Solved

Why can't I login to my online account since my account upgrade?

Userlevel 3
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 37 replies

Hi. I’ve been an Ovo customer since March and have never had any problems logging in to my account or using the app. Last week my account got upgraded to the new billing system. Since then I’ve been unable to sign in to my account. I always logged in using my Ovo user I’d but now I get a message telling me to please login with my email address. When I login to the app with my email address I get the following screen

And when I login on my web browser I get this screen 

I’ve been phoning and emailing support for over a week now but not getting anywhere. Just get told to clear cache and rest my password.Today when I phoned I got told it’s affecting a lot of users and it could take up to a month to sort out. Just wondering if anyone could help or give some advice as I can’t even see my statement now. Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 19 July 2021, 11:15

Sorry to hear we’re still having trouble getting you logged in, @Ajk.

Got a phone call from customer services today who removed my email from the system and re-added it just in case it was  still connected to my  old account. Reset my password again but still the same problem.

Didn’t realise you had an old account which used the same email address - this can sometimes cause some technical hiccups. I appreciate the tech team are looking in to things for you, but another possible workaround could be using a different email address that won’t be linked to your old account. Do you have another email address that could be registered? If so it’s worth contacting the Support Team to let them know as this can often get things fixed.

As always, keep us updated - we’re hoping this gets sorted ASAP for you. :slight_smile:

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @Ajk !

I think I know some clues about what’s going on here. It’s good to see that your account has been migrated to the new platform at least. But yeah, this isn’t quite the smooth experience that should happen. I’ve alerted @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO as a safety measure.

It seems as if your account is still being migrated over and some of the services aren’t ready yet. I can definitely say that the usual fixes that the Support Team offer won’t fix this - it’s a server-side issue and nothing you can do client-side will help.

I’ve asked Tim and Jess to see if they can get more information on this issue and hopefully more insights as to a possible fix. It could just be a case of the huge volume of accounts that have recently been migrated causing a backlog in the system, but your account should hopefully be fixed once this gets cleared out.

In the meantime, you should be able to manage your account via the Support Team using either Live Chat or Phone for now. It’s not the ideal solution, but it’s the best workaround I know of.

I’ll keep track of this thread in case any news comes in.

Userlevel 3

Hi Blastoise

Thanks for the reply. I was going to ask the agent to change my email address because I think my current email address is still associated with the account I had a few years ago but I was scared of complicating things even further. Since coming back to Ovo I have always logged in with my user I’d but apparently you can’t do this on the new system 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yup, that’s correct. Logging in with your email address is actually much less complicated than a User ID - not least because you’re far less likely to forget your email address than a string of numbers! You don’t get any kind of OVO ID on the new platform - it only remains a thing for accounts that haven’t yet migrated. Chances are it will be removed eventually.

The new billing platform should be capable of handling multiple unrelated accounts on the same email address as there’s an account switcher that kicks in when the platform identifies them. This feature is well used and I’ve not heard of many issues with it, apart from the odd glitch every now and then (usually unrelated). I’d say for now, it’s best to leave the email address as-is since it could otherwise break the migration.

With that being said, if the other account was already closed anyway before the migration, then it shouldn’t interfere with your active account that’s being migrated since that would have released the email address from the closed one.

Userlevel 3

Ok thanks. I will leave my email the same for now.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear of the online account issues you’re having since your account upgrade, @Ajk - really not the smooth journey we’re aiming for.

Good to hear you’ve already been in touch with the team about this - they’ll be able to investigate the specific technical issues on your account which could be causing this. 

Let us know how things go - we’d love to hear when you manage to get logged back in! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 3

Hi Jess. I will let you know when I can log back in . Not much else I can do at the moment. I contacted support last week and yesterday when I phone them I got told that there is no timescale on sorting my problem out.

Userlevel 3

Got a phone call from customer services today who removed my email from the system and re-added it just in case it was  still connected to my  old account. Reset my password again but still the same problem. Got an email after the phone call to say it is getting raised with the technical department again

As I advised, I have raised this issue to the technical team who will be looking into this. Please note there is no time frame for this to be resolved as each case has different complexities. 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear we’re still having trouble getting you logged in, @Ajk.

Got a phone call from customer services today who removed my email from the system and re-added it just in case it was  still connected to my  old account. Reset my password again but still the same problem.

Didn’t realise you had an old account which used the same email address - this can sometimes cause some technical hiccups. I appreciate the tech team are looking in to things for you, but another possible workaround could be using a different email address that won’t be linked to your old account. Do you have another email address that could be registered? If so it’s worth contacting the Support Team to let them know as this can often get things fixed.

