Solved

How do I export my OVO usage data?

I'd like to be able to export my usage data, so I can have access to it even if I leave OVO (etc). I've never seen a function do do this. Does it exist?
icon

Best answer by ferka 10 June 2019, 15:51

Hello,

I can provide an update:

• There is NO way of doing this by yourself.
  • You DO have the right to your data.
  • To find out the above, one has to dredge through a load of legislation. No answers are automatically provided by companies such as OVO, nor easily accessible from the government.
  • OVO told me that they only store 180 days of info on their servers due to storage restrictions. I find this to be an unconvincing reply as the data is not huge.
  • OVO responded to my email within a month with two data files in PDF format (gas and electric, I've yet to try and extract the data). They both contain 2 years of data and are about 6 MB each.
My suggestions to OVO,

• Store All the data. 6 MB per year per client per energy type is not a lot. It would also be smaller in raw data.
  • Make the data available via automatic online request form. Reduce the friction.
Why not be a step ahead of the rest?

All the best

Fergus
View original

10 replies

Thanks Amy
Userlevel 5
Badge
Thanks for the update, @ferka, all valid point's that I'll feed back!

Thank you!
Hello,

I can provide an update:

• There is NO way of doing this by yourself.
  • You DO have the right to your data.
  • To find out the above, one has to dredge through a load of legislation. No answers are automatically provided by companies such as OVO, nor easily accessible from the government.
  • OVO told me that they only store 180 days of info on their servers due to storage restrictions. I find this to be an unconvincing reply as the data is not huge.
  • OVO responded to my email within a month with two data files in PDF format (gas and electric, I've yet to try and extract the data). They both contain 2 years of data and are about 6 MB each.
My suggestions to OVO,

• Store All the data. 6 MB per year per client per energy type is not a lot. It would also be smaller in raw data.
  • Make the data available via automatic online request form. Reduce the friction.
Why not be a step ahead of the rest?

All the best

Fergus
Userlevel 5
We had a similar query about this, @Summertime, take a look at this topic for more info.
Hi and with our smart meter, there doesn’t seem to be any way of downloading the screen data onto Excel. Any ideas?
Update. According to what I found in the EU report 'My Energy Data' (p66, which you can find here), I have the right to request two years of my detailed data. I also think this is necessary to comply with GDPR (also mentioned in the report)?

I therefore would like to request that data. Could you let me know how I should do this?

I note from further searching that this question has been asked before, and although marked 'solved' it's certainly not.

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/understanding-your-smart-meter-65/how-do-i-get-access-to-the-usage-data-from-my-smart-meter-312

I'd like to add two extra question

1. Who owns our smart meter data
  2. What legal rights do we have to request that data.
It's remarkably hard to find answers to those questions.
Thank you. This would be very useful/welcome for a few reasons.
  1. Data ownership. I think as a principle we deserve ownership and access to our own data.
  2. Backup. I don't trust any organisation to look after my data.
  3. Flexibility. With access to our own data, we can do things that the OVO website does not do. We can do our own comparisons, our own correlations and such like.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @ferka and @ITGeek123,

You're right it's not possible at the moment but I will pass this on!

Cheers
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello @ferka

I do not believe this exists at the moment but could be fantastic feedback to provide to the team. 👍

@Nancy_OVO Is it possible to provide this to the team?