Tutorial

Having an issue logging into your OVO online account or OVO Energy app?

Having an issue logging into your OVO online account or OVO Energy app?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 04/07/23 by Tim_OVO: Got issues registering or resetting a password for your OVO app or online account? We’ve made a recent change that might help:

OVO customers should ideally complete these steps in the web portal (online account) first. Once complete, these details will be copied over and available for use in the OVO App.

• Select the option at the bottom of the reset email "open this email in your browser"

This should then allow you to follow the steps as prompted and login into your account.

Please note: This has been extensively tested and in the vast majority of cases will resolve the issue. However, there are still some issues with users of any Microsoft email domains such as Hotmail, Live, Outlook, Microsoft. We are working on the resolution for these customers and will update once a fix is made available.

There may still be issues for other customers with different email domains but these could be related to something else. See the advice below for some ideas to try, and let us know in the comments below if you still have an issue resetting your password. Alternatively our Support team may be able to advise with this. 

If you’ve just joined OVO, your online account  or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) may not be fully accessible until you’ve received your opening statement (around six weeks after your switch date or about 4 weeks after you contacted us following a house move).

If you’re having issues after this point, see the advice below which has been taken from our tutorial to login issues:

Login Basics

Once we’ve updated our online account, you’ll only be able to log in using your email address, your Customer ID number will no longer be recognised. 

You’ll only be able to set one password per email address. This means that if you’ve got the same email address registered to multiple accounts, all these accounts will use the same password. This also means that password resets will affect all accounts.

If there's no email address registered to your OVO account, you won’t be able login. You can register your email address when you first join us, or by reaching out to the Support Team if you’re already a member.

First Steps

It’s always best to check we hold an accurate email address for you. A good way to confirm this is to see whether you’ve received any emails from us already, this could include your welcome email or monthly summaries.

Our Support Team can help correct or register your email address if you haven’t yet received any emails from us.

Error Message?

If you’re having an issue resetting your password and are using the Outlook Live app we are aware this may cause an error message, if so, please switch to a browser version. 

An error message saying, “Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later” usually means there’s a technical issue which is linking a failed account to your details, for example if you’ve recently moved in and your new account hasn’t been fully activated. In this case reach out to our Support Team, they’ll be able to get things corrected with the help of our Tech team.

Duplicate Emails

If your email is a used on more than one OVO account, there could be two ways to login: 

If you have multiple accounts which have all been migrated to our new billing platform you’ll just need to login using your email address. You’ll be shown a landing page, from here you can select the relevant account number which will open that online account. You can switch between the accounts by clicking ‘Account’ in the top right of the Homepage:

Exact appearance may vary

If one of your accounts is yet to be migrated, you’ll need to use the Customer ID for the one of the accounts instead of your email address. Both accounts will still use the same password. If you’re not sure whether your account is on the new or older platform, our Support Team will be able to check and advise on whether you’ll need to login using your email address or Customer ID number.

Password Resets

You can reset your password by clicking here.

• There's no difference between ‘First time logging in?’ and ‘Reset my password’
  • Password reset emails expire after six hours or if a newer password reset is requested within that time
  • A reset email is only sent if the email address used matches a registered email address
  • If multiple password reset emails are sent, only the most recent one is valid

The criteria for setting a password is:

• At least 8 characters

• At least 1 upper case letter

• At least 1 lower case letter

• At least 1 number

• At least 1 special character (!?£@#$%)

If you’re not able to access the password reset screen by clicking on the ‘Reset My Password’ button in the reset email, you can copy and paste the long reset link from the bottom of the email into the URL to get to the same destination. An example is shown here:

diLPOnZ-K4GrfJzLl6IlVp5TVLO6k_vX1lI5ifH_B9jwtko_xx_vWGyEOe5b2pp6o8-r45tf39DwPk01xR3lFtZUE59aY46VTZ1RlgsLsZrqrcTwswwYwZzDrckiPqSc1VcxC3kV

Haven’t received a password reset email?

