Solved

Why are my current Simpler Energy unit costs different to those recently emailed to me?

Hi is anyone else using Economy7?

I have two different rates by OVO 

the app and email they sent me stating what I am on are different - nightmare trying to get hold of anyone .., either one chat or phone 

which one do I believe I am currently being charged?

TIA

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 8 March 2022, 13:23

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear you’ve had trouble trying to reach the Support Team to confirm your current unit rates, @Flappy.

The quickest way to reach the team is often our Live Chat which you can find here.

As you mention seeing a different set of rates via email and your online account, I’m wondering whether the 5% VAT could explain the discrepancy. The rates listed should be labelled as including or excluding VAT and may be given differently depending on where these are shown, so it’s always worth double-checking.

Let us know if this helps get to the bottom of things.

Hi 

It is unclear if the prices are inclusive of VAT and I have tried the chat several times but to no avail

I need to know which is the accurate cost#

As a consumer it is not clear what I am paying for - very misleading

Hi 

I am never able to get anyone in chat 

I am repeatedly tole within 1-3mins and none ever arrives !!!

Userlevel 3

I am on economy 7 and there is a Peak Rate and a Night Rate, these can be seen in the Smart Meter dependant on what time you look at the Meter.  Ie before 7 AM for the Night rate and after 8 AM for the Peak Rate.   This does NOT include the StandinfDaily Charge or VAT at 5%.  
If you have the OVO App go to billing, click on current billing and it will show your current billing which includes the Daily Standing Charge and the VAT.   Also the IHD does the same but the App can be more accurate.   Hope this helps.

Many thanks 🙏🏼 

my query is that the rates that OVO have communicated to me for day, night and standing charge are all different.

The app says one thing and the new email with costs from April 1st states another cost.

which do I believe is the correct current cost? 
for example my smart reads that I am using 36p/hour electricity - how can the bills so high even in the current market ??

Thanks 

Userlevel 3

The new rates shown in the email won’t come into effect until 1 April if you are on the Simpler Energy Economy 7 tariff.   But I believe if you are on a new fixed tariff then this tariff may start immediately if switching from a variable tariff.   My tariffs are currently but this may differ in other parts of the UK. 

standing Charge:    24.19p per day rising to 43.48 per day on 1 April

peak Rate.                 21.99p per day rising to 30.96 per day on 1 April

Night Rate.                15.54p per day rising to 21.00 per day on 1 April

ALL the above rates include VAT at 5%

Thanks  my standing charge from April 1st will be 48.21p

I just genuinely don’t see how I can be spending that much money. I do of course know there is a price increase, but I live on my own - only have the internet on standby, a small flat ,am out all day and only using one storage heater and hardly cook. I haven’t lived here for long and was thinking about ripping out storage heaters and replacing with electric heaters… it’s a minefield.

Userlevel 3

What tariff are you currently on?

Simpler energy 

Userlevel 7

The new rates shown in the email won’t come into effect until 1 April if you are on the Simpler Energy Economy 7 tariff.   But I believe if you are on a new fixed tariff then this tariff may start immediately if switching from a variable tariff.  

Tip top advice from @Golferbell here. Sounds like the confusion is down to the upcoming price increase, @Flappy.

We appreciate the concern in light of these rising energy costs and have put together some FAQs and resources which we’d encourage you to check out.

Hope this helps.