Solved

Why is My OVO asking for readings when I've got a smart meter?

Hi I had a smart meter installed at the beginning of march but the portal is still asking me for meter readings and you have not created a bill since February. As a result I am over £400 in credit on the account and I cannot switch to a fixed rate.
I am really not happy about this as switching to a smart meter was supposed to make my life easier.
Please can this be sorted out?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 11 May 2017, 13:42

Hi I had a smart meter installed at the beginning of march but the portal is still asking me for meter readings and you have not created a bill since February. As a result I am over £400 in credit on the account and I cannot switch to a fixed rate.
I am really not happy about this as switching to a smart meter was supposed to make my life easier.

Hi in51der,

I've replied to your PM with some good news.

If other users are having this problem, it's likely because there's been a delay updating the account with the new meter details. My OVO will therefore not know that smart meters are fitted and will carry on prompting you to submit meter readings. There will also be a billing suspension in place to avoid us billing you to your old (now removed) meter.

As @Mattj3135 mentioned, contacting us about this is your best bet if it's been longer then 6 weeks since the install date, as we might need to chase up the third party that fitted the meter.

Hope that helps ya'll,
Tim
View original

47 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @in51der welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to learn of the difficulties you've been having.

In order to resolve this, my best advice is to contact OVO, via phone, social media, email or indeed here (if contacting OVO using an online service please include your full name, address and OVO account number in your private message) and explain the issue and what you'd like to be done to resolve this for you.

Hopefully this is sorted for you soon!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi in51der,

I've replied to your PM with some good news.

If other users are having this problem, it's likely because there's been a delay updating the account with the new meter details. My OVO will therefore not know that smart meters are fitted and will carry on prompting you to submit meter readings. There will also be a billing suspension in place to avoid us billing you to your old (now removed) meter.

As @Mattj3135 mentioned, contacting us about this is your best bet if it's been longer then 6 weeks since the install date, as we might need to chase up the third party that fitted the meter.

Hope that helps ya'll,
Tim
i got a smart meter fitted on 1st December 2016 and have not had a bill since. Although my usage history seems to be being captured and there are costs stated for each month no bill has been generated.

I should be showing a credit of £890.90 but my balance is showing as £600 though my payment history show it should be £890.90.

Ovo worked well before we had a smart meter now it seems a bit shambolic.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
i got a smart meter fitted on 1st December 2016 and have not had a bill since. I should be showing a credit of £890.90 but my balance is showing as £600 though my payment history show it should be £890.90.

Hi @golfer110 welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to learn that you've noticed some discrepancies in the balance on your account. The first thing I should say is worry not, with a few simple steps we can get this resolved for you!

Have you checked out the self help section on the OVO website in relation to statements? If not check it out here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/statements (you'll find the contact details to get in touch with OVO if you still need to speak to someone within OVO through this link) it's worth noting if you contact OVO using an online platform to include in your private message - your full name, address and OVO account number to aid a quick resolution to your query.

The good news is that as you're in credit on your account you'll be getting the 3% interest reward, there's a topic with more on this here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/3-ovo-interest-reward-am-i-getting-it-268

Hopefully you get this sorted soon, please do let us know how you get on!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
i got a smart meter fitted on 1st December 2016 and have not had a bill since. Although my usage history seems to be being captured and there are costs stated for each month no bill has been generated.

I should be showing a credit of £890.90 but my balance is showing as £600 though my payment history show it should be £890.90.

Hi @golfer110

@Mattj3135 has raised a great point about that interest reward. That said, we want to get your account billed up to date so that you know you're paying the right amount.

It sounds like there's been a delay with updating your account with the new meter details. I can chase up the engineer about this, but I need some account details first. I'll PM you to confirm what I need.

Hope this helps,
Tim
The billing department seems to have stopped work completely as I also hadnt had a bill since February, nor any requests for meter readings. Phoned them to get it corrected and they have removed all my meter readings and given me an estimated bill. Clowns!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
The billing department seems to have stopped work completely as I also hadnt had a bill since February, nor any requests for meter readings. Phoned them to get it corrected and they have removed all my meter readings and given me an estimated bill. Clowns!

Hi @buzzard I notice you've posted in a few topics regarding a similar issue.

