Solved

Why is there a large discrepancy in my usage when moving from SSE to OVO with an Economy 7 meter?

• 24 December 2021
  • 60 replies

WHY HAS MY BILL GONE UP OVER 4 TIMES SINCE CHANGING FROM SEE?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 24 January 2022, 15:52

View original

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @dougalhouse , Welcome to the OVO Forum.

I’m sorry to hear that. This isn’t really something I can help with as a forum volunteer though, since I can’t access your account. There’s a dedicated team for SSE members who have migrated to OVO, and you can reach them on 0345 071 7972. They’ll take a look for you.

Thanks

Thanks I’ve tried them but they’re off for Christmas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh, sorry about that. I forgot about that team being closed earlier than usual.

The lines should be open again on the 29th and 30th December but it’s likely to be pretty busy. I’d recommend only phoning in during those two days if it’s urgent, otherwise you might get stuck in the queues.

After that, lines will re-open on the 4th January but again might be extremely busy. If you’d rather get a message in now and don’t mind waiting a while, you can send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com and someone will respond when they can.

Here’s some more details in case it helps.

Thanks 

Userlevel 3

Are you on Economy 7.   I am and since being migrated across from SSE to OVO The meter is not switching over to the night rate, and everything is going on the Day Rate (expensive).    My advice is to download the ovo app and you  can see your usage, also save screen shots for evidence.  Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah yes, that might be the reason.

If it is, don’t worry - this can be fixed by the Support Team. One of the options OVO has to resolve this, is to force the meter back onto Economy 7 mode and then regenerate the bills to try and figure out the correct usage based on either your historical usage, estimates or your averages going forward. A refund can and will be issued if this process identifies that one is appropriate.

Are you on Economy 7.   I am and since being migrated across from SSE to OVO The meter is not switching over to the night rate, and everything is going on the Day Rate (expensive).    My advice is to download the ovo app and you  can see your usage, also save screen shots for evidence.  Hope this helps

Thanks but no I’m not on economy 7 and have already downloaded the app.  The usage is already double what I have been using for the past 4 years which indicates something isn’t quite right and at this rate I’ll be bankrupt in 3 months unless I turn everything off 🤬. I wouldn’t mind so much but I had solar panels installed 2 years ago to try and keep monthly costs down, foolishly thought it would be a good investment for the future!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just for clarity, has the number of kWh you are using increased 4 fold?

Have you been put on a different tariff since joining OVO? Do you know what your old unit and current unit rates where?

Is it both your gas and electric costs that have increased 4 fold? 

Yes in fact it went up 6 times more on the 2 days immediately after the changeover and don’t have mains gas here, we’ve not had the heating on cos I have a 8kw log burner which heats the whole bungalow and have a 6kw solar panel sysyem fitted too so during daylight hours we use next to no mains power. The tumble dryers not been used so I just can’t see how they are calculating my usage, there is something very fishy going on. The tariff should be the same as far as I’ve been informed. 

Userlevel 2

I’ve just had a bill from OVO that is double my last SSE bill - based on 2 months of smart meter readings when I’ve been out at work  - whilst my last SSE was for 3 months whilst working at home! 
Im shocked, and will be moving as soon as possible. What a terrible company, who we did not ask to move to.

I’ve just had a bill from OVO that is double my last SSE bill - based on 2 months of smart meter readings when I’ve been out at work  - whilst my last SSE was for 3 months whilst working at home! 
Im shocked, and will be moving as soon as possible. What a terrible company, who we did not ask to move to.

Yes I’ve been looking at other companies too but even they are adding £500 onto my usual annual bill due to energy prices hikes. I don’t know how they expect us to pay this extra money when you’re on a tight budget and have done everything possible to keep monthly bills down. Besides it’s only gas prices that have shot up but they’re taking the opportunity to hammer electricity prices too, it feels like we’re being robbed!! 

Userlevel 2

I am in the same boat. I've actually switched my heating off at the moment as it is burning through the units. Why such a switch to Ovo has been actioned without checking that everyone is actually having correctly functions tariffs on their Smart meters is beyond me.

I've gone years without any stress with SSE on my billing. I've only been with Ovo's new system for a few days and I'm not exactly impressed.

Also why the heck did they switch people over just before the festive season? Surely early New Year would have been better when there were customer support staff available to help resolve issues.

I am in the same boat. I've actually switched my heating off at the moment as it is burning through the units. Why such a switch to Ovo has been actioned without checking that everyone is actually having correctly functions tariffs on their Smart meters is beyond me.

I've gone years without any stress with SSE on my billing. I've only been with Ovo's new system for a few days and I'm not exactly impressed.

Also why the heck did they switch people over just before the festive season? Surely early New Year would have been better when there were customer support staff available to help resolve issues.

I’m not on economy 7 so it seems they’re trying to rip everyone off with extortionate tariff’s and making up usage figures in the hope that not many of us monitor our usage! 

Userlevel 2

For the bill, I mean - for Aug-Oct I was charged £49 for gas and £250 for electric.

