Solved

SSE to OVO Migration - Why are my bills estimated billing despite having a smart meter?

Hello everyone, please  I need help/advice. We moved to UK in January,the former tenants were with SSE ,we thought it wasn't  necessary changing the supplier. I gave a meter reading and I was told its not necessary because my smart meter is working  perfectly. I have an app monitoring my daily and monthly usage, after the migration I was given an estimated bill which was not accurate with my usage despite having a working smart meter. 

The bill breakdown I was given has large discrepancies, with additional balance adjustment 

I called them severally,their response was that they couldn't access my smart meter hence the estimated  bill, however they could access the smart meter for the final reading and Ovo opening reading. Whenever I try  to explain things the customer drop calls on me,Mails are not replied. This excess charge is over £300 that I didn't use I feel exploited and helpless, I thought having a smart meter and an app will make things transparent.

I have screenshots of my meter readings with dates backing my claims however I don't know who to talk to since SSE has refused to resolve this matter.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 17 June 2022, 13:05

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Temmyabiola ,

I’m still thinking about how best to reply to this one, but for now you might want to try the live chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com via the Message Us button.

If I can think of anything else to suggest, I’ll let you know.

There’s more details which might help diagnose any potential smart meter communication difficulties in the guides below:

Thanks for your response @Blastoise186 I'll try the live chat as suggested. I will send an update as soon as I get one.

This issue hasn't been resolved. I couldn't get any help unfortunately. However ,my smart meter is working perfectly. I feel exploited by SSE

Userlevel 7

It’s such a shame to hear this is still ongoing, @Temmyabiola. We’re not well placed to know the specifics but from what you describe, communication with the meter is intermittent. 

Have you kept a note of the reading from when you moved in, as well as the date? If you’ve got that and a recent reading, I can’t understand how the billing error is anything more than temporary. 

See this hub for guides that show you how to take a reading from a smart meter: 

If you’re now with OVO, online chat if your best best to get account specific help, and it sounds like you may have raised a complaint about this? If you have and it’s not resolved, you should be contacted about it. If you don’t, come back here and we’ll take it over to a private message to take some details and offer some help. Hopefully this is sorted before that’s necessary though!

Have you managed to make any progress with this? I'm having the exact same issue (even moved in in January like you) and will contact Ovo tomorrow. Seems like they've really screwed up the migration between the 2 companies. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Bayesy98 

There are a few free 3rd party apps for android and apple phones that many of us use.

These companies can legally access your  smart meter data if you give them permission. Links to one of the apps, you don't need to buy any of their separate devices. 

https://glowmarkt.com/

You will then be able to see if the Bright app is seeing anything different to OVO. 

It can be a useful check if you think there is a problem with OVO itself or elsewhere. 

This is another company with a free app

https://loop.homes/

Here you can see the loop app displaying the 30min readings for electricity for me for example. You can also see daily and monthly figures. 

@Bayesy98

There are a few free 3rd party apps for android and apple phones that many of us use.

These companies can legally access your  smart meter data if you give them permission. Links to one of the apps, you don't need to buy any of their separate devices. 

https://glowmarkt.com/

https://loop.homes/

Thank you. I'm going to check one of these out now. 

@Tim_OVO I have  got all the meter readings with screenshots with date and time sent to them. I have tried all within my capacity to reach out,nothing is working. .... It's just so sad and bad experience working so hard to pay debt for what I didn't consume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Bayesy98

Here is an example screenshot from the Bright app for me. 

I personally find it easier to read

@Jeffus@Tim_OVO  I had the SSE app where I monitor my usage until they migrated and I couldn't access the app anymore.Before migration it showed I owed January- April £603 being quarterly payment. By May 20 after Migration I was given a bill of £1100.... unfortunately I can't access the SSE app anymore it was all there. Now they are claiming my meter was not sending readings to them that was why I was sent an estimated billing. Which is apparently not true, if they weren't getting meter readings there is no way I will be see my usage on the app. SSE were not fair in their migration and most are their staffs are not helpful.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Temmyabiola  and welcome to the OVO online community,

I’m so sorry to hear about the confusion with your smart meter communication since your account has joined us from SSE. As you mention, the SSE app is no longer accessible following the migration of your account. You should still be able to view your historic SSE bills by logging in to the online version of your SSE account here or on the ‘Billing History’ page of your new OVO online account.

Hope this helps check the communication of your smart meters.

Hey everybody,

So I've just had a long rather productive conversation with a lady called Freya from the migration team and she helped loads with the explanation of what has been happening and also the resolving of the issues.

Essentially what this balance adjustment comes from is the Final bill that SSE send to Ovo containing an estimate instead of a direct smart meter reading - the estimate of which is way off. 

For example, I was charged by SSE as an estimate 700 units of gas more than what I actually used hence a huge bill. 

Now this was very easily solved by Freya as she would manually enter in my meter readings to give actual, real time figures for the bill calculations. 

Because I pay quarterly instead of monthly it is simply just going to be a second adjustment to my charges where I will effectively get all the money back and my bill will be as it should be in August. 

Just wanted to say thank you to Freya and put out a little recommendation if anybody else is having trouble to see if you can specifically ask for her. 

It's a very dodgy thing SSE have done and I think that to prevent this happening in the future you should make sure you're having your readings taken very often if you're not already. 

Have a nice day! 

@Tim_OVO I have  got all the meter readings with screenshots with date and time sent to them. I have tried all within my capacity to reach out,nothing is working. .... It's just so sad and bad experience working so hard to pay debt for what I didn't consume.

Hey! If you check my post below, I had a really successful chat with a lady called Freya and I think you should try to speak to her if you can. All I needed was my readings from when I moved in and my readings from last night. 

I have the same problem, moved over from SSE , OVO sends a estimated bill and ask for metre reading then don't send any updated bills, the excuse they say is the account is still migrating but seriously how long does that take. OVO are definitely not as good or as organised as SSE. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @April and welcome to the OVO online community,

Sorry to hear that you’ve yet to receive an updated bill since your account was moved from SSE to OVO. Just to check, was it the meter readings used on your opening OVO statement which were estimated? If so the process for getting these corrected is outlined in this related topic:

If there is a potential issue with this reading our Support Team should be able to help get things sorted. They may request another set of meter readings to help recalculate what the reading should’ve been around the date your account moved over. 

Depending the difference between the readings, we may need to get this verified by the energy industry  by following a process known as a ‘Read Dispute’ - you can read more about this here.

During this process your regular monthly billing will be paused whilst we look to correct the opening meter reading. It may also mean that the final SSE bill you’d previously received may need to be amended. 

It’s worth mentioning that there’s not been a change to your unit rates or standing charges since your account joined us. These erroneous charges will be reversed as soon as we’re able to get that migration meter reading corrected so you’re not over-charged for any energy you’ve used since you joined us.

I hope this helps explain the process in getting things back on track, let us know if you’ve got any more questions.