Solved

Why can't I login to my online account or on the OVO app?

• 20 October 2019
  • 49 replies

Is the web service currently down or experiencing problems, unable to access my account details / enter meter readings etc.

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 23 October 2019, 15:49

View original

49 replies

Almost every time I try to submit a meter reading I have to re-register. Today even this isn’t working and both the app and website say my account is nearly ready. I have been with you for nearly a year and it does this most months. I am so sick of it and thinking of going back to EDF as it was much easier to submit readings with them.

Is the web service currently down or experiencing problems, unable to access my account details / enter meter readings etc.

I’m facing the same problem still... I don’t know what is wrong…!!! :(

Is it working now???

Not for me no....

Not for me no....

I wonder what’s wrong with it..!

Userlevel 5

Updated on 04/07/23 by Tim_OVO: Got issues registering or resetting a password for your OVO app or online account? We’ve made a recent change that might help:

OVO customers should ideally complete these steps in the web portal (online account) first. Once complete, these details will be copied over and available for use in the OVO App.

• Select the option at the bottom of the reset email "open this email in your browser"

This should then allow you to follow the steps as prompted and login into your account.

Please note: This has been extensively tested and in the vast majority of cases will resolve the issue. However, there are still some issues with users of any Microsoft email domains such as Hotmail, Live, Outlook, Microsoft. We are working on the resolution for these customers and will update once a fix is made available.

There may still be issues for other customers with different email domains but these could be related to something else. See the advice below for some ideas to try, and let us know in the comments below if you still have an issue resetting your password. Alternatively our Support team may be able to advise with this. 

​​​​​​

When something’s gone wrong with your online account or OVO app login

Login Basics

Once we’ve updated our online account, you’ll only be able to log in using your email address, your Customer ID number will no longer be recognised. 

You’ll only be able to set one password per email address. This means that if you’ve got the same email address registered to multiple accounts, all these accounts will use the same password. This also means that password resets will affect all accounts.

If there's no email address registered to your OVO account, you won’t be able login. You can register your email address when you first join us, or by reaching out to the Support Team if you’re already a member.

First Steps

It’s always best to check we hold an accurate email address for you. A good way to confirm this is to see whether you’ve received any emails from us already, this could include your welcome email or monthly summaries.

Our Support Team can help correct or register your email address if you haven’t yet received any emails from us.

Error Message?

If you’re having an issue resetting your password and are using the Outlook Live app we are aware this may cause an error message, if so, please switch to a browser version. 

image0.png

This error message usually means there’s a technical issue which is linking a failed account to your details, for example if you’ve recently moved in and your new account hasn’t been fully activated. In this case reach out to our Support Team, they’ll be able to get things corrected with the help of our Tech team.

Duplicate Emails

If your email is a used on more than one OVO account, there could be two ways to login: 

If you have multiple accounts which have all been migrated to our new billing platform you’ll just need to login using your email address. You’ll be shown a landing page, from here you can select the relevant account number which will open that online account. You can switch between the accounts by clicking ‘Account’ in the top right of the Homepage.

Exact appearance may vary

If one of your accounts is yet to be migrated, you’ll need to use the Customer ID for the one of the accounts instead of your email address. Both accounts will still use the same password. If you’re not sure whether your account is on the new or older platform, our Support Team will be able to check and advise on whether you’ll need to login using your email address or Customer ID number,

Password Resets

You can reset your password by clicking here.

• There's no difference between ‘First time logging in?’ and ‘Reset my password’
  • Password reset emails expire after six hours or if a newer password reset is requested within that time
  • A reset email is only sent if the email address used matches a registered email address
  • If multiple password reset emails are sent, only the most recent one is valid

The criteria for setting a password is:
  • At least 8 characters

• At least 1 upper case letter

• At least 1 lower case letter

• At least 1 number

• At least 1 special character (!?£@#$%)

If you’re not able to access the password reset screen by clicking on the ‘Reset My Password’ button in the reset email, you can copy and paste the long reset link from the bottom of the email into the URL to get to the same destination. An example is shown here:

diLPOnZ-K4GrfJzLl6IlVp5TVLO6k_vX1lI5ifH_B9jwtko_xx_vWGyEOe5b2pp6o8-r45tf39DwPk01xR3lFtZUE59aY46VTZ1RlgsLsZrqrcTwswwYwZzDrckiPqSc1VcxC3kV

Haven’t received a password reset email?

There are no known issues with the password reset platform and reset emails are typically delivered within seconds.

