Solved

Moved into house, previously tenants used OVO, how do I pay the bill?

• 13 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I recently moved into a new rental house and set up a new energy supplier. Ovo supplied the previous tenants.

I've now received a bill for the time during the switch: between moving in and switching to a new supplier. That's fine (though see note below), but I don't know how to pay it? I can't see anything in the letter about how to pay and I can't see how to set up a new account on the website to pay through. Any ideas what I'm expected to do?

Note: The charge period is from before we actually moved in, and doesn't have the latest readings (e.g. we moved in on the 15th, reading 1494; Ovo is charging us from the 3rd, reading 1290). I presume Ovo can update the charge period and charge the rest to the previous tenants?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 13 September 2019, 20:55

Hi @juerga and welcome to the Forum.

You can't just set up a new account to pay that bill. If you tried to do so, OVO would send your request to ECOES, the National Meter Database, who would then initiate a switch away from your new supplier and back to them!

As the amounts also don't tally, this could hold up the switch away from OVO that you're trying to implement. ECOES should spot the anomaly and suspend the switch process whilst meter readings are verified... which is not want you want

Your best approach is to send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com and tell them clearly who you are.

You should provide each date in the move process, together with the dates of the readings. You are not liable for any usage prior to the legal date of you taking possession of the house, as stated in the rental contract.

OVO have a way of handling this, which is likely to include cancelling the bill you now have and issuing another in your name. It's that Final Bill which will enable ECOES to progress the switch you are trying to achieve.

For further background info, have a look at this other Topic which discussed a similar scenario.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @juerga and welcome to the Forum.

You can't just set up a new account to pay that bill. If you tried to do so, OVO would send your request to ECOES, the National Meter Database, who would then initiate a switch away from your new supplier and back to them!

As the amounts also don't tally, this could hold up the switch away from OVO that you're trying to implement. ECOES should spot the anomaly and suspend the switch process whilst meter readings are verified... which is not want you want

Your best approach is to send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com and tell them clearly who you are.

You should provide each date in the move process, together with the dates of the readings. You are not liable for any usage prior to the legal date of you taking possession of the house, as stated in the rental contract.

OVO have a way of handling this, which is likely to include cancelling the bill you now have and issuing another in your name. It's that Final Bill which will enable ECOES to progress the switch you are trying to achieve.

For further background info, have a look at this other Topic which discussed a similar scenario.
Thanks @Transparent, I'll send them an email.
Hi, OVO was the previous tenants supplier for gas and energy, I have now switched over to bulb who take care of informing you guys about the switch and have done so. I am just wondering how to set up an account with you guys to pay the final statement without doing it through signing up for a quote?

Thanks
Userlevel 5

We had a similar question on this, @popdiggy, so I’ve moved your query here!

You wouldn’t need to sign up to us, but you would need to get an account set up. You can do this here.