Solved

Inaccurate costs in £ showing on My OVO compared to In Home Display (IHD) - why?

• 16 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I am seeing a difference in the cost showing in myOvo compared to the IHD of my smartmeter. For example:
Electric usage on 15 Jan: 20.55kWh (same in myOvo and IHD)
MyOvo cost: £2.21
IHD cost: £2.68

Gas is similar:
Usage: 47.78kWh
MyOvo cost: £1.88
IHD cost: £1.96

I have recently moved to economy 7 so difficult to check for electric, but my gas tariff is 3.33 + 27.4 standing charge + VAT which would come out at £1.96. I am therefore confident that the IHD is reporting correctly and myOvo is inaccurate.

The standing charge or VAT would not account for these differences. Any idea what is wrong? Anybody else noticing any differences?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 January 2018, 18:05

Interesting one, @Paul

If the usage is the same on the In Home Display (IHD) and My OVO, but the costs are different, this is more then likely related to the tariff prices being used.

I'm not sure which IHD you have, but if it's the Pipet 500 you can view your unit rates on the 'Tariff' section. With the Chameleon IHD select which fuel and press 'OK' twice to confirm the tariff prices.

Feel free to share some pictures of what you see and maybe another user can offer some other suggestions.

Tim
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Update: I switched to economy 7 in early January. So just checked the cost reported for December in myOvo and this was reporting correctly. I am therefore guessing that the problem occurred when I switched tariff. The calculation isn’t using my actual rates, or even my old rates - it’s reporting too low, especially for electric. My Profile is showing the correct tariff, but this clearly isn’t feeding through into the Usage page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Interesting one, @Paul

If the usage is the same on the In Home Display (IHD) and My OVO, but the costs are different, this is more then likely related to the tariff prices being used.

I'm not sure which IHD you have, but if it's the Pipet 500 you can view your unit rates on the 'Tariff' section. With the Chameleon IHD select which fuel and press 'OK' twice to confirm the tariff prices.

Feel free to share some pictures of what you see and maybe another user can offer some other suggestions.

Tim
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Tim_OVO, I have the pipet. The tariff prices on this device mirror the tariff on the My Profile Page on MyOvo (after adjusting for VAT) and they both correspond with my contract. It is the estimated or actual cost on the Usage page of My OVO that is inaccurate - as you say, it is using the wrong unit pricing for some reason. I guess the calculations that drive this page don’t derive the pricing data from the same source as the My Profile page.

However, I was just going to post some pictures up, and the problem looks like it has been resolved. I guess a glitch in the system. Unfortunately, this means my estimated bill in MyOvo has shot up - but I was expecting this as it was significantly under reporting.
My IHD is showing 45 kWh gas usage for today but the app is showing 20 kWh shouldn’t they be showing the same number?
Do I need to reset the IHD?
Hello, I’ve just had a smart meter fitted and I’m on the Better Energy Online Tariff. On the photo attached the meter says that the 27 kWh of electricity I used yesterday cost £40.86. This sounds excessive for one days use especially as we have gas central heating. Does the tariff information in the IHD get received directly from OVO? My electricity cost can’t be right for one day. Is there a way to adjust the tariff info in the IHD. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
On the photo attached the meter says that the 27 kWh of electricity I used yesterday cost £40.86. This sounds excessive for one days

It sounds like the tariff info loaded onto the smart meter and IHD is wrong - this won't effect your billing but would show larger then normal costs per kWh.

Email us to get this checked: hello@ovoenergy.com
Hello,

I've had a smart meter installed last Friday and the bill estimate it's displaying is completely inaccurate (5-10 times the normal cost) - is it gonna normalize or do I have to do anything?

Every day is estimated to cost £8-12 (i.e. 10x times the normal monthly bill)

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Sounds like the tariff loaded onto the smart meter and In Home Display is wrong @chris123

This would result in wrong costs (see this topic for more info)

To get the tariff checked and updated, send over an email: hello@ovoenergy.com

☺