the new so I have an astronomical usage, OVO please correct.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I checked the gas Han sign and thats there so I assume its talking to the elec meter.
I have filled in the gas reading but the format is of the old meter so confused now.

The usage shows a wrap around figure from the old reading to the new so I have an astronomical usage, OVO please correct.

Hey there @slipper(fab username!)

It sounds like we haven’t been able to communicate with your new smart gas meter just yet. It also sounds like there’s been some confusion updating the new meter details on your My OVO account which is why you’re seeing such a jump from the old meter reading to the new smart reading.

To help the team identify what’s going on, can you please check out my private message?

I look forward to getting this sorted for you.

Lucy
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi all, we had a smart meter fitted 2 weeks ago, and this is the time of month we previously had to submit readings. Do we need to this month, as we've only had it 2 weeks? (We've had a reminder to submit them). Thanks 😄

Hi @Rosie and thanks for reaching out on the forum about this.

I've actually moved this query to another topic on the same subject. You can check out the 'best answer' for advice on whether you need to submit a meter reading.

In short, if it's two weeks since the meter fitting date, you won't be getting a bill yet - we're still updating your account with your new details. It tends to take 4-6 weeks. Once this is complete and assuming there's no signal issues with the meter, you won't be asked for meter readings anymore and the meters will send them to us for every monthly bill remotely.

If in doubt, feel free to drop me a PM with your account number, name and DoB and I can check if your account is ready to be billed.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 1

I was interested to read Slipper's comments on what happens to gas meter readings after OVO installed gas and electricity smart meters. Here's my experience. When the Lowri Beck engineer fitted the two smart meters he said he would give OVO the new and old electricity and gas readings. A couple of days later updated electricity meter info appeared in my online account. This showed (1) the new smart meter's serial number and (2) that my old electricity meter reading history had been replaced by the new meter's history, starting at 0 kWh. [If you need to see your old meter reading history, you can still do so by looking up old statements.] However, the gas meter information was not updated - and still hasn't been nearly a month after the new meters were fitted. I queried this by email and the OVO team told me it usually takes six to eight weeks to update your account with smart meter details. Despite having smart meters fitted I also later received OVO's routine monthly email asking for meter readings - so I dutifully submitted readings from the new meters. The electricity reading was accepted normally, but the system initially queried the gas reading - because the new meter had started at 0 kWh, so, of course, the new reading was smaller than the last old meter reading. The new gas reading was then accepted. Since then the gas usage data on the meter reading page of my online account shows a high kWh figure - but it has a minus sign in front of it. That's because it's showing apparent "negative" usage. I'm sure all this will be sorted out when OVO fully updates my account with the new gas meter details over the coming weeks. I can understand, however, that people might find their online meter reading data confusing while they're waiting for OVO to finish recording details of their new meters. It would make life simpler if both the electricity and gas meter details could be updated promptly when new meters are fitted.
I was interested to read Slipper's comments on what happens to gas meter readings after OVO installed gas and electricity smart meters. Here's my experience. When the Lowri Beck engineer fitted the two smart meters he said he would give OVO the new and old electricity and gas readings. A couple of days later updated electricity meter info appeared in my online account. This showed (1) the new smart meter's serial number and (2) that my old electricity meter reading history had been replaced by the new meter's history, starting at 0 kWh. [If you need to see your old meter reading history, you can still do so by looking up old statements.] However, the gas meter information was not updated - and still hasn't been nearly a month after the new meters were fitted. I queried this by email and the OVO team told me it usually takes six to eight weeks to update your account with smart meter details. Despite having smart meters fitted I also later received OVO's routine monthly email asking for meter readings - so I dutifully submitted readings from the new meters. The electricity reading was accepted normally, but the system initially queried the gas reading - because the new meter had started at 0 kWh, so, of course, the new reading was smaller than the last old meter reading. The new gas reading was then accepted. Since then the gas usage data on the meter reading page of my online account shows a high kWh figure - but it has a minus sign in front of it. That's because it's showing apparent "negative" usage. I'm sure all this will be sorted out when OVO fully updates my account with the new gas meter details over the coming weeks. I can understand, however, that people might find their online meter reading data confusing while they're waiting for OVO to finish recording details of their new meters. It would make life simpler if both the electricity and gas meter details could be updated promptly when new meters are fitted.

Sounds the same as myself, however the bills have been correct and using the correct gas readings, its just that the feedback to me is missing.
The bills to date on the little monitor we have shows cumulative costs too, not monthly.
Sounds the same as myself, however the bills have been correct and using the correct gas readings, its just that the feedback to me is missing.
The bills to date on the little monitor we have shows cumulative costs too, not monthly.

