Solved

I've got smart meters, so why did someone come to read my meters?

• 10 January 2019
  • 10 replies

Hi. I am a bit concerned that, even though I have a smart meter, someone from Morrisons called to read my meter. I thought having a smart meter obviated having someone call to the house. Fortunately my daughter was at my house at the time as, if I had been on my own, it would have made me very uncomfortable.
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 15 January 2019, 13:09

Hey @RitaP,

We're required to try and read the meters at least twice a year, it doesn't matter whether they're smart or not.

Morrison's are our data collectors, so they'll read the meters on our behalf.

If you're ever unsure, you can always ask the person for ID - they'd always be happy to show this.

Thanks,
Eva
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@RitaP

Sorry, If I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying a random person from Morrisons called to check your smart meter? If so, I am not sure of this being a thing. @Darran_OVO @Nancy_OVO Any thoughts?
Yes, it was someone coming to my door to read my smart meter. He took a photo on his phone of the smart meter. By Morrisons I don't mean the supermarket but that was the name on his jacket. I can't remember what else was on the jacket.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@RitaP

You might have been visited by these guys: https://www.morrisonds.com/utilities-data-retrieval/

They're a data management & collection company and yes OVO is one of their clients. Whether he was collecting data for analysis rather than reading your meter for billing purposes remains unclear however. I'd never heard of this company until you mentioned them.

OVO should be able to clarify who they are and what they visited your property for.
Thank you for your help. I have now emailed OVO to confirm.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@RitaP

Let's hope you find the answer you're looking for. Fancy Morrison's reading meters, I thought they only sold food..., LOL!!!! 😆
Have a 91+ relative with OVO and smart meter for some time.She informed us that at 7.30am she had 'someone' from OVO requesting to read the meters and the internal smart meter.Im not sure if legit as I didnt think they read meters when you have Smart installed.That and knocking on a 91 year olds door at 7.30 in the morning isnt very sociable. Just need a little resuurance for her as cannot confirm with OVO staff as office not open weekends!
Userlevel 5
Hey @RitaP,

We're required to try and read the meters at least twice a year, it doesn't matter whether they're smart or not.

Morrison's are our data collectors, so they'll read the meters on our behalf.

If you're ever unsure, you can always ask the person for ID - they'd always be happy to show this.

Thanks,
Eva
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Eva_OVO

Would it not make sense to notify your customers by way of an email that 'Morrisons' read your meters? Had the same thing happened to me, requesting ID would not have made any difference. I wouldn't let a company I've never heard of or even be expecting come in and read my meters, especially if they were inside my property.., there's far too many instances of con-men worming their way in to take chances like that.
Why can't we be given prior notice before the meter reader comes calling. One meter is under the stairs and the other in a broom cupboard, so I have to clear stuff ou of the way before the guy can have access. I do have a smart meter by the way!
Userlevel 5
We only give notice if we've asked the readers to come out, @franniem, I believe the readers work from their own schedule. Take a look at this topic for more info!