Solved

Smart meter not helping - My OVO doesn't offer accurate costs - is this right?

• 14 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Had the smart meter since Jan 3rd, so about six weeks and I have to say it’s a bit of a disappointment in that it doesn’t tell me anything I didn’t know already. For example, the weather’s been really bad this past week. So guess what? The graph shows spikes in electric and gas use because the heating’s been on for longer and we’ve had to use the washing machine and tumble dryer more frequently. Well, I already knew that! Perhaps the most disappointing thing is that the dual fuel costs displayed on the home screen appear to be totally disconnected from the monthly bill I’ve just received. So, unless I’m missing something, you can’t anticipate what your bill is going to be to help you manage your budget, and it shows the bleeding obvious in terms of gas and electric consumption across the day or week. So why bother with an Ovo smart meter (and the Ovo app gives me a pop up window when I log in telling me you haven’t received any meter readings from me for around 70 days until I close it, and the app then tells me the smart meter’s working and I’m up to date!). All a waste of time so far. I was hoping it would help me forecast my fuel costs compared to budgets and give me an estimated bill reading based on those along the way through the month. But it doesn’t.
icon

Best answer by Bumblebee 14 February 2018, 22:46

Hello there 🙂 To the best of my knowledge MyOvo may well have yet to be updated for you, as you have have had your smart meter a relatively brief period of time - it may still think you are on your old credit meter.

Your new meter should be "talking" to Ovo every 30 minutes and therefore will be very accurate once your bills are generated.

I have noticed the MyOvo site can take a while to catch up but it should do shortly, then you will be able to start seeing what is costing you the most and all the little perks of a smart meter, as you say most of these things are obvious on the meter to those in the know but for people trying to save money or on a very limited budget these things can be heaven sent.

Hope this helps somewhat, I'm not a genius so if you need further help the Customer Care people on Facebook are best to speak to, they will be back in the morning. Here's hoping your MyOvo updates soon.

All the best, Tris 🙂
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello there 🙂 To the best of my knowledge MyOvo may well have yet to be updated for you, as you have have had your smart meter a relatively brief period of time - it may still think you are on your old credit meter.

Your new meter should be "talking" to Ovo every 30 minutes and therefore will be very accurate once your bills are generated.

I have noticed the MyOvo site can take a while to catch up but it should do shortly, then you will be able to start seeing what is costing you the most and all the little perks of a smart meter, as you say most of these things are obvious on the meter to those in the know but for people trying to save money or on a very limited budget these things can be heaven sent.

Hope this helps somewhat, I'm not a genius so if you need further help the Customer Care people on Facebook are best to speak to, they will be back in the morning. Here's hoping your MyOvo updates soon.

All the best, Tris 🙂
Thanks Tris. I will try to be a little more optimistic in the light of your comments!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Very pleased 🙂 Trust me in the near future you will have no regrets :)

All the best 🙂
Excellent, thanks