Solved

Password reset error - how do I log in on the new online system?

Hi, I am trying to log into My Ovo, but it needs me to reset my password because Ovo have moved the account to their new online system. 

I get the email to reset my password and click through and write a new one and then get an error that says “Your password reset link is invalid or expired.”

I have tried sending a new reset link over 10 times and tried different devices. What am I meant to do as I am now late submitting meter readings. 

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 9 March 2020, 17:21

View original

58 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 04/07/23 by Tim_OVO: Got issues registering or resetting a password for your OVO app or online account? We’ve made a recent change that might help:

OVO customers should ideally complete these steps in the web portal (online account) first. Once complete, these details will be copied over and available for use in the OVO App.

• Select the option at the bottom of the reset email "open this email in your browser"

This should then allow you to follow the steps as prompted and login into your account.

Please note: This has been extensively tested and in the vast majority of cases will resolve the issue. However, there are still some issues with users of any Microsoft email domains such as Hotmail, Live, Outlook, Microsoft. We are working on the resolution for these customers and will update once a fix is made available.

There may still be issues for other customers with different email domains but these could be related to something else. See the advice below for some ideas to try, and let us know in the comments below if you still have an issue resetting your password. Alternatively our Support team may be able to advise with this. 

Password Resets

You can reset your password by clicking here.

• There's no difference between ‘First time logging in?’ and ‘Reset my password’
  • Password reset emails expire after six hours or if a newer password reset is requested within that time
  • A reset email is only sent if the email address used matches a registered email address
  • If multiple password reset emails are sent, only the most recent one is valid

The criteria for setting a password is:

• At least 8 characters

• At least 1 upper case letter

• At least 1 lower case letter

• At least 1 number

• At least 1 special character (!?£@#$%)

Haven’t received a password reset email?

There are no known issues with the password reset platform and reset emails are typically delivered within seconds.

If you haven’t received the email then it’s usually caused by the following:

Your email inbox hasn’t refreshed

The email may have been delivered but hasn’t synced on the member's device/browser. This could be due to a network issue or because their email client is set to refresh on a schedule, e.g. every 15 minutes. Try refreshing this manually.

The email has been filtered as junk/spam

You should also check that you haven’t accidentally marked us as ‘Spam’ or blacklisted emails from hello@ovoenergy.com or noreply@ovoenergy.com.

The email address you’ve got registered has recently been changed on our systems and hasn’t had time to update on your online account

If you've changed your registered email address it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this to update. In this case, try and request a password rest email the following day.

If none of the above is successful

Check you’re using the most recent version of the app (try deleting and re-downloading for Android and iOS) or Google Chrome browser if logging in to your online account.

Try disabling any password managers that may be interfering with the login details you’re entering.

You should also try:

• Logging in via the app if you can’t login via a browser (or vice-versa).

• Using a different device or browser (Chrome is recommended).

• Clear cache/cookies on browser.

• Clear cache and app data then uninstall/reinstall the app.

• Waiting a day for any changes you've made to update across all systems

If you've followed all of these steps and you're confident there's still a login issue with your online account or the OVO App then contact the Support Team. If you can provide as much of the the following information as possible we’ll then be able to forward this on to our Tech team if required:

• Mention all actions you have taken already.

• The correct email address that you’d would like to use.

• Are you trying to login using the app or browser?

• What device, OS and browser are you using?

• Are there any specific error messages? This does not include 'Wrong Email or Password'.

• How long has this been occurring?

• Relevant screenshots are always welcome and useful.

Hope this helps get things sorted - There’s more great advice on our Online Account Tutorial Collection:punch:

Hi @Nancy_OVO 

I am clicked immediately after receiving the link. 

I do not have Facebook. I guess I will have to call?

Userlevel 5

You can message the team if you didn’t want to call, @vinn2020,  through FacebookTwitter and our Help centre has online chat!

In the password reset link email we’ve sent there will be an alternative link at the bottom which is quite long - this link will work if the main one doesn’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hey @vinn2020 

I know I say this a lot on this forum but 9/10 it is the issue. Try opening the link via private browsing. What web browser do you use? Internet explorer, Google chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, Opera?

Regards

I have just been sent email saying need to change password as account having new online system. Was a little wary as it stated direct debit would be stopped and then reinstated. I decided to go into account from old genuine email and this said same so changed password. Can anyone please clarify that this is genuine as seems little odd to just send email asking for password change albeit looks genuine. Thanks

It is a genuine email unfortunately.  The new site is not an improvement on the old one.  

The new OVO website is  covered here :-  https://forum.ovoenergy.com/new-ovo-smart-meter-experience-116/new-ovo-website-account-experience-7324

Cheers for info

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Peg The entire Billing System is new and has been gradually brought into being during the past 3 months.

