Solved

Why was my annual consumption figure so high on the recent Simpler Energy rate increase email?

Ha anyone else had a ridiculous email from OVO regarding new price increase? They sent me an email with estimate for  electricity usage of 28239kwh, I have just looked at usage for the past year and it is not that!!!! Has anyone else had this mistake?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 March 2022, 14:56

View original

16 replies

They don’t seem to give a bill of what you have actually used . Says I used say £100 but owe £500 . I’m thinking of changing supplier

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Kimkurtulus and @Emily G ,

Welcome to the OVO Forum. Just so you know, I’m one of the forum volunteers and a fellow OVO member rather than an employee.

Just so you know, the estimate you had there is purely an estimate and it’s not a crystal ball. While I’ll admit that the figures do sound pretty high, if you end up using less energy than predicted, your actual bills will be lower. You might want to chat with the Support Team to have your Estimated Annual Consumption figures regenerated, as this might help to fix an issue like that one.

Also, to get actual bills please make sure to submit a meter reading on-time every month. Estimated bills will never precisely match your actual usage so you may be over or undercharged as a result. Submitting an actual meter reading will correct this and fix the bills up until the date you submit the reading, so it’s worth doing on a regular basis. My best advice to help fix both of these issues if you’re not interested in getting a Smart Meter, would be to submit weekly meter readings for around three months or so, on top of the usual monthly reading. This should help the system train itself to more closely match your usage patterns and can help to fix certain billing issues.

If you still think the bill is wrong after that, please let the Support Team know. As a forum volunteer, I can’t access your account and we’re not allowed to handle personal information either.

I have a smart meter. My annual usage last year was 3500 so I'm not sure why they are assuming I'll use 28000!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It might just be a temporary bug. Smart Meters do resolve a lot of issues with traditional meters, but can’t solve everything. As long as your meter is sending in regular meter readings, your bills shouldn’t be affected.

I’ll ask @Tim_OVO if he’s able to flag this up as a possible bug.

I think data has been inputed wrong, I've just taken a meter reading and used 537 units in a month, even 537 x 12 is not 28239!!!!! 

And during the warmer months my average 3 monthly usage is around 654 so I've got no idea why 28239 has been inputed for my usage!

With this estimate they've given me my bills will rise by 400%.....definitely an error

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

With this estimate they've given me my bills will rise by 400%.....definitely an error

Not true. You won’t be billed for energy you don’t end up using.

Well I'm ringing today as there's a definite mistake there, my smart meter sends readings every 30 mins and I've checked both meters and usage over the past year, I think they've put my electricity usage in and missed off a decimal point, not helpful when they've told me my monthly bill will be £530 instead £140, not helpful on a Saturday night and it has totally ruined my weekend. 

I was migrated from SSE to OVO and over the last week it looks like they have changed the kWh rate on the gas to use the electricity kWh rate which makes the bills become 4.95 times more expensive (difference between Gas kWh and Electricity kWh).

Look at the kWh and times the units by the Gas kWh and Electricity kWh and that may be the answer. I have been on the phone with them for over an hour about it as well as them changing the migration reading for Gas to Jan 2021 rather than using the Jan 2022 reading

I've been messaging them and they've admitted that my protected figures are far too high, have assured me my DD won't change. Electricity units are what they are, don't need to be changed like gas readings, how ridiculous!!! Rang them this morning but got cut off, so I'm going to ring later just to make sure I won't get charged extortionate amounts of money!

The costs against billing history are correct but the costs against the usage area are wrong

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The costs against billing history are correct but the costs against the usage area are wrong

In that case, your bills should be correct and it’s probably just related to the known technical issue that’s currently being fixed by the Tech Team.

I've been messaging them and they've admitted that my protected figures are far too high, have assured me my DD won't change. Electricity units are what they are, don't need to be changed like gas readings, how ridiculous!!! Rang them this morning but got cut off, so I'm going to ring later just to make sure I won't get charged extortionate amounts of money!

I can promise you now that regardless of how you pay, you’ll only be billed for what you actually use as long as meter readings are submitted. This will also help to re-train the system to give more accurate figures.

Ovo has said that they are not aware of any issue and I am having to send them screenshots to prove the issue

As for your last comment,

“I can promise you now that regardless of how you pay, you’ll only be billed for what you actually use as long as meter readings are submitted. This will also help to re-train the system to give more accurate figures.”

re-charging me for the whole of 2021 because they changed a correct migration reading to a wrong one is not charging someone just for what they have used

They've looked into my account and have said there is an error and apologised! I have made screenshots so if I get any incorrect billing then I have proof of their reply! I'm now going to get on with my day and not let this stress me out anymore.

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear of the stress caused by the inaccurate information you received, @Emily G.

Glad to hear that our Support Team were able to confirm that this was an error and not reflective of your actual usage.

I just wanted to let you know that I’ve also passed your comments on to our tech team so they can look into why the figure you saw was so out-of-line.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease and you’re able to get out and enjoy the sun. :slight_smile: