Solved

What's the best plan for EV owners during these high prices? Is Anytime still available?

• 2 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi all. 

Sorry, I'm only able to ask questions here atm. I made a phone call and the line at the other end (after a considerable wait but at least able to hear the wait music) was far too poor to be able to hear anything. I think she was trying to suggest chat, hard to tell with the line so very bad, but despite now trying 3 times it keeps telling me there's no one to talk to me, so phone in. Round in circles. Frustrating to say the least. Anyway...…

Our current fix ends in sept, 7 days before the new price cap will be due. There are some fixes which for various reasons we are thinking about, but as you can guess they are eye watering! However, I have some queries about them so I'm hoping there are some OVO employed bods around here somewhere. 

The drive tariff is ridiculous quite frankly, but I'd think about it if we can find out if the Anytime add on is still available, and how much would the price be on that when smart charging. That's what we have now. 

Also, are there any time of use tariffs? How do I find out about those? Fixes?

And finally we've been offered an online only tariff that has an add on for boiler cover (extra cost). We don't want to take boiler cover. Apart from anything else our boiler is 14 years old this month so unlikely to be eligible, but even if it is we are currently looking at options going forward which might end up being Heat Pump. But I can't find out if that tariff is still available to us if we don't take the boiler cover?

Can anyone help please? I'm only asking because both other forms of contact aren't working, and some of us still need to work to pay for horrendous energy prices 😢. I don't have the time nor headspace to keep calling again and again in the hopes of getting a better phone line. I asked for a call back and that was more or less refused saying it won't make any difference to linw quality. 

Thanks 

Kim

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 2 August 2022, 17:58

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

I’m on my phone so can only answer one question rn, my full reply will be posted within six hours max.

The boiler cover thing is just an optional feature. You can still take the tariff and ignore the boiler cover if you don’t want that feature - you’d have to activate it separately anyway after taking the tariff. If you don’t explicitly activate the boiler cover, you won’t be charged for it.

Hope this helps. I’ll be home later!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Gum168

I don't work for OVO. Am just a customer like you.

Just a few things in case you didn't know.

- Ofgem announce the variable price cap figures for Oct around the 26th August.

- The price cap going to be updated every quarter unless something changes, so Oct, Jan, April, July.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO: As of the 1st November 2023, Charge Anytime now offers  7p per kWh for smart charging. See this eligibility list to check if you have an eligible smart charger OR vehicle, that can be used with Charge Anytime via ‘Direct to vehicle’ with any smart charger. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks everyone. 

It's so tricky knowing whether to fix or not right now, but I did a quick calculation and although the variable rate they've quoted on looks much cheaper than the fixes right now, there's a 2 year fix that's interesting. Basically if I add 70% to the current capped variable (as predicted for the October rise)it then takes it to just below the lowest 2 year they are offering. But no drive anytime, and we are very used to the 5p/kWh for the cars. We have an OVO supplied smart charger. But the new drive tariff overall is nearly the most expensive so I'd have to go back and check how much we have used for the cars and see if it'll make sense. 12 months only though. 

Then again, I can charge my car at work for 20p/kWh atm, at least until someone notices they aren't charging enough. I'm certainly not saying anything 🤫. 

Normally we only fix, but the current situation is making it hard to decide because if the prices continue to rise into 2024 we are probably better off fixing, but then again who knows, it's not a definite. Been talking to our adult kids, 1 says fix, another says don't and another says thank God they fixed for 2 years just over a year ago, it's not yet on their radar. Who knows 🤷

Now where did I leave my crystal ball?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Drive Anytime Add-On is planned to roll out across ALL of OVO’s tariffs in the near future, just in case that helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Ooh, on all tariffs? Now that is really good news! Thank you. That helps somewhat, it makes the 2 yr online only tariff look more attractive. 

My husband is retired now and I am planning on going that way in 2-3 years, so we need the price to be right, but equally a fixed income going forward (no chance of a bit of overtime) needs a fixed outgoings where possible. 

We love our EVs, but for all the fossil fuel car drivers out there, you are upset that your driving costs have risen? Try going from 5p/kWh to well over 50p in one jump. Last time we bought fuel was over 3 years ago, I think it was around £1.20 -£1.30 a litre. Imagine that was about to jump to £12 a LTR. Overnight on 22nd Sept. 😢. That's what we are facing for the 2 EV cars. I really hope there's a drive anytime on all tariffs soon. I don't expect it to be 5p, but any saving would be very, very welcome. 

Sorry, bit of a moan, but like many others this is really stressing me out. I know I'm not alone though. It is what it is. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’d love confirmation of drive coming on other tariff’s, I find it crazy the most expensive tariff is the EV one, and the only reason i’m considering it is for anytime

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all. 

Sorry, I'm only able to ask questions here atm. I made a phone call and the line at the other end (after a considerable wait but at least able to hear the wait music) was far too poor to be able to hear anything. I think she was trying to suggest chat, hard to tell with the line so very bad, but despite now trying 3 times it keeps telling me there's no one to talk to me, so phone in. Round in circles. Frustrating to say the least. Anyway...…

Our current fix ends in sept, 7 days before the new price cap will be due. There are some fixes which for various reasons we are thinking about, but as you can guess they are eye watering! However, I have some queries about them so I'm hoping there are some OVO employed bods around here somewhere. 

The drive tariff is ridiculous quite frankly, but I'd think about it if we can find out if the Anytime add on is still available, and how much would the price be on that when smart charging. That's what we have now. 

And finally we've been offered an online only tariff that has an add on for boiler cover (extra cost). We don't want to take boiler cover. Apart from anything else our boiler is 14 years old this month so unlikely to be eligible, but even if it is we are currently looking at options going forward which might end up being Heat Pump. But I can't find out if that tariff is still available to us if we don't take the boiler cover?

Can anyone help please? I'm only asking because both other forms of contact aren't working, and some of us still need to work to pay for horrendous energy prices 😢. I don't have the time nor headspace to keep calling again and again in the hopes of getting a better phone line. I asked for a call back and that was more or less refused saying it won't make any difference to linw quality. 

Thanks 

Kim

@Gum168 

Hi all. 

Thanks 

Kim

@Gum168 Tariff comparison site