If you haven’t received the email then it’s usually caused by the following:

Your email inbox hasn’t refreshed

The email may have been delivered but hasn’t synced on the member's device/browser. This could be due to a network issue or because their email client is set to refresh on a schedule, e.g. every 15 minutes. Try refreshing this manually.

The email has been filtered as junk/spam

You should also check that you haven’t accidentally marked us as ‘Spam’ or blacklisted emails from hello@ovoenergy.com or noreply@ovoenergy.com.

The email address you’ve got registered has recently been changed on our systems and hasn’t had time to update on your online account

If you've changed your registered email address it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this to update. In this case, try and request a password rest email the following day.

If none of the above is successful

Check you’re using the most recent version of the app (try deleting and re-downloading for Android and iOS) or Google Chrome browser if logging in to your online account.

Try disabling any password managers that may be interfering with the login details you’re entering.

You should also try:

• Logging in via the app if you can’t login via a browser (or vice-versa).

• Using a different device or browser (Chrome is recommended).

• Clear cache/cookies on browser.

• Clear cache and app data then uninstall/reinstall the app.

• Waiting a day for any changes you've made to update across all systems.

If you've followed all of these steps and you're confident there's still a login issue with your online account or the OVO App then contact the Support Team. If you can provide as much of the the following information as possible we’ll then be able to forward this on to our Tech team if required:

• Mention all actions you have taken already.

• The correct email address that you’d would like to use.

• Are you trying to login using the app or browser?

• What device, OS and browser are you using?

• Are there any specific error messages? This does not include 'Wrong Email or Password'.

• How long has this been occurring?

• Relevant screenshots are always welcome and useful.

Hope this helps get things sorted - There’s more great advice on our Online Account Tutorial Collection. :punch:

Thanks Eva, that works now but why does my email address no longer work do you know?

Many Thanks

Userlevel 7

Good question that, @Ralph_Porter - you’ve always been able to use either, so anytime the email address login is an issue, try out that OVO ID instead. We’ll work on the cause of this behind the scenes!

thanks for the help , done !!

I don't seem to be able to log in to my account today. Never had any problems before. Is there an issue? 

Userlevel 5

There’s no known issues, @Christopher! It could be that you just need to use your OVO ID as your username, not your email address - there’s more info above! :)

If the username isn’t the problem, we’ll need some more information on what’s stopping you logging in -  are you seeing an error message?  Send us a screenshot of what you can see, maybe another forum user will be able to step in and help. 

Having been an OVO customer for over five years, with no problems, I have been unable to access my account for the last week.  Following OVO’s advice I have tried using ID instead of email address and changed passwords, but to no avail.  I’m can’t manage without access to my records. The problem has arisen through OVO’s website update sometime in November.  It seems my Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11 platform has not been catered for in the new programming.  Has anyone else encountered this difficulty I wonder.

Userlevel 5

Have you tried to login through Google Chrome, @anonimouse? If that doesn’t work, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number so we can look into this. If you don’t use social media, we have our Help centre  which offers an online chat!

Userlevel 5

Have you tried to login through Google Chrome, @anonimouse? If that doesn’t work, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number so we can look into this. If you don’t use social media, we have our Help centre  which offers an online chat!

thank you

unable to log in to my account changed my e-mail address still no luck can anyone solve this problem for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @clatch ,

I can try to offer some advice here, but could you give these suggestions a go?

If those don’t work, I can try to recommend some other suggestions. Please make sure not to post any personal/private info on the forum though like your email address/password.

Hello Ovo Customers - I am trying to be polite - I have 6 Ovo Accounts - I can ot log in it any of them for over a week- I am on wait in international call 40 mins  line for some one to pick up - this is not good Ovo issue is I log on and account flashes for 2 seconds and - "A problem has occurred We’ll take a look at this shortly, in the meantime please try refreshing the page."   same word appear - this is not good for business - please address - 

currently telephone. 44. Min Wait 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @Ma Ellis ,

I can try to help, but can I quickly double check which country you’re in please? This particular forum is for OVO Energy UK, but OVO Energy also exists in a few other countries too.

The number to call if you’re in the UK and want to phone OVO Energy UK is 0330 303 5063 and you shouldn’t need to dial international numbers for this.

Thanks

Thank you for heads up on - Telephone info -  problem not removed yet ….. with logging on to account - an yes I am out side UK 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks, just in case you’re with OVO in one of the other countries, here’s the numbers for OVO’s international operations. If your account is with OVO in one of these countries, you’ll probably want to reach out to their teams instead. I’ll include OVO Energy UK here too, just in case.

