• 7 replies

Why is my standing charge higher than the price cap

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 23 September 2022, 12:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, it might not be above the price cap at all.

The price caps are just averages, if you’re in a more expensive area, your charges would be higher. The price cap until the 1st October 2022 also does NOT apply to fixed rate tariffs.

Userlevel 4

Hey @Imalyn,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community. 

I can see @Blastoise186 has already given some tip-top advice here. Just wanted to step in to add that if you are paying on demand, instead of by direct debit, your rates will be higher. 

As advised in this similar thread:

The prices you’re paying for your energy may be changing in October. For all the up to date advice, see this page dedicated to the Energy Price Guarantee. We’ll keep that page updated with any changes as and when.

If you don’t have a smart meter that sends us your readings remotely every day, we’d recommend you submit a manual meter reading this week or next via your online account.  

We’ve also got a page with FAQs dedicated to the Energy Bills Support Scheme. And OVO’s Customer Support Package: everything you need to know

Hi no I am not paying on demand  I have the simpler energy and pay by DD on the Martin Lewis money show last night it showed the Standing charge set by Ofgem a lot lower . OVO are double. Just wanted to know why . We are low energy elec users 

Userlevel 4

Hey @Imalyn,

Thanks for your response.

Can you send a screenshot of the standing charge and unit rates you are paying so we can take a look into this for you. You can find this information on your Online Account.

Let’s get to the bottom of this!

Userlevel 4

Hey @Imalyn,

Thank you for your response. 

The Government has bought in the Price Cap Guarantee, which caps the prices at £2,500 for an average home. But it will still be higher than the cap introduced by OFGEM in April. If you were sent those rates today or last night those will be your new rates. 

The prices you’re paying for your energy may be changing in October. For all the up to date advice, see this page dedicated to the Energy Price Guarantee. We’ll keep that page updated with any changes as and when.

If you don’t have a smart meter that sends us your readings remotely every day, we’d recommend you submit a manual meter reading this week or next via your online account.  

We’ve also got a page with FAQs dedicated to the Energy Bills Support Scheme. And OVO’s Customer Support Package: everything you need to know

Hope this helps.

Badge +1

It is correct. You are in the south west area with the highest standing charges.  The lowest is London @ 33.16p.  You unit rate would have been 51.71p but for the EPG.  Average rates used in the media can lead to some serious misconceptions

The EPG has not changed the OFGEM standing charges published for the October 2022 price cap, although the unit rates have been superseded.