I was moved to OVO and sent a bill for £466 for Nov-Dec, made up of £156 gas and £310 electric - for a month less than the previous time! They’ve provided no breakdown to justify it, and my smart meter is showing no change in usage, and when I spoke to OVO customer services they told me “can you just pay it and if we later find it’s an error we’ll give you credit”… well no, I won’t! I’ll pay for what I owe, not some mystic figure you’ve created! 

Honestly, less than a week and I’m already fed up with them.

Userlevel 2

For the bill, I mean - for Aug-Oct I was charged £49 for gas and £250 for electric.

I was moved to OVO and sent a bill for £466 for Nov-Dec, made up of £156 gas and £310 electric - for a month less than the previous time! They’ve provided no breakdown to justify it, and my smart meter is showing no change in usage, and when I spoke to OVO customer services they told me “can you just pay it and if we later find it’s an error we’ll give you credit”… well no, I won’t! I’ll pay for what I owe, not some mystic figure you’ve created! 

They do seem on first impressions to lack transparency and accountability. They won't show the units you use in £ and pence, only in kWh, which is a backward step compared to the SSE app.

Also as customers this change over was forced on us and sold as being to the benefits of the customer. Utter rubbish, the customer is always the loser in these mergers and takeovers. The only beneficiaries are the corporate shareholders who make increased profits in their Investments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 07/01/2022 by Blastoise186

As of 7th January 2022, there’s been an update from Tim and Jess which I’ve decided to add to my answer. The latest info is below, while my original comment also remains.

I have some more good news to share.

Tim and Jess have confirmed to me that OVO is definitely aware of this issue with SSE Economy 7 accounts that have recently been transferred but didn’t do so cleanly. A bug fix is already in progress and OVO will do a bulk-update across all affected accounts to get everything sorted out. Here’s what I now know.

But just as a heads up, my comment here is not the official word of OVO - you’ll get a formal update from OVO directly soon.

As part of this fix, if you’re affected OVO will already know proactively and you won’t need to contact the Support Team - a sweep is already in progress to pick up all affected accounts. Over the next few weeks, OVO’s billing platform and Support Team will be doing a huge amount of number crunching to figure out how to rebalance your usage charges across the Day and Night rates, recalculating usage charges and triggering automatic refunds where needed - most likely as an account credit to your OVO account. You’ll also get a longer bill than usual, so that you can see what’s been happening.

Hi,

Just stepping in here to clean up some speculation. Please be advised that I’m an independent forum volunteer and I don’t work for OVO myself. However, I’ve notified @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO about this thread.

It is possible to view your usage breakdowns in MyOVO and on the OVO Energy app for both kWh and Cost, for both the Monthly and Yearly views. It’s only the Daily view that doesn’t support this right now. As long as your Smart Meter is set to at least Daily or Half-Hourly mode, you can see this data under the Usage section. Please note that the Daily view represents Half-Hourly data, the Monthly view represents Daily and the Yearly view represents Monthly. You can also view the meter readings in both places as well - and the app shows you how the reading was retrieved.

If you head to Billing History, you can also see a breakdown of your charges, even before the bill arrives. Please also check your SSE online account to see what the final bill was from there - it often helps to solve puzzles like this one.

It’s also worth noting that if you’ve been getting estimated bills, this can cause issues during a transfer like this. I strongly recommend submitting a meter reading as soon as possible, as this might help to correct your bills.

I can also confirm that if you were on a fixed tariff with SSE that was still active at the time of your account transfer, OVO has agreed to honour it for the remainder of the active contract - including the tariff rates that you selected at the time. You’ll only be affected by price changes when you come to renew.

The other thing to note is that sometimes your account credit might take a little longer to migrate over than the account itself. In these cases, the credit will always follow your account and be reapplied as soon as possible, usually within two weeks. Once this happens, it will cause the bills to be updated with the credit and should resolve most potential snags.

As for why you were switched now, this is actually a longer term process that OVO has been planning to do for over a year. With several million accounts to transfer, it’s being done in waves and which accounts are transferred in each wave is mostly down to random selections. Yours just happened to be included in the December wave by pure chance. There are certain accounts which will be staying with SSE until much later in the process though - such as anyone on Pay As You Go or has THTC - but I’m told the entire transfer is likely to take over a year to fully complete.

While most accounts will transfer successfully without issue, this kind of migration is never perfect for everyone and you’ll always have a few accounts that don’t migrate cleanly. These can be repaired though, especially if you notify OVO about it.

If you still have concerns about your bills, I definitely recommend contacting the Support Team about this. They’ve got a dedicated team assigned to members who have been transferred over from SSE, which you can reach on 0345 071 7972. There’s also FAQs about the process available here.

This comment has been temporarily set as a Best Answer for now, to provide better visibility. It will be updated if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

They do seem on first impressions to lack transparency and accountability. They won't show the units you use in £ and pence, only in kWh, which is a backward step compared to the SSE app.

Also as customers this change over was forced on us and sold as being to the benefits of the customer. Utter rubbish, the customer is always the loser in these mergers and takeovers. The only beneficiaries are the corporate shareholders who make increased profits in their Investments.

