Solved

What's happening with OVO Drive + Anytime and the energy price guarantee (EPG)?

• 15 October 2022
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 43 replies

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt and see what my next bill is before starting a complaint or trying to contact again, I’m holding on to some faith that it will just be added on to the bill as a credit and all will be peachy, but I have my doubts. I’ve only contacted support once and I had the same copy pate reply then a bit of a sarcastic comment about being patient and the other end closing the chat window.

I can only assume no one in Ovo has told support what is happening, or the higher ups they haven’t figured it out themselves yet. I apricate it's all a bit last minute with the government so I don’t think it's fair to complain immediately, just put a screenshot of my tariff page which I’ve been checking obsessively every day to see if it changes. Just wondering if anyone's tariff has changed automatically does it just show the new rates or is there a message saying rates will be applied?

My recommend direct debit seems to keep going up too, I’ve done the reduce for 3 months temporarily but at the top of the page being gleefully told the recommendations are based on the government caps it makes me a bit dubious.

Only posting this one as I don’t seem to of seen anyone with the anytime addon been switched or have the same query, I feel like I can’t be the only one! 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 October 2022, 16:19

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 02/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO: 

OVO Drive +Anytime customers will benefit from the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) whilst keeping their add on. Initially, customers on OVO Drive who had the Anytime add on were moved to the variable plan Simpler under the EPG. Following some issues related to the variable plan and the add on itself, instead we’re repricing the existing contracts of customers on OVO Drive +Anytime. Everyone should’ve have been contacted by now to confirm what was happening with your tariff. If you haven’t had an email or letter and you think your tariff is wrong, our Support team are able to help.   

Customers who are on the OVO Drive tariff but don’t have the Anytime add on will be affected in the same way as anyone else on a fixed tariff with OVO. Everyone should’ve been contacted to explain what we’ve done. We will have worked out what the best option is for you in terms of prices. That might’ve been staying on your existing tariff with no change, or moving to the variable plan Simpler (this is the most common outcome for OVO Drive customers). If it’s a close call (perhaps gas is better on one, but electricity is better on the other) we’ll let you know this and give you the option of staying put or moving without any termination fees. As long as you have at least 60 days remaining on your original fixed term contract, we are enabling customers to switch back at any time between now and the end of April (a month after the Energy Price Guarantee comes to an end). More information and frequently asked questions here

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @stead and thanks for flagging this. 

It’s my understanding that the OVO Drive prices fall into the category where it would be financially worth your while to be put onto the Simpler prices + EPG. I’m not sure why your prices haven’t been changed yet, and it’s one of the questions I have outstanding with the team managing this process. 

Feel free to link to this tariff if and when you contact the Support team to request they manually move you to Simpler. 

I'm actually happy to stay on the tariff assuming the reductions of 17p and 4.2 applied based on the government epb, I know its still higher but I would prefer to keep the drive anytime add on. 

I'm also worried about todays announcement about this price lock being 6 months instead of 24, if moving away from drive means I can't go back in the future I would rarther stay on it for now assuming anytime can be kept!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just wanted to ask, any news on how rebates apply to tariffs like mine yet? 

Userlevel 5

Hey @stead,

If you’re referring to the Energy Bills Support Scheme £66 payment, this should be credited to your bank account 3-5 days after your direct debit is cleared. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @stead,

If you’re referring to the Energy Bills Support Scheme £66 payment, this should be credited to your bank account 3-5 days after your direct debit is cleared. 

Thanks, I've had the £66 but I'm curious to how the discounted rates get applied, at the moment I'm eagerly awaiting my October bill to see if its listed on it.

Otherwise I'm a bit confused about the epg with fixed tariffs! 

Userlevel 5

Hey @stead,

In that case I'd follow Tim’s advice here:

Hi @stead and thanks for flagging this. 

It’s my understanding that the OVO Drive prices fall into the category where it would be financially worth your while to be put onto the Simpler prices + EPG. I’m not sure why your prices haven’t been changed yet, and it’s one of the questions I have outstanding with the team managing this process. 

