Usage not showing on online account - "We're experiencing some issues"

anybody else having problems with usage not showing for the last few days

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 9 August 2021, 11:14

View original

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Heya @Sparky2552 ! Welcome back to the forum, we’ve not seen you for a while. :sunglasses:

I can try to advise on this, but I could do with some photos of your meters and in home display if possible. If you could also fill out your profile for me, that would be great.

This will help us to understand a few more clues as well. I have some theories, but it’s not ideal to work blind.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Similar issue for us. We have been away for a couple of days so zero gas use may have confused the usage functionality in general for us. 

Will see if it sorts itself out in a couple of days. 

Been like this for 4 days now

Same here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

5th is the last day we can see the usage

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My gas usage (the one that covers a whole month) has had 3 strange days recently (28 Jul, 1 Aug, 3 Aug). Turns out those were occasions when it didn’t get a smart meter reading at the end of the day. I think they must have changed the way they estimate meter readings recently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, I can reveal one possible theory at least. Simon has a good one, but it’s not the only one.

According to SmartMe, Secure Liberty meters have recently been migrating to DCC under the Enrolment & Adoption process to upgrade them to SMETS1+ and make them work with all suppliers freely. The downside is that this does require the meters to go “offline” temporarily during the migration.

It is said that the process can take up to six weeks and there’s nothing you can do to speed this up regardless of supplier. Once your meters reconnect via DCC, you should start to see data again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Mine is a SMETS2.

Also stopped updating the kwh figure on the bills which perhaps is not surprising.

I assume the Greenlight weekly snapshot will also be out now as well when it comes out today.

IHD is updating. Shame we can't pull data off the IHD as Bulb has started doing with their latest IHDs

I will wait and see if it sorts itself out this week. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

According to this my Aclara SGM1412-B is SMETS2 as well.

FWIW, the half-hourly usage data is fine (and complete). It’s only the daily summary that’s gone awry on a few occasions. (Close comparison with usage figures in the Bright app shows that there are several other days when Ovo’s daily figures are off. There are also a few more missing daily readings, but I haven’t looked to see if they’re linked (yet).

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Updated on 13/08/21 by Tim: 

Resolved

All email communications and balance updates have now caught up. We’re resuming postal communications on Monday and regenerating all bills that were sent during this issue, we’ll split these over three days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) next week. All systems are now working as normal.

This has appeared at the top of the page when i log in. Functionality still works, albeit data is out of date. So maybe an OVO issue for at least some users. 

We're experiencing some issues

We're currently experiencing some technical issues, and we're working to fix them. Please check back later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ahh ok. That makes sense. It sounds like someone is already on the case - but I would definitely recommend alerting the Support Team about this if you are affected so they can raise a case on your account. Hopefully it should be fixed soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

From OVO on twitter via PM

"Thanks for getting in touch. We're currently experiencing technical issues which are affecting a few of our services right now which may be the reason why you're seeing this message. We're working on fixing this so it may be worth checking back on your online account later once we've resolved this issue."

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

6th and 7th now populated for me with the half hourly electric figures, but not the daily totals on the month tab.

The bills haven't updated with usage either so the system is getting out of sync.

Message appeared asking about entering a manual reading but i am going to ignore as the bills are OK for usage up to 5th

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s progress at least! :)

Chances are your billing will be properly updated next time a full days worth of readings come through to complete the daily profile. So this shouldn’t need too much action on your part. If needed, I can try to ask Tim for any available updates as well, so you’re all in the right place for that.

The alerts are now also in the OVO Energy apps as well, so they’re pretty hard to miss at this point.

Userlevel 7

Nice one everyone,

We’ll keep this thread updated as soon as we hear anything new internally about these technical issues. 

I’m watching my online account and inbox like a hawk! 

I’m on the 8th for electric and 6th for gas.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

There are also a few more missing daily readings, but I haven’t looked to see if they’re linked (yet).

I’ve browsed through usage data back to May this year.