Actually, SSE had been looking to leave the energy retail market for some time, several years before the sale to OVO in fact. In November 2017, SSE Plc announced their intention to sell the retail division SSE Energy Services to npower, but the deal fell through in November 2018 and never took place. Unrelated events meant that npower was ultimately bought out by E.On later on. It was only in 2019 that SSE announced their intentions to sell the retail division to OVO and there’s currently a license agreement in place that allows OVO to use the SSE branding temporarily, until the transfer is fully completed. It will expire after that so OVO would have to migrate eventually anyway.

Well it’s a terrible way to treat customers over the festive period without any reassurance or explanation about these extortionate forecasts and fictional usage figures which is making us too worried to turn our heating on and worrying how the hell we are going to be able to pay these excessive bills in the future. 

I’ve downloaded the app and done everything suggested previously in this thread and the usage over half hour intervals just do not relate in any way to what I’m actually using, this is completely unacceptable and a great cause for concern.

Userlevel 2

Well it’s a terrible way to treat customers over the festive period without any reassurance or explanation about these extortionate forecasts and fictional usage figures which is making us too worried to turn our heating on and worrying how the hell we are going to be able to pay these excessive bills in the future. 

I’ve downloaded the app and done everything suggested previously in this thread and the usage over half hour intervals just do not relate in any way to what I’m actually using, this is completely unacceptable and a great cause for concern.

I totally agree. Hopefully a speedy resolution to these issues that predominately affect Economy 7 customers migrating over from SSE will be forthcoming in the early New Year and I will be contacting the SSE migration number offered by Blastoise 186, if not.

Failing that I will follow up these issues by considering contacting the energy ombudsman.

Userlevel 7

Thanks to all four former SSE customers for coming here and sharing your experience and concerns @dougalhouse @Golferbell @Dante01 @Andrew CS. I’m keen to hear from anyone if they’ve contacted our Support team today, now that we’re open following the festive break. Any developments? 

If you still have concerns about your bills, I definitely recommend contacting the Support Team about this. They’ve got a dedicated team assigned to members who have been transferred over from SSE, which you can reach on 0345 071 7972. There’s also FAQs about the process available here.

Contact details and FAQs above ^

This comment has been temporarily set as a Best Answer for now, to provide better visibility. It will be updated if needed.

^ This is a really helpful comment, as per, @Blastoise186 - if anyone else has similar concerns the info in your comment is now easier to find as the best answer. 

I don’t want to make any guesses here myself, just to reiterate what’s been said: fixed prices will be honored when you join OVO, a communicating smart meter or manual meter readings is the best way to avoid estimating usage, I wouldn’t expect to see a spike in usage from coming over to OVO. We can help figure out what’s happening once we’re made aware.

Full FAQs here

Userlevel 3

Ive sent the link plus attached emails to the OVO Support Team yesterday, but no answers received yet.  13 days my usage is showing £130 which is ridiculous, cinsidering im on Standard Economy 7 Tariff type Evergreen.   I only use approx 9 - 12 kWh Day rate and 35 - 40 kWh Night Rate.    See my previous posts

Userlevel 2

I've been in contact with the support team today. A very nice well spoken lady took my call, she could see that my smart meter was only logging and sending day time units, despite the Economy 7 tariff that I'm on. 

She has contacted billing and will get them to hopefully reconfigure the meter remotely in the next 3 working days,  but she said it could happen sooner.

I live in hope. 😀

Userlevel 3

Who is “carbon cutter”  as my posts seem to be mixed up.  Im Golferbell

Userlevel 3

Ive sent the link plus attached emails to the OVO Support Team yesterday, but no answers received yet.  13 days my usage is showing £130 which is ridiculous, cinsidering im on Standard Economy 7 Tariff type Evergreen.   I only use approx 9 - 12 kWh Day rate and 35 - 40 kWh Night Rate.    See my previous posts

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Who is “carbon cutter”  as my posts seem to be mixed up.  Im Golferbell

You are indeed. :sunglasses:

Carbon Cutter is actually a forum rank that you recently unlocked, but it doesn’t affect your username. You should have also received a PM from Robo-Tim shortly after being promoted that explains more.

Your username is actually coloured blue to help distinguish it from everything else. Tim and Jess have theirs in bold green so that their moderator/employee status stands out from everyone else. Technically, Tim could have done a similar trick for forum regulars as well, but he’s decided against that to make it more fair.

I've been in contact with the support team today. A very nice well spoken lady took my call, she could see that my smart meter was only logging and sending day time units, despite the Economy 7 tariff that I'm on. 

She has contacted billing and will get them to hopefully reconfigure the meter remotely in the next 3 working days,  but she said it could happen sooner.

I live in hope. 😀

Nice! Hopefully it should go through on the first try. I suspect OVO will probably also regenerate your bills as well, to help rebalance your charges more closely to what they should have been. If that does happen, you’ll get an email letting you know and it’ll show up as an entry on the bill (most likely as a credit or correction of some kind).