Feel free to link to this tariff if and when you contact the Support team to request they manually move you to Simpler. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I've had my bill for occotober and the government fixed rates epg hasn't been applied. 

The government page says this will apply to all fixed tariffs and Ovo also states the same. 

Is this due to the electric working out far cheaper overall due to the drive add on? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @stead  yes I’m sure that’s the case. If you wade down through the explanation of the EPG help link from the OVO app page there’s this:

‘If you're currently on a fixed plan that's priced below the Energy Price Guarantee your rates will not change, and you don’t need to do anything. This is because the price you pay for your energy is already lower than the government's Energy Price Guarantee. At the end of your fixed plan, you’ll move onto our Standard Variable Tariff, where the Energy Price Guarantee rates will apply.’

Userlevel 3
Badge

My tariff is shown above, paying 7p a unit over the government cap for gas which I read as I should get a 4.2p a unit off still bringing gas 3p more than the variable cap, but I'm happy with that 

I get it not being applied to electric as it averages out under the price cap, but shouldn't I still get help with the gas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm I see what you mean, sorry, I should have read further back. I’m on Drive but without the Anytime add on, my rate is lower than the EPG. The whole thing is so complicated, particularly when we don’t know what rates will be in April, and you’re on a duel fuel tariff so I’m inclined to think they won’t just change the gas. Have you looked in the government instructions to energy companies? A bit of light reading for the weekend!!!

Actually the EPG notes are much briefer than the EBSS instructions 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

and I can’t see anything about splitting the tariff.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Many thanks for replying! It's nice to see a fellow customer on drive! my old rates were very good so the new rates are a bit eye watering but with the drive add on still makes sense or stay with it on a fixed tariff

I've based what I thought should happen on the fixed tariff part, and the homepage of my ovo online account gleefully telling me it's all automatic!l

The drive credit gets added on to the bill as a payment so in my mind shouldn't affect the prices as the unit price is still very high. But honestly I'm not that cocnered with electric it's the gas for the next few months I find scary, saying that the £66 is a big help mind and I'm very grateful for it. 

Snapshot of my bill, as you can see my dd is huge and thats after the temporary 3 months 10% of! 

Honestly I was kinda fine with the pricing. Well considering everything going on I accepted high energy prices I just feel like I was trying to be responsible by fixing in advance and then it seems I should of been just waiting for the government to bail everyone out for cheaper bills. I mean I'm not thrilled at the increases but in my mind long term low fixed deals have been kind of brewing this perfect storm for pricing, in work we are still paying under 15p kwh, 5 year contract and a lot of the very high use businesses around us are on simular deals, I kind of think that's unsustainable and I feel we are all suffering from the effects of wreckless long term fixed deals

I'm sure my posts just come off as ranting, I think I'll need to contact customer services and hopefully have a better experience next time round. I've been avoiding it hoping it would just be an automatic process at bill time. 

If anything when I get round to contacting support maybe this thread makes it easier for them to understand what I'm trying to say 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You aren’t ranting nearly as much as some people ! Far too polite ! I suppose the best way to reduce bills is to reduce our usage as far as possible. Good luck with customer services, I’m sure you’ll be gentle with them. Definitely avoid Mondays, and report how you get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@juliamc were your Drive rates lower than the EPG anyway (i.e. you took out the tariff before the Drive prices went up) or have they been adjusted to be in line with the EPG discount?

I'm assuming they were low to begin with as otherwise if they have been reduced there's no reason why @stead shouldn't see the same reduction as it's the same product. +Anytime is just an add-on and shouldn't impact on adjustment to the actual tariff.

Not sure how new Drive tariffs are currently being sold but it's interesting that Octopus have changed their EV Go tariff from a fixed tariff to a variable so they can still benefit from the EPG for the time being (unlike new fixed tariffs that started after October that don't benefit). Wondering how long the 5p/kWh +Anytime rate will last.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @nealmurphy yes they were lower than the EPG and haven’t changed since I fixed in Feb this year. The rates looked high then but now they look low.

I presume I’ll be moved to EPG for March next year then be at the mercy of the ‘standard’ rates from April.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @nealmurphy yes they were lower than the EPG and haven’t changed since I fixed in Feb this year. The rates looked high then but now they look low.

