Solved

Why is my Direct Debit increasing when I've just installed solar panels?

• 3 May 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have recently had solar panels and a battery installed. My usage has dropped considerably but apparently my DD must be raised! This is despite the fact that I have £580 credit! To add insult to injury we are sending the grid solar energy from our system for which we are not being paid as our SMETS1 meter has yet to be upgraded! I appreciate that DD payments are based upon past usage but surely someone can see the bigger picture here and  realise that our consumption is extremely unlikely to be as high again!  

Why can I not use the credit I have accrued...if not what is it for?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 4 May 2022, 13:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Nipersmum ,

I suspect that your latest Direct Debit Check-In took place before any significant differences in your usage patterns started coming in. However, you do have options.

For the Smart Export Guarantee payments, please email seg@ovoenergy.com and that team can talk you through how to sort out those payments.

As for your payments to OVO, I’d suggest calling the Support Team tomorrow on 0330 303 5063. You have the option to request your payments be forced down below the minimum payment amount, but it has to be done over the phone as a safety measure. If you explain you’ve got solar panels and a storage battery and believe your usage will drop as a result, they’ll help you out with that.

You can then use your existing credit balance towards the remainder of the bill.

Userlevel 7

A really growing question this one, @Nipersmum.

Firstly, great to hear about your new solar panels. We love to hear about members making such great green improvements to their homes (and have awarded you shiny badge to prove it!). 

At the moment our Direct Debit calculations are based on your projected usage figures which are gathered from your smart meter usage data or historic meter readings submitted, if you’re yet to go smart. Over time this figure will adjust to your new usage habits but it may take several months for the suggested Direct Debit amount to catch-up. In the meantime, as @Blastoise186 suggests, our Support Team can request a temporary pause to the usual Direct Debit review process, to give our platform a chance to learn your newly reduced usage.

Just to clarify, as you mention not yet receiving any Smart Export Guarantee payments, these should be accessible even if your smart meter is yet to be updated. Have you been in touch with the SEG team to apply for this yet?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don't agree with my estimate 

And there is no way to select a lower amount

Have looked at how it's calculated and it's… vague, to say the least!

If they are using the previous year's billing/meter readings, then the estimate will not be correct.

We installed PV in February and our consumption has reduced by a third if not more, so at worst our costs will be the same, not 150% higher!

I'm not going to try and contact anyone. What I do want to know is whether this estimate can be reviewed after a period of time (three months?) When we can compare 2021 and 2022 consumption.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok, I tried the messaging method and Molly answered very quickly and saw my point

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You can see when the solar panels went in (12.02.2022)

Userlevel 7

You can see when the solar panels went in (12.02.2022)

What a difference those solar panels are already making, @amackayj!

An important question to ask about how this will be reflected in your Direct Debit calculations. Check out the advice given in this related thread.

You should start to notice your recommended Direct Debit amount catch-up with your newly reduced usage over the coming months. Keep us posted here with the changes you see, this will really help others who might be planning on getting solar panels installed in future too!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Jess_OVO that's good to know.