As always, keep us updated - we’re hoping this gets sorted ASAP for you. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have another tip as well, to a certain extent you can do this one but it’s not always perfect.

If you have Gmail, then your Gmail email address has multiple variations that are all considered as being valid from within Gmail - but most other stuff will consider unique. There’s two key rules to know here, which apply to ALL personal Google Accounts but not to Google Workspace accounts:

• Dots Don’t Matter in Gmail Addresses - joebloggs(at)gmail(dot)com and joe(dot)bloggs(at)gmail(dot)com are both identical as far as Gmail is concerned
  • All Gmail accounts have aliases - all email addresses ending in gmail(dot)com also have an alias of the same email address ending in googlemail(dot)com . As such, joebloggs(at)gmail(dot)com is considered the same as joebloggs(at)googlemail(dot)com in Gmail, but unique elsewhere

These rules are exclusive to Gmail and nowhere else. The reason they exist is really clever too. It’s partially for legacy reasons - googlemail(dot)com was the original domain that Gmail used - and also for security and anti-spoofing reasons. If you own the Gmail address joebloggs(at)gmail(dot)com, you also own basically every possible combination of that email address with dots in it anywhere before the @ symbol across both the gmail(dot)com and googlemail(dot)com domains. This not only helps to ensure that your emails will reach you even if someone puts dots in the wrong place, but it also helps to prevent account takeover since I can’t then grab joe(dot)blogs(at)googlemail(dot)com for myself - because Gmail will have automatically reserved it for you by virtue of having the username you originally signed up for.

You can theoretically use this for your OVO email for now, but it may limit your ability to respond to emails from OVO and/or stop you from emailing the Support Team. But as a temporary workaround, it's good enough for the short-term until your OVO account is properly fixed.

Userlevel 3

Hi Jess. Will give that a try. I have got an alternative email address I can use. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks 

Userlevel 3

Hi. Managed to change my email address but I still have the same problem. Been told it might take 24 hours for the system to update so will try logging in again tomorrow 

Userlevel 7

Oh that’s strange! 

Hoping it just needs time to update. Might seem like a simple fix but always worth checking deleting your cache and cookies if you’re still having login issues today. 

Let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Allowing 24 hours for changes like these to go through does make sense, especially if these changes need to be pushed out to a whole bunch of servers.

When just one server is involved, changes are pretty quick because it only has to apply in one place, but if many servers are involved that all sync with each other at different intervals, some of them might catch the updates faster than others. :)

It’s a similar story with stuff like Google Workspace for example. Whenever I make changes to most of the settings in Google Admin, I do get a reminder that although the changes have been saved, it may take up to 24 hours for them to take effect - not least because my changes have to roll out across all of Google’s infrastructure. It takes longer if you’ve got a bigger tenant with lots of users, but for me it generally only takes a few minutes because my tenant is pretty small with only a handful of users.

I recommend trying to login via the app and via Incognito Mode as well before clearing cache or cookies. This will give you a fresh state without affecting anything else and if it works there, you should be good to go in regular mode without purging anything.

Userlevel 3

HI. Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I have tried again to log in to view my account information after changing my email address and leaving it for over 24 hours. Still getting the same screens on the app and website. Deleted and reinstalled the app, cleared cookies  a history even tried different browsers on my pc and phone. Just feel like I'm going around in circles now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm… Sounds like you’ve really bricked the platform then. Nice catch! :joy:

This is a server-side issue. Clearing your cookies and cache, reinstalling the app and all other client-side fixes will not work in this case. This is one of the advantages of coming to me first before the Support Team - I am often able to identify what might be server-side and what’s client-side before recommending potentially destructive fixes and workarounds.

It is quite likely that someone in the Tech Team is going to need to do some manual fixes, potentially down at the raw database level itself to get your account fixed properly. Please hang in there for now and someone will jump on the case. In the meantime, the Support Team should be able to help you manage your account by phone until your online account is properly fixed. It’s not ideal, but it is probably better than not being able to manage the account at all.

Userlevel 3

Hi Blastoise186. How long do you think it will take for someone to sort it out. Been over 3 weeks now since I first reported it. Thanks

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear you’re still having problems getting logged in despite our troubleshooting here, @Ajk.

Unfortunately without being able to access your account and investigate further it’s hard to say what’s causing the issue. Sounds like you’ve already raised this one to the Support Team, so they’ll have passed this on the tech team for you. We can’t give an exact timeframe for when this tech issue might be resolved as we don’t know if it’s account specific or a more general bug requiring more work.