There are no known issues with the password reset platform and reset emails are typically delivered within seconds.

If you haven’t received the email then it’s usually caused by the following:

Your email inbox hasn’t refreshed

The email may have been delivered but hasn’t synced on the member's device/browser. This could be due to a network issue or because their email client is set to refresh on a schedule, e.g. every 15 minutes. Try refreshing this manually.

The email has been filtered as junk/spam

You should also check that you haven’t accidentally marked us as ‘Spam’ or blacklisted emails from hello@ovoenergy.com or noreply@ovoenergy.com.

The email address you’ve got registered has recently been changed on our systems and hasn’t had time to update on your online account

If you've changed your registered email address it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this to update. In this case, try and request a password rest email the following day.

If none of the above is successful

Check you’re using the most recent version of the app (try deleting and re-downloading for Android and iOS) or Google Chrome browser if logging in to your online account.

Try disabling any password managers that may be interfering with the login details you’re entering.

You should also try:

• Logging in via the app if you can’t login via a browser (or vice-versa).

• Using a different device or browser (Chrome is recommended).

• Clear cache/cookies on browser.

• Clear cache and app data then uninstall/reinstall the app.

• Waiting a day for any changes you've made to update across all systems.

If you've followed all of these steps and you're confident there's still a login issue with your online account or the OVO App then contact the Support Team. If you can provide as much of the the following information as possible we’ll then be able to forward this on to our Tech team if required:

• Mention all actions you have taken already.

• The correct email address that you’d would like to use.

• Are you trying to login using the app or browser?

• What device, OS and browser are you using?

• Are there any specific error messages? This does not include 'Wrong Email or Password'.

• How long has this been occurring?

• Relevant screenshots are always welcome and useful.

Hope we can get things sorted and you logged back in ASAP. :ok_hand:

29 replies

Userlevel 2

I moved from payg to pay monthly about 2 weeks ago. The staff took my direct debit details and they're all set up fine. However, when I try to log in it still tells me to download the app and my account is payg. I was told it could take up to 24hrs after I changed from payg to pay monthly. 

My meter is on a continuous power mode - so no worries there.  Customer support suggested updating my password which I then did but it hasn't helped.

Obviously I need to check my balance. If telephone support can't help, what can I do? 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Kall 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having.

Have you been in touch with the Support Team yet today?

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum, so the best thing to do will be to contact the Support Team to get their help, and check the account again. 

Userlevel 2

@Abby_OVO Yes. Sadly every department says its not their department and passes me on or cuts me off. I'm do tired now. It's so silly that I now have to change supplier just to know my balance :/

Userlevel 6

Hey @Kall 

Sorry to hear you’ve been to Support and that wasn’t helpful. I’ll get forum support to reach out to you.

Userlevel 2

Thanks because I've continued to constantly check it and it still says I'm payg and won't show my balance or anything 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like Forum Support might reach out to you via a Private Message. If they do, you can find the thread via https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview . This link only works if you’re logged in. You’ll also get an email when a message comes in there.

Userlevel 2

Thanks very much. I'll see if they can help. 

Userlevel 2

Ah just the usual response. I was told to call support.

Called support who passed me on - each rep telling me they can't understand why. Last one told me he'd pass it on and they'll contact me.

I won't hold my breath. 

Userlevel 2

I can log onto my account now. It appears the issue has been resolved, thanks. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Kall 

I’m really glad to hear about this! Glad the issue is now resolved.🙂

Each time i follow a new link to set up online account,  I enter all the information correctly and get a message saying "oops, something went wrong!"

Userlevel 7

Update on OVO app issues from this weekend: This has now been fixed and the OVO app is now available along with the web online account: https://my.ovoenergy.com/login

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO Fix confirmed with Dewott. Android 13 and App v16.7.0 CodePush v412.