Given you've made contact already with ovo and haven't resolved matters please drop either @Lucy_OVO or @Tim_OVO a private message with your full name, address, ovo account number and brief details of the issue and they will look into this for you.
I have tried messaging here and you want my date of birth, which I refuse to post here, even in a pm.

So I publicise the fact that your billing system is a total failure. I may phone up again and waste more of my time dealing with your incompetence.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I have tried messaging here and you want my date of birth, which I refuse to post here, even in a pm.

So I publicise the fact that your billing system is a total failure. I may phone up again and waste more of my time dealing with your incompetence.

Hi @buzzard, thanks for clarifying. When one of the moderators asked for your date of birth through private message, it's a standard security question so they know they're talking to the right person. I can confirm your private messages are strictly available to only yourself and the moderator which is being sent too. If it causes you concern ask that the private conversation be deleted afterwards?

Just to be clear I do not work for ovo - I'm a fellow customer helping folks get things sorted.

Given What you've said I would strongly recommend you submit a complaint to ensure this is resolved swiftly. Link to doing this in my other post.
To correct their incompetence they dont need security information. I am only asking them to do something that they should be doing anyway, not changing a direct debit or something for which security information would be necessary. They could have looked up the account and corrected their incompetence. They didn't.

No sensible person gives incompetents information they don't need. As the very recent problems with the NHS systems have reminded everyone computer systems are not always secure.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
To correct their incompetence they dont need security information. I am only asking them to do something that they should be doing anyway, not changing a direct debit or something for which security information would be necessary. They could have looked up the account and corrected their incompetence. They didn't.

No sensible person gives incompetents information they don't need. As the very recent problems with the NHS systems have reminded everyone computer systems are not always secure.

Hi @buzzard I appreciate your concerns following the recent NHS cyber attacks. I understand your concern about being asked your date of birth but as mentioned its to ensure they have the right account and are talking to the correct person - we wouldn't want them to make this change to another customers account and not yours.

As mentioned previously if you've had contact with one of the forum moderators and are still dissatisfied the next course of action is to make a complaint, you can do this online here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/feedback - by doing this it will ensure ovo can give a full response to the issues you've been experiencing.
I've already filled in the complaint form - my previous experience of doing so is that it doesnt work either, you still have to phone up. We'll see if it is any better this time.

I'm afraid I totally disagree with your comment. I have never asked them to stop billing me. It is normal practise - and part of my contract with Ovo - that they bill me. Therefore they did not need - and should not require - security information to correct a mistake THEY made. As for not wanting them to do it to someone else's account - unless someone has REQUESTED they dont get a bill then yes, they should be making the change for other people too. Incompetence should be corrected for everyone as soon as they are informed of it.

If you wish to be helpful posting this ink would have been more useful. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I've already filled in the complaint form - my previous experience of doing so is that it doesnt work either, you still have to phone up. We'll see if it is any better this time.

I'm afraid I totally disagree with your comment. I have never asked them to stop billing me. It is normal practise - and part of my contract with Ovo - that they bill me. Therefore they did not need - and should not require - security information to correct a mistake THEY made. As for not wanting them to do it to someone else's account - unless someone has REQUESTED they dont get a bill then yes, they should be making the change for other people too. Incompetence should be corrected for everyone as soon as they are informed of it.

If you wish to be helpful posting this ink would have been more useful. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier

Hi @buzzard

Thanks for getting in touch, and thanks @Mattj3135 for your advice.

If you've completed that complaint form, our Care team will be making contact with you this week. For us to help on the forum, via Facebook or Twitter, we need to pass security checks before even accessing your account. A way to avoid this would be to contact our Care team by phone, or from the registered email address.

I hope this gets sorted quickly,
Tim
I am currently using a smart meter for both my gas and electric, however, i am continually being asked for meter readings. I have already complained to Ovo customer services, i did get a call back and the reason given was that i had asked for my meters to be monitored on a monthly basis and is therefore not being calculated on a monthly basis, the lady from customer services suggested that i have my meter monitored ever half an hour so as to stop this happening, so i said that would be great and got an e mail to tell me that the half hour monitoring is now up and running. That was only a couple of months ago and i am again being asked for meter readings every time i log in. I am retired and the meters are under that stairs therefore not easily accessible, the original meters were much easier to read on a monthly basis as i only had to look at them to get the readings monthly. My question is i am fed up of these smart meters and is it possible to go back to the traditional meters i had before, i really have no issues giving monthly readings as i did before.

