Solved

My OVO account has been hacked - can you help?

• 11 June 2017
  • 6 replies

My email address linked to my ovo account has been hacked alongside everything relating to it. I can't log in because someone has changed my password and I can't access the hacked email because that too has had it's password and security questions changed.
I'm really concerned because all my bank details are on it and I can no longer top up my energy. There's no emergency number to call in the event of a security breach and you aren't open till Monday. Can anyone advise?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 11 June 2017, 18:01

My email address linked to my ovo account has been hacked alongside everything relating to it. I can't log in because someone has changed my password and I can't access the hacked email because that too has had it's password and security questions changed.
I'm really concerned because all my bank details are on it and I can no longer top up my energy. There's no emergency number to call in the event of a security breach and you aren't open till Monday. Can anyone advise?

Sorry to hear about this, @Liz

As @johnovocustomer advised, please prioritise contacting your bank about this. We will be able to create a brand new OVO account for you next week. I'll send you a PM now to ask for the details needed.

If you need an online account to top up, that means you're PAYG+ with smart meters. You'll have a non disconnect period until 10am Monday morning, so we can get this sorted for you in time to avoid you going off supply.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

6 replies

Liz - the most important thing is to notify your bank NOW. If someone has access to your account your bank can prevent them emptying it. Deal with OVO first thing Monday as soon as they open. your email account provider can help you if you let them know asap by blocking access to the account so go on their website. Never had to do it , but I imagine they have automated systems to deal with it. you are likely to be asked for answers to any security questions you have used or out of date passwords (not current). ~Good Luck
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Liz welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Firstly am so sorry to hear of this terrible experience, I have first hand experience of being hacked and the subsequent results.

@johnovocustomer is spot on here - first thing is to contact your bank and alert them to the hack - I'm sure they wouldn't be able to see full banking details on your My OVO section as they appear with a series of xxxx then the last few digits.

I advise you to be extra cautious over the coming weeks when discussing anything personal to any unverified sources over the telephone as it's happened to other people previously where they received malicious phone calls pretending to be various companies.

In relation to your OVO account the best way of getting this fixed is if you drop @Darran_OVO with your full name, address, OVO account number & date of birth - Darren can discuss and ask one of the moderators to help you out with this via private message. Any response will be limited until tomorrow when Darran and the team return to work .

In relation to topping up - do you still have the top up card to make a top up at your local pay point outlet? If not - when you private message @Darran_OVO if you ask for your top up number (assuming you're on smart meters) - he can give you the code to make a top up without the card to maintain supply whilst you secure your account and personal information.

It would be advisable to change your email account password and any other accounts that have the same password to prevent any further breaches of your security.

You may find this website useful and their services should you feel the need for the extra protection: https://www.cifas.org.uk

Good luck - @Darran_OVO and the team will do all they can to help you when they pick this up!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Tim_OVO can you help here please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry to hear about this, @Liz

As @johnovocustomer advised, please prioritise contacting your bank about this. We will be able to create a brand new OVO account for you next week. I'll send you a PM now to ask for the details needed.

If you need an online account to top up, that means you're PAYG+ with smart meters. You'll have a non disconnect period until 10am Monday morning, so we can get this sorted for you in time to avoid you going off supply.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Liz, did you manage to get this resolved this morning?

I know @Tim_OVO sent you a message, so I hope you got that ok.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Darran
At 2:45 I received an email saying I had changed my email address which I haven't. I immediately tried to log into myovo but can't and the only way to request a new password is via email which has been changed.

I can't contact anyone until Monday, by which time I expect they will have changed the bank details and emptied my account of the credit balance in there. How can I get my account locked down until I can get back in myself?

Help!
Anthony