Solved

What's the difference between Better Smart and Better Energy plans? Can I choose the cheaper plan even with a smart meter?

• 19 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I am now thinking about the possibility of fixing for one year, but feel I need a bit of guidance. I have got smart meters for both gas and electricity, installed by SSE a while back, before I was switched over.

My current options are as follows:

2 Year Fixed Loyalty for £222 (+£10 boiler)

2 Year Fixed £224

1 Year Bettery Energy £208

1 Year Better Smart £223

So, I have two questions… Why is the Better Smart £15 more than the Better Energy - I presume it’s because of the ‘administration’ at OVO’s end -  and although I have got smart meters, can I still sign up for the cheaper Better Energy?

Thank you in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 19 June 2022, 11:13

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

I am now thinking about the possibility of fixing for one year, but feel I need a bit of guidance. I have got smart meters for both gas and electricity, installed by SSE a while back, before I was switched over.

2 Year Fixed £224

1 Year Better Smart £223

So, I have two questions… Why is the Better Smart £15 more than the Better Energy - I presume it’s because of the ‘administration’ at OVO’s end -  and although I have got smart meters, can I still sign up for the cheaper Better Energy?

Thank you in advance. 

Hi @rjsimmonds I find the difference between the Better Smart and Better Energy tariff varies over time when you look at the online renewal quotes. Recently there was only a fraction of a penny difference, at the moment is seems to be higher for Better Smart, but may vary for individuals.

For new customers if you do a search on the OVO website only the Better Smart tariff comes up for one year for me at least, i only see the Better Energy tariff when looking at my renewal quotes. The Better Energy tariff doesn't come up for new customers. The Better Smart tariff says it is for new and existing customers on the renewal page, see below. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in tariff is to manage the number of new customers potentially signing up OVO. So I would go with the Better Energy tariff as an existing customer obviously.

This is just based on my experience and the wording on the renewal page. There may of course be another reason. 

Of course the rates may well change again the next time you log in due to the volatility of gas prices over the last few days after they were relatively stable for a few weeks. 

Userlevel 2

2 Year Fixed £224

1 Year Better Smart £223

Thank you in advance. 

Hi @rjsimmonds I find the difference between the Better Smart and Better Energy tariff varies over time when you look at the online renewal quotes. Recently there was only a fraction of a penny difference, at the moment is seems to be higher for Better Smart, but may vary for individuals.

For new customers if you do a search on the OVO website only the Better Smart tariff comes up for one year for me at least, i only see the Better Energy tariff when looking at my renewal quotes. The Better Energy tariff doesn't come up for new customers. The Better Smart tariff says it is for new and existing customers on the renewal page, see below. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in tariff is to manage the number of new customers potentially signing up OVO. So I would go with the Better Energy tariff as an existing customer obviously.

This is just based on my experience and the wording on the renewal page. There may of course be another reason. 

Of course the rates may well change again the next time you log in due to the volatility of gas prices over the last few days after they were relatively stable for a few weeks. 

Thank you. I wasn’t sure whether I could go for Better Energy because I already have smart meters. Though it must be alright, else I don’t suppose it would have been offered to me. I am seeing different tariff details for Better Smart (which I will post below because I’m not good at editing) so I will certainly give it some thought over the next couple of days..

Userlevel 2

This is what I am being offered. The electricity standing charge is quite a bit higher.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@rjsimmonds tariff do value by region so i am not surprised to see your tariff unit rates and standing charges different to mine. Obviously your estimated usage will also be different to mine. 

All tariffs vary by region, even the ofgem price cap. 

Let us know what you decide.

For me there are cheaper fixed rates than OVO at the moment for me at least so make sure you check other suppliers if you are happy switching. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@rjsimmonds  Can I just say that I wouldn't be fixing for just 1 year at those unit prices and standing charges. I'd either go with the variable, or use the fact that you have a smart meter to get a different type of tariff.