I presume I’ll be moved to EPG for March next year then be at the mercy of the ‘standard’ rates from April.

This is probably a reasonable estimate for now about rates. They have been pretty good in the past. But they do adjust their estimates as we get closer. 

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/cornwall-insight-forecasts-a-fall-in-the-april-2023-price-cap-but-prices-remain-significantly-above-the-energy-price-guarantee/

Ofgem will release their 1st Jan cap on 24th November so that will be interesting to see, even though the Energy Price Guarantee will still apply then

One big unknown is what the government do with the Bulb costs which could be over £4billion which are not currently loaded onto bills.... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh heck !

Userlevel 5

Hey @stead,

You should still benefit from the Energy Price Guarantee even if you’re on Drive. I imagine that you are part of the cohort that haven’t yet been contacted. You’ll be re-priced and re-billed to the 1st of October.

If you’re concerned I'd advise contacting Support.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @stead,

You should still benefit from the Energy Price Guarantee even if you’re on Drive. I imagine that you are part of the cohort that haven’t yet been contacted. You’ll be re-priced and re-billed to the 1st of October.

If you’re concerned I'd advise contacting Support.

Hope this helps. 

I've contacted support and just get the same copy paste reply completly ignoring the epg discounted rates just saying I will be contacted shortly.

No problem with being rebilled just feel like after nearly 2 months some kind of contact should of been made if only a weekly email saying you are in queue and we will be with you instead of no contact 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 5

Hey @stead,

I’m sorry to hear this,

You could try and raise a complaint to see if this gets the issue resolved sooner? You can find out more about our Complaint Procedure on the website. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

So I just seen the faq has been updated!

Considering support has told me I will be contacted and ovo is stating they have contacted everyone a complaint is the only way to get the epg discounts applied.

Just posting in case anyone else is in the same situation 

Userlevel 5

Hey @stead,

In that case, I’d advise asking to be manually moved to the variable tariff, Support can raise it to an internal team for the re-billing. 

Hope this helps. 

We are on a fixed ovo drive + anytime tariff at a rate per kWh that is higher than the EPG rates.  Has anyone else on here managed to get their kWh rates changed in line with the EPG rates (other than by moving to the variable simpler tariff and losing the benefits of the drive + anytime plan)?  @Tim_OVO are you able to help at all please?

It appears that the big news is that OVO have abandoned their EV community. This is because we are now paying much more than the EPG  (Energy Price guarantee) for non EV energy usage if we stay on the Drive + anytime plan. We can’t afford to pay the rates being asked for all our household needs for gas and electricity if we stay on the Drive + anytime plan. Heating our home is non negotiable and not affordable on this plan.

We will have no choice but to go onto the Standard Variable rate plan where we will no longer be able to charge our Nissan Leaf 24kWh EV using the fantastic smart system that uses excess wind power that has been charged at 5 p per kWh. 

This means we will be paying standard variable rate cost for charging our EV whatever time of day or night we charge it. Having spent thousands more to buy an EV we will never recover the extra purchase costs now we are forced onto the standard variable rates.

This is big news. OVO no longer offer a plan that makes purchasing and EV a financially viable exercise. @Tim_OVO what is you take on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@KHebb the USP of +Anytime was that you could get cheap charging at any time you needed to. This is still the case. You can't get guaranteed daytime charging for that price anywhere else, to my knowledge.

If you are able to charge overnight, which I appreciate some people aren't able to, then your choice is either an Economy 7 tariff or an off-peak EV tariffs from the likes of Octopus or British Gas. Each tariff has its advantages, you need to work out which meets your needs the most.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@KHebb the USP of +Anytime was that you could get cheap charging at any time you needed to. This is still the case. You can't get guaranteed daytime charging for that price anywhere else, to my knowledge.

If you are able to charge overnight, which I appreciate some people aren't able to, then your choice is either an Economy 7 tariff or an off-peak EV tariffs from the likes of Octopus or British Gas. Each tariff has its advantages, you need to work out which meets your needs the most.

I believe eon have a 4.5p kwh rate...