Login succeeds after CP refresh.

ive just moved from pay as u go to pay montly and now cant access my online portal as it says im still a pay as u go customer even though i got a bill come through the post and every ytime i contact ovo they say they dont know what they are doing. what do i do its been 3 weeks now and still can access my online account 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Do a manual payment for now, then talk to OVO directly on Monday via https://help.ovoenergy.com .

Paying my energy bill via a bank transfer

To pay your bill, you can also make a transfer from your bank account to ours. Our bank account number is 83683249 and sort code 20-00-00. 

Remember to include your OVO account number and postcode in the reference field, so we can link payment to your account.

Do a manual payment for now, then talk to OVO directly on Monday via https://help.ovoenergy.com

I’ve tried talking  to them no one knows what their doing 

Userlevel 7

Hey @lukeh2000,

Any update on this?

Was on the phone for 2 hours but finally one person know what to do so sone Ty :)

I've just set up my energy in my new house with ovo. I've tried to set up an online account so I can send my metre reading but I'm not receiving an email with a verification link. 

I've tried multiple times and I've tried the password reset link I've found on previous questions on this forum, nothing is happening. 

I was able to join this forum and recieved a verification email for this fine. But when I try to do it for setting up an account t I just don't receive an email. 

I've checked spam etc and got nothing. 

Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Kuwins ,

Sorry about that! As a forum volunteer I can’t fix this, but the Support Team can. Let them know via https://ovoenergy.com/help and they’ll figure this out for you.

I've joined OVO payment portal ok but it won't let me have online account saying don't recognize details yet on payment portal ok 

Userlevel 6

Hey @nickmac507 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having.

Just to be sure, are you talking about the OVO top up app?

Cant use app as not same log in details from sse app to.ovo app. Tried following all directions in help option for ovo.

Nornjg seems to work 

Contacted ovo direct on chat room help and also called them on.phone and still I can't use app and also struggling to get billing information.  

I am at wicks end and don't know what to do.now

Userlevel 7

Hey @Kmmm81,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Have you had a welcome pack from OVO yet with your new account number?

The log in details wouldn’t be the same, you need to set up a new Online Account

Step 1: Get to your My OVO energy online account

To log in directly, visit https://my.ovoenergy.com/

You can also log in from the OVO homepage – take a look in the top right corner for the menu icon, the option to login will be at the top of this menu.

Step 2: Set up a password

Look underneath the big 'Log in' button. Find the link that says ‘First time logging in?’, and click it.

Step 3: Give your email address

Type in your email address and click ‘Submit’. If you’ve got more than one OVO account, we might ask for your OVO ID too.

Step 4: Check your email

We’ll send you an email with a link to set your password – open it, create your password, and you’re in. The email is from 'no-reply@ovoenergy.com' – and the subject line will be 'My OVO password change request'.

It’s important that you set your password within 30 minutes, as the link will expire. If you don’t get an email straight away, it’s worth checking your ‘spam’ folder. If you’re a Gmail user, it may also be filtered into your ‘promotions’ folder.

Step 5: Sign in whenever you like

That’s it. You’ve got access to your online account. It’s easy to use wherever you are, on your computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.

We’re constantly updating our online portal and app to ensure it’s the best version it can be for you! This, along with your device updates can cause login issues from time to time. 

If it’s still not letting you in, contact our Support Team with the following. They may check these details so that we can work out the issue.

1. Are you logging in using your registered email address or OVO ID?
  2. Are you using the app or the browser version of the site?
  3. Can you send us a screenshot of the issue/error? If not please describe it in as much detail.
  4. How long has this been going on for?
  5. What device are you using? I.e iPhone 7, Dell laptop etc.
  6. What software does your device use? This can usually be found in the settings section of your device.
Userlevel 2

I migrated from SSE in August and have no problem accessing my account on the website. However The app does not work and I get the following 

Is anyone else expiriencing this? Is it a known problem for migrated customers? I’ve had a webchat with support and they sent me an email with various suggestions and questions to answer. I tried everything they suggested and responded to the email and as I suspected They have not replied to me.