It’s possible that someone in the Support Team needs to take a look at this, but I’d rather you didn’t spend too long on international calls racking up a giant phone bill. If you’re with OVO Energy UK, there’s a Live Chat option that’s completely free of charge and doesn’t require international calls. OVO Energy Australia also has one too, which you can reach via their Help Centre. I’ve actually chatted with them before, they’re a really friendly bunch down there in Australia, even with the time zone differences.

If I find any Live Chat options for OVO Energy France or Spain, I’ll update this comment.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble logging in to your online accounts, @Ma Ellis. I’ve moved your question over to this similar topic - check out the great trouble-shooting advice in the best answer above.

If this fails to sort the issue, our community volunteer @Blastoise186 has already given some great advice as to other ways to get in touch. Unfortunately Monday mornings do tend to be the busiest time to give us a call and we don’t offer a call-back service for international calls. Why not try reaching the team via webchat? (there’s a link to this at the bottom of this page)

Hope this helps in getting things sorted - don’t forget to pop back and let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Dear Jess.

The same issue ue exists with new password etc - I have spoken to very helpful Anna when to down info for accounts - ( she tells me in the interim she will be able to send me the payment patterns for the last tax year ,however she mentioned that OVO  has 2 online account systems, and they have broken-down she is hoping to find some one in technical to address this problem

I have read some of  OVO note you accounts system can only be open Using Google CHROME -  How do the may Mac / safari  users access - Was not a problem before -  _ I do not  want to use CHome n Mac as compromises  Mac OS

- by the way if you ring the the direct technical line. 03303035063 - I did this morning after 08.00 UK time - it defaults the the general line -    Does the technical help line have different hours ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries @Ma Ellis , I can answer that for you as well. Live Chat might be cheaper though for you, since you won’t need to pay for international calls that way.

OVO likes to keep things simple, so there’s basically one contact number that can be used for pretty much everything and the IVR phone menu tree is also kept as simple as possible to make it less confusing. Once you get through to the Support Team, you’ve also reached the tech support line. It’s all open at around the same time too.

It is true that there’s currently two billing systems in use with OVO - however one of them is currently being retired and in future there’ll only be one system. The legacy billing system is the one where you have to login with your OVO ID and is the one which is going away soon. Meanwhile, the new custom in-house built Billing Platform is the one that OVO is moving everyone over to. Most members are already on the new one and OVO is migrating more members over every week, but it sounds like you’ve got quite a few accounts that are currently being juggled between both systems.

Once you raise this as a Support Case, it will be escalated to the Tech Team as a Technical Case on your behalf so you won’t need to speak to tech support directly. You’ll be kept informed of any updates.

To a certain extent, this forum is also another tech support option. I’ve got a pretty good idea of the things that I can help out with here, so you’re always welcome to ask here first. In some cases, that might save you a call and prevent your phone bill from clocking up more fees.

Userlevel 7

I have spoken to very helpful Anna when to down info for accounts - ( she tells me in the interim she will be able to send me the payment patterns for the last tax year ,however she mentioned that OVO  has 2 online account systems, and they have broken-down she is hoping to find some one in technical to address this problem

Glad to hear you’ve been in touch with the team, @Ma Ellis - sounds like they’ve already raised this one to the tech team for you so they can look in to the technical issues you’ve been having logging in to your multiple online accounts.

- by the way if you ring the the direct technical line. 03303035063 - I did this morning after 08.00 UK time - it defaults the the general line -    Does the technical help line have different hours ?

Once you get through to the Support Team, you’ve also reached the tech support line. It’s all open at around the same time too.

Just wanted to clarify this one - the number you mentioned is for our Support Team. We don’t have a separate technical support line, however this team are able to raise a case to be worked by our tech team so is still the number to use - as @Blastoise186 mentioned you can also use our webchat to avoid international phone charges.

I have read some of  OVO note you accounts system can only be open Using Google CHROME -  How do the may Mac / safari  users access - Was not a problem before -  _ I do not  want to use CHome n Mac as compromises  Mac OS

This is a great point to raise too - the browser version of your online account is optimised to work best with Chrome which is why we suggest this if you’re having technical difficulties. If this browser is not compatible with your device it might be worth downloading our mobile app, which is available for Android and iOS.

Keep us updated with how you get on - Hope the issues get resolved quickly and you’re able to see all your accounts online soon. :slight_smile: