Solved

What's the best way to monitor OVO Variable plan prices?

• 7 February 2022
  • 30 replies

I have signed up for a 12 month fixed deal starting in March. I want to monitor Ovo variable rates from that point to see how wise/unwise I have been. Although they will no doubt be lower than fixed until October, I assume that my fixed rate deal may pay off from there. If not, I might switch to variable. I see no link on the website to allow me to view the variable rates. How do I get this information?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 April 2022, 11:33

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @boxticker and Welcome to the OVO online community,

An interesting question and I’ve taken this away to the team to double-check whether there’s a self-serve option to keep an eye on our Simpler Energy plan prices.

Whilst we’ll let you know the cheapest plan available on each monthly summary, the exact rates aren’t included here, so if you did want to check these our Support Team would be able to confirm the current rates for your area. Quickest way to reach the team is via our Live Chat which you can access here.

Hope this helps in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Jess.

I will use the Webchat option which I assume is by means of the “Message us” button.

Userlevel 7

That’s the one, @boxticker:thumbsup:  

Userlevel 1

Could someone please let me know what OVO’s capped variable rate tariff is from 1st April onwards.  I know it varies dependent on location  but your numbers would be a good guide.  I live in the Colchester area BTW.  I cannot find any info anywhere on the OVO website other than the current fixed deals.

I want to understand how much over the odds I am paying now against the likely savings I may make in six months time having switched to a 2 year fix before the rates got even more barmy for a fixed rate deal.  The initial decision to fix was based on the industry average rates published elsewhere in this forum a month ago and subsequently informed by the Martin Lewis reported guess that they will go up again by 25% in October.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @waiwurrie ,

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers here. I don’t work for OVO so I can’t access your account, but I can help out with a question like this one.

I’m afraid I don’t have the rates available to give you just now, but they’ll be available for you in MyOVO from tomorrow morning if memory serves. At around this time tomorrow, the renewal tool in there should have the latest data for you to do a comparison.

Hope this helps. I’ll come back to you if I find anything else useful.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Blastoise186 

I think you misunderstand me.  I have already renewed back at the beginning of March with a 2 year fix.  What I am asking for is some indication of the variable rates everyone else is being charged from the 1st April.  A previous post suggested that the rates on average across the country and suppliers should be

• Gas per day  27.22p standing plus 7.37p per kW
  • Electricity per day 45.34p standing plus 28.34p per kW

I cannot find this data on forums, website or google.  There appears to be no way to ask for it from the portal either.  It appears to be well hidden!  It is, I imagine, what a significant proportion of OVO customers are paying now.  Especially as fixed deals were not being recommended for some months prior to the recent energy crisis.  Someone on the forum must be paying it - could they just post the number here?  (Oh and whether their numbers include VAT or not)

TIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid I don’t have the data to hand as I’ve not had chance to look it up.

However, I can ask @Tim_OVO or @Jess_OVO for help with this. Hang in there for a bit, this may take some time.

Hello,

Is there anyone that can give me this information:

Economy 7 variable tariff: Has always been called simpler energy in the past.
Day time: Cost per kwh rate
Night time: cost per kwh rate
Daily standing charge.

ie. what did their variable rate rise too after the OFGEM cap increase 1st April?

I am currently on a fixed rate deal, I want to plan ahead as my bills will become £4500 per year if the OFGEM cap rises again in October 2022 by 50% that many are predicting.
A request for this information from OVO energy results in: “ contact us at the time answer”

From their current variable rate I can calculate future costs and spread the pain so planning ahead is essential when I am facing £375 a month energy costs.
Their online quote system doesn’t work for economy 7 customers - it’s flat rate, I’ve already tried this.

Edited to add I am on the London/Surrey boarder - in case their is anyone in this area, as I know rates vary slightly by region.

Thank you :)

Userlevel 1

@KevinJH is being offered the following as reported in another thread.  But this is not economy 7 but may help you.  I am not sure why Ovo are being so secretive about the tariffs they are currently offering people!

Being offered:

Plan rates 1Yr Fixed
Electricity
Unit rate: 39.23p/kWh
Standing charge: 42.50p/day

Gas
Unit rate: 11.37p/kWh
Standing charge: 27.52p/day

Variable Simpler Energy
Electricity 
Unit rate: 29.48p/kWh
Standing charge: 41.65p/day

Gas
Unit rate: 7.32p/kWh
Standing charge: 27.22p/day

HTH

@KevinJHis being offered the following as reported in another thread.  But this is not economy 7 but may help you.  I am not sure why Ovo are being so secretive about the tariffs they are currently offering people!

Thank you.

Yes I see from other threads people are struggling to get a straight answer.

You would think with the huge problems that customers are facing paying their energy bills, they would be transparent so that customers can budget and plan ahead.
But no, despite explaining very clearly, I cannot get an answer from Ovo energy.

I also find it interesting that others coming to an end of of a fixed rate deal seem to have no issues receiving emails for a new fixed deal that is higher than the OFGEM price cap, but the variable rate that they’d automatically drop onto if they do not take a new fixed deal fails to appear in their mail box.

