Solved

'Energy Breakdown' on My OVO - what and where is it?

I have received an email from OVO telling me I can see my energy breakdown between different types of use.
But there is nothing on the web page to link to this. So where is it?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 15 November 2017, 13:33

@marymroe @stead @talacrush - here's the page you want for more info on this great Energy Breakdown feature: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/my-ovo/your-energy-breakdown.html.

Just a quick summary: to benefit from this feature, you will need smart meters fitted, with them sending us your readings every half an hour. We will also need a period of several months of data, for us to map out when a particular appliance is on or off. Only then will this be available for you via My OVO.

Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Login and select My Smart Usage. The old My Usage page now has the extra Your Energy Breakdown to the right of the Electricity/Gas bar charts.
No. Mine doesn't have this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
No. Mine doesn't have this.

Hey Ore,

You’ll need to have opted in for half hourly reads to be able to view this. Fancy dropping me a private message so I can check this for you? I’ll need you to confirm your name, DoB and OVO account number.

I also amended the title of your topic and moved it to our Pay monthly section so that other users are able to find it more easily.

Lucy
I do not understand why the item Electric heating is showing such a high reading when, to my knowledge I am not using any electric heaters. We have oil fired heating. We do have an electric cooker but this is listed in a category of its own. Other than occasional guest used the towel rail is electric. Last month showed £17.64 usage which cannot be right. August showed £15.07 whereas July and June showed £0.00 which is what I would expect. Anyone having similar confusion?
Mary
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
it's complete guesswork based on energy draws.

I had to email ovo to say I had an electric car, currently 2 electric cars are costing £20 a month, in reality its 3 to 4 times that

in time if we start getting smart devices that can register when they are used it might be worth while, at the moment I think its just a gimmick, although I do think its quite neat, it ideally needs to be 'calibrated' someway I think, if we had an option of turning on and off devices and saying in the breakdown what its being used maybe it could be more accurate, at the moment its just for show.
I opted to have a smart meter installed because the email I received on joining OVO told me I would be able to monitor my electricity use by appliance category and even by the half hour if I wanted (see attached pic here):

I've downloaded the app but all it seems to be is the Ovo website and I can't figure out how to get the detailed usage data I am expecting. Any suggestions or help please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I do not understand why the item Electric heating is showing such a high reading when, to my knowledge I am not using any electric heaters. We have oil fired heating. We do have an electric cooker but this is listed in a category of its own. Other than occasional guest used the towel rail is electric. Last month showed £17.64 usage which cannot be right. August showed £15.07 whereas July and June showed £0.00 which is what I would expect. Anyone having similar confusion?
Mary

it's complete guesswork based on energy draws.

I had to email ovo to say I had an electric car, currently 2 electric cars are costing £20 a month, in reality its 3 to 4 times that

in time if we start getting smart devices that can register when they are used it might be worth while, at the moment I think its just a gimmick, although I do think its quite neat, it ideally needs to be 'calibrated' someway I think, if we had an option of turning on and off devices and saying in the breakdown what its being used maybe it could be more accurate, at the moment its just for show.

@jadam @DaveJenYearsley - able to offer some advice on this Energy Breakdown My OVO feature?

@marymroe @stead this topic might be of help: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/smart-meter-live-usage-api-58/index3.html.

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@marymroe @stead @talacrush - here's the page you want for more info on this great Energy Breakdown feature: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/my-ovo/your-energy-breakdown.html.

Just a quick summary: to benefit from this feature, you will need smart meters fitted, with them sending us your readings every half an hour. We will also need a period of several months of data, for us to map out when a particular appliance is on or off. Only then will this be available for you via My OVO.

Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
Userlevel 3

Tim
I have had a smart meter since June this year. There is nowhere in the Android app or on the web site for MyOVO to allow me to add any appliances. Is this an i-thing only?

I'm interested but also concerned that there is a warning that with Solar Panels, it won't be accurate. That said, it should be able to catch base use from things like fridges and home entertainment equipment from overnight data.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Tim
I have had a smart meter since June this year. There is nowhere in the Android app or on the web site for MyOVO to allow me to add any appliances. Is this an i-thing only?

I'm interested but also concerned that there is a warning that with Solar Panels, it won't be accurate. That said, it should be able to catch base use from things like fridges and home entertainment equipment from overnight data.

It normally takes about 6 months of data for this feature to become available.

Lucy
Userlevel 3

It normally takes about 6 months of data for this feature to become available.

Lucy
Thanks. 6 months means I'll stop worrying that there is nothing there after several. i will put a note in to have a look in February next year.
I cannot find instructions anywhere. Can I see how much gas heating is costing per day if so how? Will it display on meter and online? Can you identify how much TV is costing online or display.

Kind regards Clare
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Clarerayner - after 5 to 6 months of "machine learning" your smart meters should be able to identify these appliances and display them on your appliance usage breakdown as displayed on the screenshot above.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Curious that @Nancy_OVO commented on this thread just 6 days ago. I haven't had been able to see any kind of energy breakdown since the website was revamped. Is this feature being rolled out again?
The old energy breakdown display wasn't particularly helpful. Ovo need to give us customers much more information to allow us to identify our electricity guzzlers. A separate graph for each device identified by the software would allow customers to easily identify them, by switching on or off in turn. This would allow for any non-standard patterns of energy usage.
Using the emoncms graphs of data provided by my emonTx I was able to work out how much energy my 30+ year old washing machine used for a full 30 degree wash cycle. No resemblance to the energy breakdown figure!
Hello, Ovo gives an energy breakdown on the bill. Some of the headings in the breakdown are - Entertainment, Refrigeration, Laundry etc. Our friend says it is impossible for this to happen and what means could be used to know whether we are using the washing machine, tv or whatever. I couldn't really argue the point as I don't know either, I just accepted what it says on my bill. Is it true that Ovo can divide up our gas and electric information in this way, including one that says 'Always On'. I would like to know so that I can tell our friends who were adamant it was impossible. Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @iceskate2,

I've moved your post here, check out the answers by @Tim_OVO and @talacrush, I think they will give you some further insight.

We use the information received from your meter, half hourly to make an accurate prediction on the appliances being used in the home. The kWh used by appliances, if they are in good working order, tend to be uniform across the board. Therefore if an appliance is running at 10 kWh per hour for 2 hours every other day it would be prudent to say this could be a washing machine in use, for example.

You can go onto your profile here and select the actual appliances used in your home so that the usage correlating to appliances is more accurate.

Thanks!