Solved

Can someone advise if Internet access to My OVO is filtered by public IP address?

• 21 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi all.

Can someone advise if Internet access to My Account is filtered by public IP address? I can log onto My Account but I cannot see any detail, part from the top banner, the menu on the left and spinning Ovo logo.

All menu options give the same result, except "Help" and "Offers".

The issue is browser agnostic - Firefox and IE both give the same result. I have checked with our BOFH in the IT dept and we are not employing filtering of that kind. If the issue was a result of corporate filtering, I would see a default page.

Although I live and work in the UK, our work web access is via the corporate intranet which jumps onto the web in France. My public IP is 165.225.76.50. This falls into the range 165.225.76.0 - 165.225.79.255, which is, according to a quick Google search, allocated to France.

I had a similar issue with my GP surgery web portal, which checks the originating IP address and refuses connection to anyone not on a UK allocated public IP address. I wonder if the issue with Ovo's My Account is also because I am accessing the Ovo site from work.

Can't think of any other issues so: Is Ovo doing similar crude filtering?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by ChrisI 28 November 2017, 12:22

OVO were/are having issues with the website. Its been intermittently working through the morning.

Thank you for taking the time to email us today.

Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties with our website at the moment, we are working on it and will have it back up and running as soon as possible. If you check back later today everything should be back to normal, we appreciate your patience at this time.

If it were filtering the IP address then you wouldn't have been able to see the login page, nor login, so I expect its not IP filtering but their other issues which appear to be resolved now.
View original

6 replies

Update: Works just fine from home, via a UK IP address.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I was going to say I travel a lot for work and have no problems accessing it overseas.
I also noticed that my GP's online booking/prescription service blocks none UK IP addresses.
Probably measures put in after the NHS hack!

Matthew
OVO were/are having issues with the website. Its been intermittently working through the morning.

Thank you for taking the time to email us today.

Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties with our website at the moment, we are working on it and will have it back up and running as soon as possible. If you check back later today everything should be back to normal, we appreciate your patience at this time.

If it were filtering the IP address then you wouldn't have been able to see the login page, nor login, so I expect its not IP filtering but their other issues which appear to be resolved now.
I’m having a similar issue for the second time!!
I can log on but all I get is a message saying your switch is on hold and all the options are greyed out, I’ve been with Ovo more than a year.
It’s been like this for weeks now and I haven’t been able to send my readings or anything.

Last time somebody had to send me a link in an email to get into my account but I can’t get hold of anyone.
Hi,

I'm having the same issue since i started my account with OVO last October. Every month I have to call Customer service with the meter readings and to flag this up. So far nothing happened. I've sent them screenshots via email, hopefully someone will be able to resolve this problem.

I’m having a similar issue for the second time!!
I can log on but all I get is a message saying your switch is on hold and all the options are greyed out, I’ve been with Ovo more than a year.
It’s been like this for weeks now and I haven’t been able to send my readings or anything.

Last time somebody had to send me a link in an email to get into my account but I can’t get hold of anyone.
That's strange, @Vera

If you haven't heard back from our Care team already, send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can investigate - https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy.

Emma