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry for the difficulty you’ve both had trying to access the current Simpler Energy prices in your area.

We’d usually recommend checking these on our Quote and Switch page, however due to the current energy market conditions we’re not currently offering this plan here. If your plan is nearing renewal time, you’ll be able to view the current rates on this plan on the ‘renew my plan’ menu option of your online account. Our Support Team can also help provide these details if you’re not currently in your renewal window.

It’s worth bearing in mind that as a variable plan the rates on this plan are liable to change, our team are happy to help confirm the current rates but can’t offer any information about future rates on this plan.

I hope this provides a bit more information to help.

I also wanted the new (April) variable rates for comparison with my 1 year fixed contract. I requested them using the direct online chat service and received them straight away. They were:-

Electricity  28.46p/kwh. St. charge 43.39p/day

Gas                7.48p/kwh   St. charge 27.22p/day

All including VAT.

I will request again in October when the next price cap is put in place.

Userlevel 7

Great to see the Support Team were able to get the Simpler Energy rates confirmed for you, @boxticker.

Just as a reminder for others who might be reading this, as rates to vary region to region it’s always best to contact the team directly to verify if the rates mentioned above apply in your case. 👍

Apologies @Jess_OVO. I was aware of the regional differences but forgot that point when posting.

I'm on a fixed energy plan which ends in Dec 2022.

Is there a way to calculate what my recent bills would have been if I WASN'T on the plan? Just so I can compare and plan for December....

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I assume you mean if you were on a variable tariff?

Simply multiply your usage (in kWh) by the unit rate then add on the standing charge. I don't have OVO's variable tariff figures but the average across the country is…

Electricity - 28p per kWh with 45p daily standing charge.

Gas - 7p per kWh with 27p daily standing charge.

However, the cap will change again in September so the figures will be different in December.

Userlevel 6
Badge

As a starting point, I would assume that the bills will double. Gas might go up a bit more than that even. 

The exact price cap will be published in August, so at that point I would just recalculate as M.isterW recommended. 

Userlevel 7

Some great advice being shared by our community members already, @hopperson.

Just in case you hadn’t spotted it yet, we’ve got more details about the cause of these price increase and links to additional support which you might find helpful here.

I hope this helps your planning for your future energy costs.

Hi. I am looking to swap energy supplier to OVO as their 1 year fixed rate tariff will be cheaper than with my current supplier when my deal ends later this month. I see with the OVO tariff, that if OVO aren’t able to fit a Smart Meter with 3 months, I will go onto their variable rate. I cannot find anywhere what this rate will be. I would like to find it out just in case I can’t get the meter fitted in time - please can anybody tell me the variable tariff? Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @scot123 ,

For the current variable rates, you’ll need to give OVO’s Support Team a call on 0330 303 5063 as the Quote & Switch Tool does not offer them.

The three month rule is relaxed under certain conditions though, such as if there’s no appointments available at all during the three month allowance, or a smart meter can’t be fitted due to some kind of compatibility issue or an abandoned install. Basically, any reason that’s beyond your control is automatically exempted and you get an extended grace period under those circumstances.

You only lose the tariff if you refuse to have a smart meter upgrade and deliberately evade all of OVO’s attempts to reach out to you.

If it turns out that an upgrade is impossible for reasons beyond your control, OVO will honour the fixed rate deal for the entire 12 month term anyway, so you can’t lose easily.

Thank you very much for your help, that’s appreciated. It’s a shame you have to call them, it would be so much easier and free up a customer service agent’s time, if the tariffs could just be on the website! Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@scot123 The variable tariff will work out cheaper than the fixed tariff rates up until October. If you refuse a smart meter upgrade it’s likely it will be Autumn onwards that any change of tariff would be actioned.

The relative unknown will be the rates set after the revised cap in the Autumn. No-one knows exactly what these will be but they could be in the region of a 30% increase on the current cap. But as @Blastoise186 has said you will have to be very evasive with OVO for them to need to remove your fixed tariff.

That makes sense - thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s also worth noting that it’d be an absolute nightmare to maintain a single page on the OVO website that listed all the current tariff rates for the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff alone for every single region, and that’s before you start tracking the fixed rate tariffs for every region. Given how often they can change, it’s better to generate them on the fly.

It’s also a risk based thing. Variable rate tariffs carry more risk of non-payment than fixed rate contracts. OVO needs to make sure the potential member will actually pay up each month!

Userlevel 7
Badge

It’s also worth noting that it’d be an absolute nightmare to maintain a single page on the OVO website that listed all the current tariff rates for the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff alone for every single region, and that’s before you start tracking the fixed rate tariffs for every region. Given how often they can change, it’s better to generate them on the fly.

It’s also a risk based thing. Variable rate tariffs carry more risk of non-payment than fixed rate contracts. OVO needs to make sure the potential member will actually pay up each month!

I quite like how Octopus let you see all their current tariffs for every region. 

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Simply enter your postcode at the bottom of the page. You cannot sign up via this page, just see the tariffs. 

Something OVO could consider doing on their site. It would help with a lot of questions on this forum and help prevent some calls to customer services. I am all for any self service features.  I assume there is a good reason OVO don't do this.