Solved

Why can't I access my online account after deleting my email address from an old account?

• 2 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Dear All,

Is anyone having any issues with My Account.  I can’t login and when I requested a password reset that option has not been sent to me.  

I recently moved and asked for the email address to be linked from my old account to be removed so I do not have the option of seeing all that information. It now seems the email address has been removed from both accounts and now I cannot access anything.

Does anyone have any idea how to help with this.  Presumably because it is the weekend this cannot be solved until Monday, even though it is not my fault.

Michael

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 4 October 2021, 12:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @Michael1696 ! Welcome to the OVO Forum. :)

Sorry about that! I think it sounds like you issued something along the lines of a GDPR type request to have your entire online account in MyOVO deleted when it would have been easier to simply use the Moving Home process to close down the supply account at your old address - which would have removed that supply from MyOVO without affecting the account you’re still using at your new address or your access to the platform MyOVO runs on (because MyOVO does a sort of Single Sign-On for everything that you’re allowed to access at once). The two sides are separate because MyOVO works on a One-To-Many relationship (one email address can be used in MyOVO to manage many supply accounts) and deleting your online account zaps everything at once. It sounds like the Support Team acted on your instructions correctly because they removed your email address from your MyOVO online account as requested - which effectively deleted your account in MyOVO and disabled your access to it completely. As such, password resets will fail because there’s no online account that matches the details you’re entering to attempt password recovery.

You might be able to get this process to work, which is normally used to set up MyOVO for the first time, but I can’t make any promises as to whether this will work or not - please make sure to use the same email address that was previously registered as this will be the only one that is likely to be recognised at all. If it does, you should get back in pretty quickly - but you’ll otherwise need to call the Support Team on Monday to get their help with this.

I’ll have a think about this however, just in case I can come up with ideas that I can suggest in the future to make this easier. As a forum volunteer, I can’t access accounts or make changes myself, but I can definitely put ideas into the suggestions box that might be helpful.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Welcome to the OVO online community, @Michael1696.

Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting logged in to your online account over the weekend. It sounds as though your email address may have been inadvertently removed from your active account. As our ever-helpful community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already advised:

It sounds like the Support Team acted on your instructions correctly because they removed your email address from your MyOVO online account as requested - which effectively deleted your account in MyOVO and disabled your access to it completely. As such, password resets will fail because there’s no online account that matches the details you’re entering to attempt password recovery.

The best thing to do, if you haven’t already, is to reach out to the Support Team to re-register your email address. Whilst this will also re-active your previous account - you should easily be able to select the account you’d like to access, when logging in. There’s more advice on logging in to multiple accounts on this related topic:

Let us know if this helps get things sorted - we’re always on hand here to give advice where we can. :slight_smile:

All sorted and thanks to Blasoise for the advice. The people on the phone did it this morning.