Self Service - Why phone or email, when you can do it yourself!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
We’re always working on ways to help customers take control of their energy usage and manage their account. We are all time poor so we don’t want you to waste time calling us or emailing and waiting for a reply, if you don’t need to. Instead we provide so many ways to quickly and easily manage your energy account yourself.

If you signed up to our Online Discount, you told us you love to self serve and don't want to call us, another reason we make all of these great self serve options available to all customers.

So how do I self serve?
Every customer has the option to self serve via our app (for Apple, for Android), or on My OVO.

On these platforms you can:
- View and submit meter readings
- Compare historic usage in kWh or £, and browse any statement we've sent you
- Check and change your Direct Debit amount, make a payment or initiate a refund
- View and edit your personal info and tariff
- Browse and add tariff upgrades, perks and offers

What if I need help....?
That’s pretty much everything needed to maintain your OVO account all year round. Of course sometimes things don’t go to plan. But before you reach for the phone, we’ve got your self service problem solving journey covered as well.

First and foremost, there’s this very forum! Search for your query and see if anyone’s had the same thing solved already. If not, post the question yourself and one of our lovely forum users will assist. Because the forum is available 24/7, you can post anytime, anywhere making it super convenient for you.

Lastly but by no means least, we have our fantastic OVO Help section, with loads of a support pages on everything energy related! Again, simple to read and find information on the go, saving you time and effort.

Your feedback is always welcome!
So whatever your preference, you're the one in control. How do you keep things on track? What's the easiest way to manage your account or get a query solved? Leave a comment below so we can keep our self service options as helpful as possible!

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Speaking of self service: check out these new topics for the latest info on the Self Service Reward, and changes in our T&Cs this October 2018:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ovo-loyalty-rewards-and-t-c-s-52/new-self-service-reward-what-s-changing-4915

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ovo-loyalty-rewards-and-t-c-s-52/how-to-contact-ovo-after-changes-to-terms-and-conditions-from-1st-october-4974
Great. Now we can't even email without being charged. The forum is no use if you have an account problem (caused by ovo) because of personal information.
I can't even complain about being charged because I'll be charged again for making the complaint.
What should I do if I have a technical problem which isn't my fault?
And how can I get the money back that ovo shouldn't have taken?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Erm... @ECL I don't think you've grasped how the SSR is being applied. It's not the draconian imposition that you might suppose.

Firstly, You can't lose the SSR for any matter which forms a complaint. That would contravene OVO's published Complaints Procedure which gets audited by Ofgem.

Secondly, you can only lose the SSR for matters which you could resolve yourself - via the help-pages, the My OVO page or here on the Forum.

Quite a lot of account issues can be resolved here without any of us needing to know your personal information or details of your Statements. Last week I was able to tell someone where to find how much they had earned in Interest Reward on their account credit.

It is true that when you telephone Customer Services you will be warned at the outset that you can lose your SSR payment for that quarter. However, you can then outline why you have called and state that this cannot be resolved by yourself. It is usual for CS to end the call by confirming that your SSR is unaffected.

I had a half-hour lunch-time discussion with two of the Moderators about the SSR when I was in OVO Offices at the beginning of December. So I now have quite a good grasp of it.

You are welcome to post here and request clarification of any issue where you think the SSR might be applied in a manner detrimental to the customer. If you raise an issue which OVO haven't yet considered, then it's quite possible for the Moderators to flag this up internally and amend the guidelines used within CS.
Thank you for your detailed response. The information is useful, however, I don't think you've grasped what a lot of time and effort it now is to sort out a small problem. I spent around four hours trying to find out why I had been charged for sending an email and what I could do about it. It has not been sorted out yet.
If you are the type of person who loves social media (and has time for it), this system is probably okay. If you are not, then it is not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I agree with your observations, @ECL

The time & effort is the very point that OVO are wanting to establish as the basis of why many customers do not want to handle their own account online. That's why they are prepared to pay £30 per fuel in order for Customer Services to handle all their enquiries.

The problem which had emerged is that OVO's CS staff were spending a significant amount of time handling enquiries from customers (like myself) who had signed up on a Contract that had an Online Discount.

So the customers who couldn't cope with resolving issues themselves were not enjoying the very service that they were entitled to.

A high percentage of customers migrate to OVO because of the highly-rated customer support staff. This Department has won them National Awards over the years. It's not just a personal opinion!

I've visited OVO's HQ in Bristol (on a number of occasions) and had the opportunity to meet staff who are carefully recruited and trained to fulfil this role. It makes no sense to then have such a large proportion of their time taken up with queries which could be readily resolved online... especially when those queries are coming from customers who are not entitled to receive that level of support under the Contract they opted for.

I do not work for OVO. Nor do I work in the energy sector elsewhere.

However, I do have experience as a Company Director, and I understand why OVO's Board have needed to take steps to preserve their most precious asset... the skilled staff who manage the links to customers. That's why the Online Discount has been replaced with the Self-Service Reward system.

Even those of us who signed up for an Online Discount Tariff can now contact Customer Services to save us time and hassle. But if I decide to do that, then I forfeit £7.50 for the current quarter.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Not wishing to sound too cynical but surely the self service system only works if someone at OVO can be bothered to reply. I'm still waiting for a response to my email from hello@ovoenergy.com as to why my December bill did not include any gas charges. I've even taken to these forums but as yet nobody has responded. As a last resort I even sent a private message to one of the moderators and again I've heard nothing.

Would it be fair to assume nobody at OVO has got my 'self service problem solving journey covered'?

It's one thing to say customers who couldn't cope with resolving issues themselves were not enjoying the very service that they were entitled to, but if no answers can be found what are we supposed to do? Surely 'self servicing' only works if all parties make the effort.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Transparent wrote:

It is true that when you telephone Customer Services you will be warned at the outset that you can lose your SSR payment for that quarter. However, you can then outline why you have called and state that this cannot be resolved by yourself. It is usual for CS to end the call by confirming that your SSR is unaffected.

Sorry to disagree but this is news to me, I've spent plenty of time on the phone to OVO in the last 12 months over billing & tariff rate issues which cannot be solved via other means and not once has anyone warned me from the outset that I could lose my SSR. Likewise none of the OVO staff have ever ended the call by saying my SSR is unaffected. I do however always ask if it will affect my SSR at the end of the call because I don't want to be penalised for things beyond my control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I'm not sure we're in that much disagreement @Slinky

Firstly, if the SSR hasn't been raised at the beginning of the call, and the subject matter is clearly something which wouldn't cause it to be forfeit, then it's not likely that a CS staff member will raise it out of the blue as the call ends.

Secondly, CS Staff can see on screen your previous contact record when you start the call. If it's already clear that there is a history of them needing to address an issue which you couldn't resolve yourself, they would also have no need to raise the matter of SSR. This would seem to apply in your case.

I'm actually quite heartened to see that they are aware enough of your plight to avoid mentioning the SSR. That's a sensible decision from a properly trained member of staff.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
@Transparent

Thanks for the feedback and for explaining things a little more clearly, hey what do I know? I'm only a customer and I don't suppose I'll ever fully understand the inner workings of OVO, much of the time I'm completely baffled how things can go so wrong.

Ironically I did receive a reply back from OVO today about my missing Gas bill which I mentioned above, same old excuses.., "there was an error with our systems". I'm mystified why I'm the only one effected by them, I didn't see anyone else complaining they hadn't been billed for their gas.

Talking of the SSR, I've noticed in the Gas bill that OVO sent me today I received £7.14 but there was nothing shown on my Electricity bill for the same period, does that sound right? Should I not have received it on both statements?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings