Solved

Why can't I scan the QR Code on my bill to see my annual consumption figures?

• 14 January 2022
  • 7 replies

My bill says I can scan the QR code to compare prices from other providers but the QR code seems to be misconfigured because it tries to make a telephone call to my MPAN

How do I get this fixed?

thanks

andrew

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 25 May 2022, 12:31

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @andrewg !

Nice catch you got there! I’ve never even thought of that one. However, I can reproduce this issue using Oshawott, except that it actually tries to save a bunch of data to Samsung Notes in my case. It’s possible different devices handle that QR Code in different ways.

I’ll get @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO on the case for this one as they’ll need to chat with the team. Bear with us for a bit as they might not be back until Monday morning.

Userlevel 7

Wow some great spotting on this QR bug, @andrewg:bug:

I’ll take this one away to the team as this certainly doesn’t sound right (and thanks to @Blastoise186 for confirming it’s not just a one-off glitch!)

That said, times are fairly challenging in the energy market at the moment which is why you might be struggling to use the usual price comparison websites to compare deals. We’ve covered this in more detail in our FAQs and Blog.

If you’re still looking for those annual consumption figures the best place to check would be the ‘Plan’ page of your Online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS):

Exact appearance may vary

:point_up: The ‘Future annual consumption’ figure is what you’re after.

Hope this helps in researching your options - Thanks again for catching that QR bug! 

Hi @Jess_OVO not until May, but I was looking for those handy annual consumption figures. I couldn’t see them on my bill and thought the QR code may reveal them but it tried to call someone with a very unusual looking number :)

Good luck fixing this

best

andrew

Userlevel 7

Getting ahead of the game in terms of planning for your renewal then, @andrewg.

If you’re still looking for those annual consumption figures the best place to check would be the ‘Plan’ page of your Online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS):

Exact appearance may vary

:point_up: The ‘Future annual consumption’ figure is what you’re after.

Hope this helps in researching your options - Thanks again for catching that QR bug! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What is the QR code meant to do?

Is it meant to take you to a website showing the comparison or simply show you your annual consumption figures from the ovo plan page?

If it is a website, is there a link on the app or ovo website rather than using the QR code?

Is there a way of using the QR code without actually printing the PDF?

Are the QR codes working now? 

Userlevel 7

I’m getting an update on this, @Jeffus as I’ve been able to replicate the same issue that andrewg raised. 

The intended behaviour of this feature may be affected by Energy Helpline no longer operating, which prevents a comparison of our plans with other suppliers… leave this one with me. :) 

Userlevel 7

I’m back here with an update on this energy bill QR code function.

It is in fact a regulatory requirement to have a QR code on a statement and it has a predetermined format.

However as we’ve seen, if you scan the QR code with a phone, it doesn’t have a URL to take you to a site or allow for a comparison between other energy companies. Why? The idea is that switching and comparison sites are meant to have specific apps which read the QR codes and give customers the ability to switch easily.

Due to the energy market conditions some comparison sites don’t have this function and have limited energy company tariffs listed. 

For more information on OVO’s support for members effected by high energy prices, see our dedicated page here