Solved

I'm moving out - how can we change the account holder details into housemate's name and bank account?

• 14 April 2019
  • 2 replies

I am moving out of the property but my housemate is staying and taking over the account. How can we change the account holder details into his name and his bank account?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 15 April 2019, 12:15

That's a good question @Madmoles926

A new name on the account still requires that the correct processes are followed. If this were not so, then customer accounts could be hijacked by fraudsters who would use them for ID theft.

So you'll need to email hello@ovoenergy.com giving them your Name, Address and Account number and inform them what's happening.

There has to be an agreed switch date when you'll take a meter reading. Your housemate gets the statutory 14-day cooling-off period as for any financial contract in UK Law.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
That's a good question @Madmoles926

A new name on the account still requires that the correct processes are followed. If this were not so, then customer accounts could be hijacked by fraudsters who would use them for ID theft.

So you'll need to email hello@ovoenergy.com giving them your Name, Address and Account number and inform them what's happening.

There has to be an agreed switch date when you'll take a meter reading. Your housemate gets the statutory 14-day cooling-off period as for any financial contract in UK Law.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Madmoles926,

What @Transparent has advised is correct, however I'd recommend getting your housemate to give us a call. If they want to set up a Direct Debit with us, we'd need to take their bank details over the phone (we can't take them over email or messenger).

Cheers!