Solved

Why can I not enter meter readings via website? "Oops there is a problem" error message

• 24 June 2022
  • 7 replies

I receive emails from OVO requesting that I enter meter readings via the OVO website after logging in to my account. 

However, whenever i try and enter gas and electricity readings, I recieve the message “Oops there is a problem”

Oops, indeed!

What is wrong?

It does not matter whether I use Opera or MS Edge to enter readings, the same error message occurs.

Thank you for your help.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 27 June 2022, 13:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @NickGreen !

Whoops. That doesn’t quite sound right.

Could you try again over the phone using the automated system? The number to call is 0330 303 5063 and it shouldn’t take more than three minutes to do. If something goes wrong, the system should put you through to an agent automatically.

I have now entered meter readings over the phone using the number given. However, i would rather not use the phone as it is expensive to do this every time.

But you have not answered my question, what is wrong with your website and why has it not been fixed (it has been an issue ever since i joined OVO from SSE).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not really sure why it would be expensive to call in once a month. It’s an 03 number, which is no more expensive to call than any 01 or 02 number and is covered by any inclusive minutes you may have. It’s also only a two or three minute call, which even on the most expensive Pay As You Go phones or Payphones, it’s maybe 90p a month max.

Personally, I suspect there’s an account specific issue that’s causing something to break. You might want to have a chat with the Support Team using web chat here. The chat bot can also handle meter readings, but as soon as it recognises it can’t help you, it automatically transfers you to a human agent.

UK 03 numbers are charged at local rate of £0.2284/min with a minimum charge of £0.41. Calling OVO to enter meter readings takes about 4 mins, so approximately £1.00-£1.30 per call.

Versus 

Using a properly functioning OVO website for no charge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Where are you getting that from? That info doesn’t sound right to me.

The source I’m using is from gov.uk here, which is the most realistic one available without me digging through absolutely every UK phone provider.

I receive emails from OVO requesting that I enter meter readings via the OVO website after logging in to my account. 

However, whenever i try and enter gas and electricity readings, I recieve the message “Oops there is a problem”

Oops, indeed!

What is wrong?

It does not matter whether I use Opera or MS Edge to enter readings, the same error message occurs.

Thank you for your help.

I get the exact same issue and from what i can see it is because OVO’s estimates are much higher than my actual reads which then the site will not accept my read giving me the oops problem.

Check your bill readings, for me this is the issue.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the error message you’re seeing when attempting to get your meter readings submitted online, @NickGreen.

As suggested be @Mr Grumpy  this could be caused by estimated readings on your account which are higher than the actual readings you’re now trying to submit. In which case, once the Support Team have logged the correct readings,  you’ll be able to continue submitting manual readings next month.

I hope this helps get things back on track - You might also consider getting a smart meter installed which would mean submitting meter readings would be a thing of the past. Read more about the benefits of smart meters here.