Solved

How to see Live Usage on My OVO after smart meter is fitted?

• 12 January 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2

yesterday we had electricity and gas smart meters fitted. I have connected it to wifi also.
How can I see the live usage in my ovo account ? does it give the same info as the IHD ?
If not, is there another app (from the manufacturer maybe?) that can be used to give the same info on my phone / tablet / pc without having to view directly on the IHD ?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 January 2018, 15:50

*update* Please see this topic for more info on the removal of these real time live usage features.

Updated 25/02/2020

View original

14 replies

I've had smart meters a few years with Ovo now (so the rules may have changed in the meantime), but I was given the choice of the IHD, or the Gateway device which links to your router and allows you to view usage remotely via PC, phone etc.
I opted for the gateway as I gathered the IHD is fairly dumb and would never get updated, plus you need it to by physically in front of you, whereas the website and phone app obviously undergo regular updates and improvements (which to be fair, they have) and allow you to monitor usage remotely. For example when I'm at work I know when my mother-in-law has been round to take the dog out for a walk as I can see a corresponding 3Kw kettle 'spike' on my electricity usage for the day.
If you haven't got a gateway device then I'm, not sure how you're linking your meters to the internet. If you have, then you should be able to either download the Ovo app on your phone or access your account via the website - you just need to know your account number and enter a few other details.
If you opted for the IHD then I'm sure it must be possible to pay extra to Ovo to get the Gateway device posted out to you as well. But like I said earlier, the process may have changed since I had it set up so maybe you need to call them.
Userlevel 2
thanks Pezzer. I wasnt given a choice of meter. From reading elsewhere on this forum it looks like the IHD is a new version now offered over the old gateway option.

Ive had some correspondence with Ovo via Facebook messenger who have indicated that I should be able to see live usage data via the ovo phone app or via the 'my ovo' website but it will take some time to kick in. As you say, its pretty annoying to have to be stood in front of the device to see whats going on ! Ill just have to be patient :8
I had smart meters installed a couple weeks ago. Had the IHD, connected it to wifi. It took a couple days for the "My Usage" to change to "My Live Usage" on the website and app, its not that great...can't see how much i'm spending per day like on the IHD, it only shows units used. I can't change day and view an hourly breakdown either. Pretty useless. The app and website also keeps asking me for meter readings. Looking to change to First Utility soon who use the same meters and have a better app.
I had smart meters installed a couple weeks ago. Had the IHD, connected it to wifi. It took a couple days for the "My Usage" to change to "My Live Usage" on the website and app, its not that great...can't see how much i'm spending per day like on the IHD, it only shows units used. I can't change day and view an hourly breakdown either. Pretty useless. The app and website also keeps asking me for meter readings. Looking to change to First Utility soon who use the same meters and have a better app.

Really Richelmes..... the website and app normally both allow you to see daily breakdown and to move back and forward a day at a time using the side arrows, or alternatively you can view the weekly or monthly breakdown and click on a day to get that day's usage across the 24 hour period (or at least you could, but that feature does seem to have a bug in it currently as of about a week ago - you'll see I've posted a question about it on this site already). You can also toggle between displaying in Kwh or Pence/Cost on the display as well, and do comparisons vs previous periods as appropriate (by day or by month).
True you can't get an hour by hour breakdown on the web or app - I can't compare that with what the IHD gives you as I don't have one - but I'm not sure I'd find that a significant addition. What would be nice is if on the daily profile it showed you the cumulative total at any point in the day by clicking on a time on the x axis. Who knows, that may come one day, as they have made enhancements to the site over the few years I've been using it.

As for asking for readings, I suspect once they know you're fully connected that will drop off. I do recall the option to submit readings was on the site for me originally after my installation, but it's greyed out these days telling me that I don't need to submit. Maybe that will happen once you've gone through your first monthly billing cycle.
Yeah the options are there, they just don't work; the side arrows don't do anything when clicked on (though is probably down to the bug you mentioned). It says "pricing not available" so the arrow to toggle unit/price is greyed out. It might fix itself over time but I'm not impressed thus far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

*update* Please see this topic for more info on the removal of these real time live usage features.

Updated 25/02/2020

I'm away from home and cannot see either my gas or electricity live usage. How can I see this in My OVO, please?
Just got my Chameleon IHD3 and hooked it upto the WiFi for the live usage, didn’t realise this could be done until I read on here ...

Previously I had the pipit 500 which gives live usage on the IHD display aswell as historical data in the form of a bar chart.

Each IHD has its pros and cons now I have seen both in operation. Funny thing is that both these devices are on the same HAN as they were both paired to it, so having both IHDs works well ! I am guessing you could buy the pipit 500 displays off the internet and maybe get them paired on the HAN and have IHDs in each room/floor of a house. The pipit 500 has batteries so they are also portable where the Chameleon is not.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I'm away from home and cannot see either my gas or electricity live usage. How can I see this in My OVO, please?

Hey @JEO,

I've moved your post to this topic where other users are discussing Live Usage. You should be able to find the info you need here, but feel free to comment any more questions below.

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy. Seen Tim's comment above. However, we had our smart meters installed in October. So, I'm wondering how long it's taking OVO to fix this problem. The engineer who fitted our meters showed me the live usage at his home. So, begs the question why 3 months later we cannot see live usage.

Can OVO give us an update as when this problem will be fixed?

John
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
We had our smart meters installed in October. Can OVO give us an update as when this problem will be fixed?

@JEO I'm not sure what you can see, so I can't give a diagnosis or time frame. To get this checked, send our Care team a message via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Come back and share the latest please!

Tim
Thanks.

However, I sent a message to hello on Monday - and have not received a reply, and the problem has not been fixed.

Please advise further.

John
would like to see the app and web user interface for current 2019 versions especially the usage section charts and features

live usage and 30 min updates still working in 2019?

i cannot sign in to look myself as not customer yet many thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
I've popped your post here @codeworks, you'll find some of the info you need in this thread and hopefully someone will be happy to share details of the app with you.

Thanks!