FWIW, my gas half-hourly usage figures (the ones shown on the “daily” page) are there for every day (so long as the value isn’t zero - My Ovo persists in saying “Looks like we couldn’t find some of your usage data” when there should be a genuine 0.00 kWh).

Any time that there’s a missing smart meter reading (the Ovo Energy android app lists all the readings), it turns out that the gas daily usage figures (the ones shown on the “monthly” page) are messed up for the day immediately before the missing reading and the day of the reading (which is taken just after midnight).

I hope this information is of use to whoever has the task of fixing the usage software’s broken estimation process. Tagging @Tim_OVO ...

Once upon a time, if a smart meter reading was missing, Ovo would take the usage based on whatever smart meter readings it did have, and share it out evenly over the days in each interval. Simple, and with the benefit of retaining a consistency between usage and meter readings.

Who knows what they do now? I don’t. But it will be interesting to hear an explanation if/when one emerges, once the current technical issue(s) have been resolved, of course.

It’s all up to date now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just a quick update for you guys. I’ll ask for the current Best Answer to be updated when Tim and Jess stop by, since I’d rather keep @Jeffus credited rather than have me swallow up yet another one (otherwise he might get demoted by accident)! :wink:

I’m told that OVO has managed to get a fix in place for the issue and the platform is now in recovery. There is a LOT of data that needs to be caught up but I’ve been informed that ** edited by mod ** the team is busy working on getting things back ASAP!

So yeah, if you’re now seeing your account up-to-date, that’s a really good sign. If not, hang in there for just a bit longer! OVO is overclocking literally everything to get the number crunching to catch up and the hamsters that power the servers are spinning those hamster wheels at double the usual pace. :joy:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The usage page for me for August is gradually getting filled in and some spurious figures removed for daily. So lots of progress. 

The Billing page hasn't restarted using the usage info for me but that is probably a good thing. The usage info is still stopped at the 6th August on the bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah, it looks like all the data is being backfilled for me as well. I suspect OVO is attempting to backfill basically all missing data in MyOVO by utilising the data that’s recorded locally on the Smart Meters themselves and importing that into the platform in-bulk to catch up on what’s not been loaded in during the outage. Which is a pretty smart move, even if it does mean getting back up to speed might take a bit longer.

MyOVO will also need time to do some more number crunching to process all the billing updates for basically everyone. I think OVO is working on getting all of that done as fast as possible, but it’s easier to do once the platform has all the data available that it needs to run the numbers.

I suspect literally millions of SMETS Commands are probably being shoved through DCC right now and throughout the week to get that all taken care of! I just hope DCC doesn’t crash as a result! :rofl:

It’s not currently ideal to attempt to request anything that involves using SMETS Commands at the moment due to the backlog, so I’d recommend waiting a few more days before asking for things like pairing an IHD or getting on-demand readings. But the Support Team did confirm that Raichu managed to send in a reading at 4am this morning which has been successfully logged to my account.

FWIW, my August page has data, kWh per day, but unimproved over before. And the latest gas value is another interesting one:

Simultaneously, the half-hourly kWh values on the Daily page are all there and remain fine (the sum of yesterdays HH chunks is +10.04 kWh, according to both Ovo and the Bright app).

Unrelatedly (?) I’ve been reduced to creating and using a backup id on here for now…

Simon1D

Userlevel 7

Thanks for bearing with us everyone!

Me and @Tim_OVO are keeping an eye on the progress of the tech fixes and will be sure to update you all here when we know more. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Unrelatedly (?) I’ve been reduced to creating and using a backup id on here for now…

All sorted, now, many thanks @Tim_OVO !

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If possible, you might want to check your meter reading history using the OVO Energy app. It seems to confirm (for me at least) that OVO has definitely been receiving meter readings the entire time and has been crunching them as normal (unless the team has simply backfilled everything and I’ve only just noticed). For me, MyOVO doesn’t show any readings beyond the 6th August yet but the fact that they’re in the app is good enough for me.

As for why this is the case. Let’s just say that the app works in a slightly different way to MyOVO and I think it probably uses a different part of the API which seems to be closer to “bare metal” too. Which would make sense when I think about it.