OVO’s software is now developed and managed in-house rather than them buying into a 3rd-party product.

You did exactly the right thing by logging in first using your old ID & Password. I wish more people took this basic precaution!  Have a gold star :star:

Thankyou

I have been having problems accesing my on=line access, I have tried to reset my password this has not worked, I don`t get a link to reset, I spoke to a member of OVO staff still no joy. I like to reguarly check my account on line one of the benifits of online, if I cannot do this I will look at swapping to another suppler

Userlevel 7
Badge

hello @Gorbo 

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried looking into your Spam/Junk folder? Also what email service are you using? Gmail? Yahoo? Sky? BT?

Yes I have tried all that, I use gmail which I have been using for years

Userlevel 4

@Gorbo - I’ve moved your post over here so you can have a look at the previous advice.

Have a read of the comments above, and if you still can’t it working getting in touch, as listed above. 

I have done that, this has been going on for some time, I lodged an error on 26/04/2020, on hello@ovo

I have not been able to access my account since then

Userlevel 4

I’d recommend trying to contact us through social media if you can, @Gorbo. We can respond much quicker and can get to the root of the problem to solve it for you.

If you don’t have social media, it may be worth sending a follow-up email to get an update.

Tried that no joy, will OVO waiver the exit fee! this has gone on long enough time to change compaines

Userlevel 7

Tried that no joy, 

It’s a real shame that this still isn’t sorted, @Gorbo 

It’s not clear if you’re not getting responses to your emails or social media posts, or if the issue can’t be fixed when you speak to our support teams. One thing’s for sure, our community won’t be able to diagnose this issue or update you on any outstanding tickets with our online portal teams. I’d recommend you reach out to our Support team (call, email or social media, see details above) for an update on the issue and also to discuss your exit fees. We won’t be able to help with either here. 

Please come back to update us though. If someone else has the same issue, they’d benefit from knowing the outcome. 

T

I have the same problem as a new customer. I tried in-private browsing too and all the other nonsense suggested. The link sent by Ovo for the password reset is always invalid.

Has anyone ever got through this password reset? How to use the link without geting the invalid message?????????

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble resetting your password and accessing your online account, @peterkiraly.

If you’ve followed the trouble-shooting steps above without success it might be time to get in touch with our Support Team to double-check there’s no technical issues with your account. The quickest way to reach the team is often via our webchat which you can access here.

Hope this helps.

I’ve just been forcibly moved from SSE, without consultation, to OVO. I’ve followed the instructions, to the letter, for setting up an online account. No joy. 

I’m experiencing the same issues as other users above, and the hundreds on Twitter who have reported the same issue over the past 12 months. (https://twitter.com/search?q=ovoenergy%20password&src=typed_query&f=live) There’s a fault on the OVO website. The password reset is a perpetual loop and it’s not possible to login. 

BTW, I speak from some experience, being a website designer and developer with 20+ years experience. 

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear of the difficulty you’ve had accessing your online account@tomtolkien.

As you mention your account has recently joined us, I’m wondering whether there’s any issues with the migration which might be the cause of the login difficulties.

Have you been in contact with the Support Team to double-check the migration is completed yet?

This is still not fixed.

I was moved to OVO from SSE months ago and have not yet been able to log in to my ‘OVO’ account so therefore never seen a bill breakdown, give a meter reading, etc.

I never receive a ‘change password’ email when I use the link.

The Support Team keep changing my email address as they say that is the problem. It is not.

I too work in IT and have done for 30 years. Here is my summation of the problem:

Users who have never set a password (like me as they have never been given the opportunity to) are not being sent password change emails as we have no password to change. 

Please pass that on to your development teams to check.

Userlevel 7

Hi @nookie,

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve been having getting into your online account. This similar thread may have some helpful advice:

If it’s none of the above, it may be a tech issue. I suggest...

• Try resetting your password via both the app and the website.

• Using a different device or browser (Chrome is recommended).

• Clear cache/cookies on browser.

• Clear cache and app data then uninstall/reinstall the app.

• Waiting a day for any changes you've made to update across all systems (it can take a while for the email address to update on our system).

•  

If this doesn’t work I'd advise contacting our support team so they can raise it to our Tech Experts. They can also submit your meter readings and send you your statements. 

I hope this helps!

I have had a confirmation email to say my OVO account is set up. I’ve confirmed my email address but every time I request a link to change my password I get the message the ‘Your password reset link is invalid or expired.’

I originally had an online account with SSE with no problem.

I am using Google Chrome to try and access my account.

How do I set my password so that I can activate my account?

Update: I have managed to set up my account and password but I had to do it via the app and not Chrome.