Solved

Why has the Energy Bills Support Scheme payment been credited to my Online Account?

Hi. Tearing my hair out with confusion! Why has the first £66 EBSS payment of £66 been credited to my 4/9 to 3/10 bill when I pay by direct debit on the 1st of each month and in credit? Advice given previously has suggested it would be paid into my bank account?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 4 October 2022, 14:09

View original

100 replies

Seeing the exact same problem that you describe. Which goes completely against this. 

Userlevel 2

Same here too. I thought we were getting a £66 refund into our bank accounts not credit added to our accounts.

Come on OVO get your act together. Communications dept says one thing. Accounts dept does another.

Same has happened to me, looks like OVO have either given out the wrong advice for DD payers or have made a mistake which they may rectify? Very annoying in the current climate as there will be people relying on that money to help them with other costs etc!!!

Agreed. I had booked in a boiler service! Which without this money I’ll have to cancel. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve just come on here to look if anyone else found this also. I was expecting the money as a refund as per what the website states. I hope this is an error as even with credit they want to put my bill up and I would rather have that money saved in my bank for when/if I need to up my bill. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve just found this from the government website. 

• Direct Debit customers will receive the Energy Bill discount automatically as a deduction to the monthly Direct Debit amount collected, or as a refund to the customer’s bank account following Direct Debit collection during each month of delivery

So I’m assuming this must be an error. Hopefully it’s sorted by the end of the week! 

I've been on the help chat with customer services and they begrudgingly said you have to request it 🙄

It will take up to 10 working days to be refunded 

Userlevel 1

Shocking!! I will be putting in a complaint about this as it’s not what OVOs website states or what the government website advises! 

Ovo seem to be forgetting that money is from the government, via tax payers to be paid to tax payers, not the energy company. They will not allow a refund if you have less than three months credit

the new rates have not been used in my billing but they’ve had the cheek to advise if I switched to the energy guarantee rate I could save ££. They advised this was automatic along with the energy bill rebate. 

I can’t reach anyone so have sent a complaint through. 
 Ofgem say that energy suppliers must have customer service and support that is “fit for purpose”  clearly this is not. 

Userlevel 1

Wow that’s shocking. Especially when there own website advises that we will be refunded. I’m really angry about this. The government even stated that we should get it back or deducted from our monthly payment. I don’t know why OVO have decided this is the best course of action and certainly isn’t fair 

I haven't got 3 months of direct debits in my account as credit and they let me have the refund. Probably because they know that they're in the wrong and this money is entitled to us via the Government. I went on the online chat this morning and had it resolved within 20 minutes. Maybe try the online chat (their might be a longer wait not tho) 

Userlevel 1

Thank you I will do. I can’t claim the refund back on the app but will be asking them for it as it’s my money. 

Yesterday (before they added the £66) they wanted me to up my bill by £58 this morning after the £66 has been added they still want to up it by £50 which makes no sense to me. Whereas I was going to up my bill by £66 so I wouldn’t be in debt in 12 months time.

They must know they’re in the wrong as they’re own website states they were refunding the money

Thank you I will try the live chat 

Looks like I’d better get on live chat then. 

Userlevel 1

Good luck I’ve been on there for a while. Hopefully this gets sorted if enough of us say something 

Online chat wasn’t great. 

Called up and the helpful lady confirmed that it’s just how it will be processed so it will initially show as credit and they will then process the refund from the credit. 

Userlevel 1

I got through to someone on chat and she said it will be refunded to my account within 5 working days of payment going out. I couldn’t ask anymore as the chat froze. So hopefully it’ll all be sorted 

Userlevel 1

Online chat wasn’t great. 

Called up and the helpful lady confirmed that it’s just how it will be processed so it will initially show as credit and they will then process the refund from the credit. 

This makes sense actually 

Yeah seemed a reasonable enough explanation to me. Not quite as it was explained in the comms. But let’s see

Userlevel 1

Yesterday I received a credit on my account of £26.31 rather than £66. Today this has been reduced to £18.91. Any ideas why this is please?

Userlevel 1

Yes for sure hopefully it’ll all be sorted by Monday 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello!

UPDATED ON 4/10/22 by Blastoise186

***Copied from a response by @Emmanuelle_OVO ***

From our Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) experts; “We credit the customer's energy account and then trigger the refund.”

If you pay by direct debit and have seen the credit go to your OVO account, this payment will be transferred into your bank account. 

The payment will be made 3-5 working days after the direct debit has cleared. This will happen automatically and you don’t need to do anything. 

All customers who pay this way will receive their refund into their bank accounts within 3-5 days of their direct debit date. For example, if your direct debit is the 15th of the month, it’ll be 3-5 days after this. 

For anyone that pays on demand, their payment will be made directly to their OVO account. 

Userlevel 5

Hello @Cherripie,

Please see my response *copied from another thread*:

Sorry for any confusion caused.

I’ve just got clarity from our Team that are dealing with this, they’ve confirmed this is intentional for the credit to be paid into the OVO account and then withdrawn.

From our Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) experts; “We credit the customer's energy account and then trigger the refund.”

If you pay by direct debit and have seen the credit go to your OVO account, this payment will be transferred into your bank account. 

The payment will be made 3-5 working days after the direct debit has cleared. This will happen automatically and you don’t need to do anything. 

All customers who pay this way will receive their refund into their bank accounts within 3-5 days of their direct debit date. For example, if your direct debit is the 15th of the month, it’ll be 3-5 days after this. 

For anyone that pays on demand, their payment will be made directly to their OVO account. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

I've noticed my £66 after showing as a credit in the charges section is now showing as refunded in my balance section so its definitely working how it should at least, so should be back in my bank soon!

Userlevel 5

Hey @Sunelectric,

Thank you for your question!

If you pay by direct debit (DD) the £66 credit added to your account will be refunded to your bank account 3-5 working days after your direct debit date.

If you don’t pay by DD, the credit will be added to your account. It looks like your account was in a debit balance, so when the credit was added it bought you out of the debit and your account balance is now in credit by £18.91.

We have a great guide here which explains more about how billing works here at OVO:

For all information about the Energy Bills Support Scheme please head to our website. 

Hope this helps. 

I contacted Ovo in an online chat and requested an immediate refund of my EBSS pavement, have been advised by email that it will be back in my bank account in 10 working days if not sooner. Why so long? 

all I need sorting now is to see the actual meter readings for 1 October and not estimated readings that are showing on the September /October online bill. It took Ovo 3 months to sort out my SSE enforced migration to Ovo so not holding my breath!