Solved

Randomly redirects to "pre-registering" page?

  • 3 April 2019
  • 8 replies
  • 111 views

Userlevel 2
I am a few months into a 24 month FP contract and all of a sudden my account diverts to the pre-registering page, the one with

Welcome to OVO

Thanks for choosing OVO to supply your home’s energy.

What's next:
  • We’re just processing your request. Please check back in a few days to view the progress of your switch.
  • We’ve sent you a confirmation email with details of your sign up.
You have a cooling-off period in which you can change your mind. This will finish 14 days after you signed up


except that I haven't chosen any change to contract terms and haven't received any emails from OVO. What is going on?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 11 April 2019, 16:47

Yes, I agree @TerryE It's almost certainly a logic error within the new in-house software which OVO are writing for all Billing and Usage Estimates. They made a decision over a year ago no longer to rely on 3rd party software.

I think it's still best filing it as a Complaint. Not only does this mean your email will get bounced through to the software team (who aren't based at OVO's Bristol Offices) but you'll get a very speedy response. Complaints must be addressed within 5 working days, and their handling gets Ofcom audited.

It may not seem that much of a problem at the moment, but you're able to identify a clear set of repeatable symptoms which Customer Services can follow up.

Similar glitches could be manifesting themselves elsewhere within the software, but less articulate customers may be struggling to say what's happening. This is especially a problem with intermittent errors. By the time they get reported, they may have disappeared again.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@TerryE That's definitely the best way to raise as @Nancy_OVO suggested this rather than a complaint. It is likely caused by processes behind the scenes and the transferring of data between us, our systems and the industry in regards to your reads and contract etc.

Be good to get this in front of our tech team so we can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for sharing this feedback, we are always looking to improve so this is super valuable.

Darran
Userlevel 2
This has happened again so I've raised the issue as you suggest.
Userlevel 6
Badge
@Transparent This typically happens for maybe 12 hrs then it certainly has recovered by the next day. As such it represents a temproary denial of service rather permanent failure. This sounds like some form of synchronisation timeout rather than my being falsely flagged as a new customer in a master database.

Hi @TerryE - have you contacted customer services to get this raised to the Tech team?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Yes, I agree @TerryE It's almost certainly a logic error within the new in-house software which OVO are writing for all Billing and Usage Estimates. They made a decision over a year ago no longer to rely on 3rd party software.

I think it's still best filing it as a Complaint. Not only does this mean your email will get bounced through to the software team (who aren't based at OVO's Bristol Offices) but you'll get a very speedy response. Complaints must be addressed within 5 working days, and their handling gets Ofcom audited.

It may not seem that much of a problem at the moment, but you're able to identify a clear set of repeatable symptoms which Customer Services can follow up.

Similar glitches could be manifesting themselves elsewhere within the software, but less articulate customers may be struggling to say what's happening. This is especially a problem with intermittent errors. By the time they get reported, they may have disappeared again.
Userlevel 2
@Transparent This typically happens for maybe 12 hrs then it certainly has recovered by the next day. As such it represents a temproary denial of service rather permanent failure. This sounds like some form of synchronisation timeout rather than my being falsely flagged as a new customer in a master database.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again @TerryE You can simply email to hello@ovoenergy.com and put the word "Complaint" in the subject line and at the start of the body-text.

Make sure you provide adequate information for Customer Services to identify you as the genuine account holder (billing address, account number etc).

OVO have an excellent record of resolving matters through their Complaints Procedure. I doubt it will take them long to simply change the "flag" in their database which has incorrectly identified you as a new customer. Please do not open a new account. This would technically avoid the current problem, but could create new ones in months to come when your current contract theoretically ends!
Userlevel 2
This is happening again.

I can't find to register problem reports, other than "general feedback".

This defaulting under some internal error conditions to claiming that I've requested an account change is really a very basic logic error that your dev teams should rectify. Not good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
O-er @TerryE

That sounds like a glitch with the billing software.

A similar problem occurred at the beginning of 2019. Have a look at the response I gave to two customers on this other Topic back then.

Reply