Sorry this might not be the answer you were hoping for. If you’re struggling to manage things without having access to the online account, it’s worth checking in with the Support Team who can help with things in the meantime. 

Userlevel 3

Been a over a month now since I reported the problem and it still has not been resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that case, I suspect this has been escalated extremely high @Ajk and is being worked on with some seriously extreme detail. When a case gets escalated that high, an ETA for a resolution can’t easily be given because it’d have already become clear that a thorough investigation needs to be carried out to figure out exactly what’s going on. Your account should be fixed eventually, but it’s probably not going to be an easy fix and probably requires a developer to get involved to sort this one out. That’s likely why it’s taking this long. You can still manage your account via other methods, which might not be perfect but at least it’s a workaround.

I wouldn’t normally mention this, but I’m currently in a somewhat related position, albeit with completely understandable circumstances. Ever since I switched to OVO, there’s been a whole bunch of complications that has caused quite a lot of fun. Hardly any of it is OVO’s fault, but OVO has been working pretty much around the clock to try and fix it. In actual fact, my account has been under a billing suspension for almost the entire contract - the only thing that keeps my account reasonably healthy at all is the way that MyOVO does real-time processing and that has meant sure my account balance still behaves as normal.

In short, a bunch of things have happened this year - not least the fact my existing S1 meter was MEX’d out with a new S2 meter to fix a seriously nasty account breaking issue - but I’ve triggered some extremely rare bugs and other stuff which OVO has never seen before and it completely destroyed the billing for my account. OVO had to put my account on a billing suspension to prevent the system from issuing invalid bills and the case has been open for quite a while now. It’s actually been escalated to the Billing Ops Team - which is about as high an escalation as this stuff can go - and a named person in the team has been working on my case for months. I’ve been told who they are, but I agreed not to reveal their name for privacy reasons. I also can’t reveal the exact details of the issue for various reasons that are hard to explain.

That team member actually explained to me that literally no-one at OVO has ever seen the exact bugs and issues before that my account has run into and it has been a learning experience for them. Not least because it’s a very rare and pretty unique bug, but also because of the impact that it’s been causing all year. They think they can fix the bug and rebuild my account, but the sheer amount of detective work they’re having to go through is absolutely massive and they admitted that it’ll probably take at least a few more months to truly solve. I don’t mind at all myself and I’m completely understanding. There’s also the upside that OVO has been able to learn from me this year and they’ll definitely be able to fix this exact bug much faster in the future if it affects anyone else - and also be able to be more proactive about detecting it before it causes issues again.

However, when it comes to rare bugs, I’m afraid the first person who gets affected will always have to be the one that it takes the longest to resolve for. This is also why I’ve chosen not to escalate via the Complaints Process in my case, since I recognise that it won’t speed up the resolution anyway and I’ve seen clear evidence that OVO has been working hard to make progress the entire time. Strictly speaking, even the Energy Ombudsman wouldn’t be able to speed up these kinds of solutions, so I’ve chosen not to jam up their time with something that’s not worth it.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this update, @Ajk - no progress on this. Sorry to hear!

Blastoise might be right, in terms of this issue being worked on as a matter of urgency. For one thing, the date of your account upgrade to our in house billing system. You called out this happening in June/July time. That would mean you’re in a pot of members that is comparatively very small. The last few, who tend to have something with their account that posed a complication, hence why you weren’t moved onto the new platform from your switch date. This could be related, and yes it’s the priority of our platform developers to fix these to get every member account sorted and onto the one, in-house built system. 

All of this is more detail then any customer should need to know. You just want login access, so you can manage your energy account online. It’s our job to sort that out ASAP. That’s all there is to it, no excuses. 

As you can imagine I’m limited with what I can advise here, but rest assured you have a well trained web chat team 60 seconds away should you want an update, here. As and when you choose to get an update, we’d welcome hearing the latest. 

Userlevel 3

Hi. Thanks for all the replies. Will give it a little bit longer and see what happens but I’m considering leaving Ovo. Just wondering if anyone knows if I could have the Earl exit fee waived  as I’m not getting the service I signed up for. Thanks

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Ajk . It looks like your last comment got a bit mangled somehow, could you try again for me?

As far as I’m aware though, I don’t think you’d be able to have the Early Exit Fee waived in this case or for that reason. You’re welcome to ask the Support Team though, as they might decide to allow it. But I don’t think this comes under the list of reasons that would automatically grant an exception.

Either way, I wish you the best in the future.

Userlevel 3

Hi Blastoise186

My comment did get a bit mangled when I tried to correct a spelling mistake but you managed to understand my post anyway. Thanks