Pinned Solved

My OVO usage icons inaccurate - why?

Userlevel 1
I've noticed that on the homepage of My OVO, the icons showing usage compared to last month are inaccurate. Mine look like this:

I did use less gas in June compared to May, but I used more electricity. It is not showing the comparison for the month before either (so it's not a case of it not having caught up). The percentages are just twaddle as far as I can see.

It's been like this now for many months. Do other people find that theirs are accurate?
icon

Best answer by stateofit 4 July 2017, 11:17

My usage graph was similarly rubbish... I think it's trying to pull Monthly usage data from your statements, which Aren't necessarily Calendar Monthly, and also may include estimates, not certain, just feels like that...

What I Do know is that once I got smart meters that thing was transformed into something so detailed and accurate it's almost fascinating...

I can even look at a particular day and see how much energy I was using all throughout the day. I can see the 7am kettle spike, and the slightly bigger spike at 7,30 when the shower goes on... If something uses more then I thought I can See it...

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @swakeman welcome and thanks for posting.

As im not 100% sure on this am sure one of the lovely mods will let us know what the score is on this shortly!

@Emma_OVO @Tim_OVO @Emily_OVO or @Lucy_OVO
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
My usage graph was similarly rubbish... I think it's trying to pull Monthly usage data from your statements, which Aren't necessarily Calendar Monthly, and also may include estimates, not certain, just feels like that...

What I Do know is that once I got smart meters that thing was transformed into something so detailed and accurate it's almost fascinating...

I can even look at a particular day and see how much energy I was using all throughout the day. I can see the 7am kettle spike, and the slightly bigger spike at 7,30 when the shower goes on... If something uses more then I thought I can See it...

Userlevel 1
Smart metering is not something I'm on board with just yet. For me it's too new, there have been teething problems that I can do without and I don't particularly want to be a beta tester for new hardware of that nature. Plus I live in a building converted into 6 flats with communal gas and electricity meters in cupboards outside. When I approached OVO by email to ask questions about whether smart meters would still work at distance e.g. 50ft nobody could give me an answer.

Essentially I was advised to book an install and they'd tell me on the day when they got here yay or nay. I don't really fancy that if it's going to be a waste of time. I must admit I am interested in smart meters and the data they can show. Waiting for them to mature.

As for the figures being based on statements rather than actual months - can't see why that would make a difference. The figures would show my use compared to the last statement, which makes sense to me. I always submit my readings on the suggested day, so estimated figures probably don't play a part in it either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
stateofit wrote:

swakeman wrote:

Smart metering is not something I'm on board with just yet. For me it's too new, there have been teething problems that I can do without and I don't particularly want to be a beta tester for new hardware of that nature. Plus I live in a building converted into 6 flats with communal gas and electricity meters in cupboards outside. When I approached OVO by email to ask questions about whether smart meters would still work at distance e.g. 50ft nobody could give me an answer.

Essentially I was advised to book an install and they'd tell me on the day when they got here yay or nay. I don't really fancy that if it's going to be a waste of time. I must admit I am interested in smart meters and the data they can show. Waiting for them to mature.

As for the figures being based on statements rather than actual months - can't see why that would make a difference. The figures would show my use compared to the last statement, which makes sense to me. I always submit my readings on the suggested day, so estimated figures probably don't play a part in it either.

Nice post @swakeman and some good advice here from @stateofit - I've tweaked the title and added some tags to this topic to help other users find it and get involved!

Without smart meters sending us your readings regularly, we have seen the My OVO usage comparisons struggle at times. It's something we're working on. If you want me to take a look at your usage, bills and meter readings, I might be able to explain this. PM me with your account number, name and DoB so that I can.

As for those smart meters, you certainly don't have to get them fitted now. Feel free to sit back and wait for the next generation of meter currently in testing. Just be aware that you're missing out on some great usage visibility whilst you wait.

Tim
Userlevel 1
This is still as inaccurate now as it was 7 months ago, even though I submit accurate readings like clockwork. To demonstrate, the page is telling me that in February I used 26% more electricity and 37% less gas than the previous month.

In actuality I used approx 12% less of each when comparing the kWh usage numbers.

Why is this so hard for your website to get right? All it needs to do is calculate a percentage difference between two numbers. It’s not rocket science is it? So why has it still not been fixed to work properly when it’s so simple?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@swakeman this does sound odd. Could you reach out to the Social media team so they can take a look under the hood? Send over your details via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

^Tim
Userlevel 1
Tim_OVO wrote:

@swakeman this does sound odd. Could you reach out to the Social media team so they can take a look under the hood? Send over your details via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

^Tim

Hi Tim. I've emailed hello@ovoenergy and cited this topic along with providing a bit of background for it. I shall update this topic with any response I get. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
I got this response via email:

Thank you for taking the time to email regarding the graphs on your account.

Unfortunately the system does not seem to pick up data on manual reads.

If you had a Smart meter the system does recognize this data.

This is an ongoing issue but our technical team are working on it.

Your statements are up to date and correct.

We apologize for any confusion.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

So, nothing then. I don't think that's a good enough response. Like I said, it's a simple formula. You can't expect me to believe you have a team of people responsible for web content that can't figure out what the bug is? Suggesting the bug isn't an issue with a smart meter is sidestepping, I don't have one and shan't for the foreseeable.

My stance is you either need to fix this, because it's confusing and misleading or just get rid of it entirely. As it stands I've had an account with you for 2 years and the feature has never worked. Fix it or get shot of it please. This is so frustrating because it's such a piffling little thing that could be easily fixed.
Userlevel 1
The message under the usage graph has read that you are working to make improvements on it ever since I joined OVO 3 years ago.

So, OVO... I'm putting it to you now. Do you ACTUALLY intend to make good on this statement or is it just fluff? The way I see it is that you are actively neglecting customers who aren't opting to go with a smart meter by not taking any action to get this technical gaff sorted.

If you aren't going to put any effort into fixing this then you should remove all traces of it from your website and user accounts because it's completely and utterly useless.

Here's what my page says at the moment:

For a minute I thought my etherium mining operation and powering my ecto containment unit were finally being reflected in my daily electricity costs but it's showing on my gas instead, and neither of those ops use gas.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close