Solved

Why can't I login to my UK OVO Energy account from Australia?

• 2 April 2022
  • 7 replies

• Carbon Cutter*
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

I keep getting the error message below when I try logging onto my ovo portal online.

Anyone else getting the same? This has been ongoing for a few days now. 

(I can’t use the app as I am based in Australia)

503 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

The Lambda function associated with the CloudFront distribution is invalid or doesn't have the required permissions. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)Request ID: LwynR4KWmZHslFjUCV_WXYLRl8bCqfec1GBTsAXSBof50FAkM0MgfQ==
icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 13 April 2022, 13:07

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @SLee !

I think you’re one of the only Australian members we’ve ever had on this forum! :D

Unfortunately, this forum is mainly for OVO UK rather than OVO AU, so we’re a bit limited in what we can do for you here. However, if you head over to https://help.ovoenergy.com.au/hc/en-au and click the help button in the bottom right corner, you’ll be able to leave a message or use the live chat to get through to one of the team there.

I’m here in the UK myself, but the OVO AU Support Team happen to know me. If you let them know I sent you their way, they’ll probably have a few things to say about me. :)

I am also getting this error - the Ovo portal does not work outside the UK. They have misconfigured their Amazon Cloudfront settings. It is incredibly frustrating as I cannot update my UK tarrif

Thanks @Blastoise186 

Unfortunately, OVO AU says this is an OVO UK issue and so they cannot help. So I guess it is back to you guys 

Its got nothing to do with ovo.au (had no idea there was an Australian Ovo). I am going to the UK Ovo site to use the portal for my UK property

Userlevel 7

Not sure if you’re both still having login issues, @roryj and @SLee?

I’ve been in touch with our tech team who are looking in to an issue they’ve identified when trying to access your online accounts from Australia. Just to clarify, this is an unexpected technical issue only affecting this area and the team are currently investigating the root cause. They mentioned Lamda functions which goes a bit beyond my technical understanding, but just to reassure you - the team are still working hard to fix this one so I’ll pop back to let you know when you should be able to log back in.

Userlevel 7

Just to provide a bit of an update here, @SLee and @roryj . The issue affecting access to your OVO UK accounts from Australia is fairly complex.

The team is still trying to get this sorted but in the meantime have suggested that you may be able to access your accounts by downloading our app (available for Android or iOS) or by using a VPN to allow access to the browser version using a different location setting. Any top tips on VPN usage, @Blastoise186 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Outside of private ones like Ubiquiti Teleport or spinning up OpenVPN on your own VPS, I’m afraid there are no VPNs that I can recommend.

It’s probably easiest if you’re OK with using the app for now. It should bypass the issue entirely as it reaches the billing platform via a different route to the web portal.