Ah, I see there is a post re IHD not resetting.https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/in-home-display-ihd-estimated-bill-isn-t-resetting-is-this-right-152
Userlevel 1
The root issue behind some of the queries in this thread seems to be the inexplicable 6 to 8-week delay before OVO fully updates account details after smart meters have been fitted. It's puzzling because in some cases (including my own) the electricity meter records were updated promptly, but updating the gas meter data was delayed. Also OVO suspends billing after smart meters are fitted - until the meter records have been fully updated on the customer's account. Hence the complaints from people who have not received a bill for a long time. And hence the complaints from people who have continued to receive meter reading requests - even though they shouldn't have to read their meters because they are now 'smart'. As others have pointed out, reading the new Secure smart meters is a bit more difficult than reading the old meters. The scrolling LED screen means you have to act quickly to read the relevant figures, so you capture them before the screen scrolls over to irrelevant information. One way to do this might be to photograph it on your mobile phone. I suspect that the short-term solution for people experiencing these frustrations is to exercise patience - OVO will hopefully update your records eventually. Then you should not continue to receive requests for meter readings and the normal billing cycle should resume. In the longer term it would be nice if OVO could (1) update all meter change records promptly or, if this is not possible, (2) tell customers in advance about the issues that will arise after their smart meters have been fitted.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @slipper

I've just seen this query, and I can see there's an older topic on the same thing - I've moved the convo thread over so it's all in the same place. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for the cause of this. Although @RobC has pretty much nailed it. Your gas meter details need to be updated which usually takes up to 6 weeks since the meter fitting date.

If it's been longer and you think this still needs doing, PM me your account number, name and DoB.

Tim
I have had the new gas and electricity smart meters installed - the electricity is updating my account
But the gas is not

My ovo account is now using estimated gas readings my last one states 42143

Going onto my new gas meter and selecting 9 I get a reading of 00957

Which when I enter into my meter reading on my account says that my reading is less than my previous reading

Any ideas
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I have had the new gas and electricity smart meters installed - the electricity is updating my account
But the gas is not

My ovo account is now using estimated gas readings my last one states 42143

Going onto my new gas meter and selecting 9 I get a reading of 00957

Which when I enter into my meter reading on my account says that my reading is less than my previous reading

Any ideas

Hi @Andrewccann

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

As i dont have access to any account details i can not speculate as to why this is happening. However i suspect it could be the system is still updating itself with your new meters.

Have you reached out to the OVO customer Care Team? If not they are best placed to help advise ypu whats happening and how long before all will be working smoothly. Feel free to reach out to the team via social media or indeed anybof thefabulous moderators on here @Lucy_OVO @Emma_OVO or @Tim_OVO

Hope this helps
Hi @Andrewccann

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

As i dont have access to any account details i can not speculate as to why this is happening. However i suspect it could be the system is still updating itself with your new meters.

Have you reached out to the OVO customer Care Team? If not they are best placed to help advise ypu whats happening and how long before all will be working smoothly. Feel free to reach out to the team via social media or indeed anybof thefabulous moderators on here @Lucy_OVO @Emma_OVO or @Tim_OVO

Hope this helps

The meter was installed in Feb 2017

I emailed the help team hello@ovoenergy.com and it is now sorted and my billing brought up to date

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I emailed the help team hello@ovoenergy.com and it is now sorted and my billing brought up to date

Thanks

Wonderful stuff. Great to hear youve resolved this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks

That's good to hear, @Andrewccann :$

Just a heads up that I've moved your query over to another topic on the same thing, so it's all in the same place!

^Tim
I had the smart meter installed a month or so ago and I have just logged into my account and I had a popup telling me that you haven't recieved my meter readings for this month, and that I should tell you them in the next few days.

The option to give you my meter readings is disabled though, because I have a smart meter. How can I tell if you are recieving my meter readings or not as I thought that it would be all automatic with the smart meter.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I had the smart meter installed a month or so ago and I have just logged into my account and I had a popup telling me that you haven't recieved my meter readings for this month, and that I should tell you them in the next few days.

The option to give you my meter readings is disabled though, because I have a smart meter. How can I tell if you are recieving my meter readings or not as I thought that it would be all automatic with the smart meter.

Hi @Kaladin

I've moved this onto another topic for other users that have experienced this to help out: @golfer110 @in51der - sounds similar to what you mentioned... :?

@Kaladin you might also want to check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for advice.

Tim
I have had my smartmeters since Dec of last year. Why is it that my home page is asking me to enter meter readings? I can see from my smart usage exactly what I have been using for both gas and electricity but yet Ovo says it has to use an estimate?
I have not had any adjustments to the smartmeters and as I can see the my smartusage readings match up online to the in house display...there is something seriously borked with Ovo's systems.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I have had my smartmeters since Dec of last year. Why is it that my home page is asking me to enter meter readings? I can see from my smart usage exactly what I have been using for both gas and electricity but yet Ovo says it has to use an estimate?
I have not had any adjustments to the smartmeters and as I can see the my smartusage readings match up online to the in house display...there is something seriously borked with Ovo's systems.

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for a possible cause of this, @dcwt2010

Tim
I have a smart meter on both gas and electric however when I check my online account it still requires a reading for my electric. Why is this? My statements also confirm my bills are produced on estimated readings for my electric.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Moved your topic over here @Vickster75 as I think the 4-6 week period for updating your meter details may be affecting this. Read further up the thread for more info. 🙂
I’ve had my smart meters for 6 months so it wasn’t the 4/6 week set up period. Basically ovo has messed up at their end but they are in the process of rectifying this however I’m left with a hefty bill. Cheers ovo