Paul
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Paulie welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry to learn of these difficulties, given you've reached out to customer service before and the matter still isn't resolved my advice on this occasion is to click on @Tim_OVO, then send a private message to him with your name, address, OVO account number & date of birth - Tim can then look into your account and discuss this with you in private chat.

Fear not @Tim_OVO is a wonderful chap and will help get this sorted one way or another 🙂
had smart meters fitted 26 May. Went on my ovo page, to get statement, to find message stating you have not had a reading from the meters and I had to give readings. Does this not defeat the point of the smart meter?

Can you confirm that meters are communicating and I will get an accurate statement, soon.

Disappointing start to your new technology
I am currently using a smart meter for both my gas and electric, however, i am continually being asked for meter readings. I have already complained to Ovo customer services, i did get a call back and the reason given was that i had asked for my meters to be monitored on a monthly basis and is therefore not being calculated on a monthly basis, the lady from customer services suggested that i have my meter monitored ever half an hour so as to stop this happening, so i said that would be great and got an e mail to tell me that the half hour monitoring is now up and running. That was only a couple of months ago and i am again being asked for meter readings every time i log in. I am retired and the meters are under that stairs therefore not easily accessible, the original meters were much easier to read on a monthly basis as i only had to look at them to get the readings monthly. My question is i am fed up of these smart meters and is it possible to go back to the traditional meters i had before, i really have no issues giving monthly readings as i did before.

Paul

Hey @Paulie

I've moved your question over to this similar topic so you can find some answers in the discussion.

As @Mattj3135 mentioned, you can drop @Tim_OVO a PM with your details so he can look into this for you. Alternatively, feel free to drop me a PM and I can look into it for you.

Hope this helps,
Emma
had smart meters fitted 26 May. Went on my ovo page, to get statement, to find message stating you have not had a reading from the meters and I had to give readings. Does this not defeat the point of the smart meter?

Can you confirm that meters are communicating and I will get an accurate statement, soon.

Disappointing start to your new technology

Thanks for posting, @tim

As we already have a topic on this, I've merged your query into here so you can have a read through the discussion.

In short, it can take up to 6 weeks following a meter exchange for us to update your account and national database with the new meter details. As your smart meters were only installed on 26/05/17, your online account hasn't been updated to know you've got smart meters and to not ask you for readings.

If after 6 weeks you haven't received a bill or your My OVO account hasn't updated, send me a PM with your full name, DoB and account number so I can look into it for you.

Hope this helps,
Emma
Hi Tim

It might be because you asked for your meter to be read once a month which apparently in my case knocked the timing out. i have altered mine to be read every half hour which Ovo said should solve the problem, they should have done it a month ago but maybe they didn't as they have suggested it this time. Time will tell fingers crossed.

As it stands at the moment i was better off keeping my old meter as i could see the readings, however with these new meters i have to empty the under stairs cupboard as i now have to press a button to get my reading.

I have requested the existing meter type back, but to do this Ovo will charge me £150, so I'm hoping it is now sorted.

Paul
Hi Paul,
Thank you...I did have the meter set up for 30 min readings. I was going to enquire about reverting, but at £150 - no go.

Hi Emma,
Thanks for the info.....Maybe your customer service team and installers could be advised to tell new customers this?? I specifically asked, prior to the change, if I needed to take a reading for the end of May and was just told "No, our new meters will take over and do it for you." - This was from customer service, not the installer. Hence the confusion when my portal says I need to supply readings.

Tim
Hi @tim

You're right, It certainly is something we could make clearer. We're always looking for ways to improve the customer experience, and I'll make sure this feedback is passed onto our team as something to look into.

Thanks,
Emily
I have had the same issue. My gas usage is not calculating, although my electricity is. I've had my smart meter for a couple of months now. When can I expect the gas usage to be updated and an accurate bill produced?
I have had the same issue. My gas usage is not calculating, although my electricity is. I've had my smart meter for a couple of months now. When can I expect the gas usage to be updated and an accurate bill produced?

Thanks for posting, @jujo01

As the meters were installed a couple of months ago, I'd be happy to chase this up for you. Please can you PM me your full name, DoB and account number?

Thanks,
Emma
Hello Emma, how do I PM you?
Hello Emma, how do I PM you?

Hey @jujo01

I've just picked up your PM and sent you a reply!

Thanks,
Emma