Solved

Why is OVO asking me to pay off my "in credit" amount on my monthly summary email?

• 20 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3

I am £40.08 IN CREDIT which means you OWE ME, as you can see below, yet the email and the bill imply that I have to pay this off within the 14 days. What sense does this make? Are you even testing what you send out to clients?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 21 December 2021, 12:47

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

This sounds like an account specific issue that we can’t easily handle via the forum as no-one can access your account from here. I’d recommend double checking your account balance in MyOVO and if something still doesn’t seem right, please let the Support Team know.

However, this does also sound like a possible bug. Normally I can ask Tim and Jess to submit bug reports from here, but this one is probably best handled by someone who’s able to access your account directly, as it’ll be easier for the Support Team to grab additional data that can’t be retrieved via the forum.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 3

Doesn’t the screenshot give enough information?  This is from the email from OVO and it clearly says account credit, please pay off in 14 days.

My account is in fact in credit but regardless, the emails wording as in the screenshot is all wrong. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for highlighting this one, @gmmarcin. It’s not something that’s been raised here before so I’ve forwarded your comment on to the team to investigate things further.

Sorry for any confusion caused by the wording there - As our community champ, @Blastoise186, has already mentioned your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) is the best place to check your up-to date balance and make a payment when required. :thumbsup:

Just popping back with an update on this one - The team have confirmed we’re updating the wording on these communications to clear up any confusion. 

Thanks for spotting this one! :thumbsup:

Userlevel 3

Thanks for highlighting this one, @gmmarcin. It’s not something that’s been raised here before so I’ve forwarded your comment on to the team to investigate things further.

Sorry for any confusion caused by the wording there - As our community champ, @Blastoise186, has already mentioned your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) is the best place to check your up-to date balance and make a payment when required. :thumbsup:

No it isn’t. You have sent me a bill “Your OVO Energy bill” that says account in credit, please pay within 14 days. How can you say the online account or an app is more important than a bill that you have sent me. A bill and an invoice is what businesses go by.  Are you suggesting I ignore the bill then?

Userlevel 7

Sorry just to clarify, @gmmarcin - was this messaging seen on your monthly summary email or the attached PDF?

The mention of the up-to date balance viewable on your online account was reflective of the fact that this is updated daily, meaning this represents a more current view of your balance than that shown on a monthly summary and is a good place to double-check the current state of your account.

As mentioned I’ve raised the issue with the team already as it’s not something that’s been reported as a known technical bug here before so thanks for helping us get this corrected. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

Just popping back with an update on this one - The team have confirmed we’re updating the wording on these communications to clear up any confusion. 

Thanks for spotting this one! :thumbsup:

Seems 4 months down the line from another members complaint and OVO are still asking for "In CREDIT" amounts to be paid within 14 days.

Oh they suggest, don't take any notice of the Bill,  go to your online account for accuracy. 

Yes I did and it confirmed I am in credit, which brings me back to the Bill demanding payment within 14 days, or else I presume?

Never had this idiosyncrasy with SSE. 

I think when a company gets confused by it's own use of "in credit or in debit" we should all sign up for an "accountancy course" or get the hell out!!🤣🤣🤣

I'm hopeing their error doesn't turn into a balance outstanding next month or I'll be asking for compensation😡

Userlevel 7

Hi @alanH33 and Welcome to the OVO online community,

Sorry to hear that the confusing wording is yet to be corrected. Just to check was this also noticed in your monthly summary email?

I’ll be checking back in with the team on this one as I appreciate  that this should be made clearer.

Thanks for highlighting this to us. 

Userlevel 3

Yeah its ridicilous.

I have reinstated my DD now at £100 pcm hoping that we have been with OVO for over 12 months so they know the figures. Month later got an email the DD will be going up to £125pcm!!!

This may explain why: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/03/energy-companies-accused-artificially-increasing-direct-debits/

OVO’s billing system is just one big joke

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah its ridicilous.

I have reinstated my DD now at £100 pcm hoping that we have been with OVO for over 12 months so they know the figures. Month later got an email the DD will be going up to £125pcm!!!

This may explain why: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/03/energy-companies-accused-artificially-increasing-direct-debits/

OVO’s billing system is just one big joke

Nothing in that article implies that OVO is breaching the rules. Nor does it claim that Ofgem suspects and/or confirms that OVO is breaking the rules. At this stage, it’s a health check at most. Any supplier that passes the review will get away scot free and without penalty. Only those that fail to comply - and I will not make any attempt to guess who that may or may not be - will face the wrath of the regulator.

If you still think your Direct Debit should be £100 rather than £125, please ask the Support Team to drop it back down. Just bear in mind that if this results in your account balance getting too low, the billing platform may attempt to force it back up at the next review to keep your account healthy.

Userlevel 3

What do you mean “I think my DD should be £100”. I do think so because I set it up and I know how much electricity I use. OVO thinks it should be £125 so you’re raising it with no justification. You did the same last year (from £75 to £160) claiming my usage was going to be double over the winter in this Thread and I proved you wrong, yet you still insistent on raising the DD. I don’t really want to waste anymore of my time on this as I’m never going to get anywhere here. 

Userlevel 7

Really sorry to hear that your Direct Debit calculations still don’t seem to match up, @gmmarcin.

Just to clarify, as this forum is a place for fellow OVO members to share advice, most users here are customers expressing their own views and sharing their own experiences. If you feel that OVO may have suggested a Direct Debit increase in error this would be best directed to our Support Team who can investigate this with full access to your account.

There’s more general advice on how our Direct Debit process should work in the guide below.