Solved

So your OVO economy 7 smart meter gives you off-peak cheap electricity, but when is it cheapest?

Show first post

309 replies

Userlevel 7

On a side note, we have a meeting room in the Rivergate office called Ada Lovelace! :robot:

To confirm your meter’s off peak times, find your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) on your online account’s Plan section (near the bottom):

Then use this table below, the MPAN’s first two digits is the ‘Area ID’, far left column. The ‘Off peak’ times are on the column second from the right:

Please be advised that Secure, Aclara and Honeywell smart meters don't adjust for BST. The result of this is that for BST, your off peak will be an hour later then advised above. 

If you’re not sure on your meter, PM me with your MPAN number and I can check!   

Found it - thank you. My Area ID is 23 and my off-peak hours are 00.00-07.00

My only problem now is how do I mark your reply as the Answer?!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@TaffyOutlanewrote:

how do I mark your reply as the Answer?!!!

In two words:  You can’t !

Only the Originator or a Moderator can assign Best Answer.

However this is now a very bloated Topic, stretching over 3 years. Policies have changed and @Tim_OVO is getting this subject matter to a point where we can handle it without needing Moderators to intervene.

I think we now need to archive the majority of comments that have arisen here and agree what information should be presented right at the top if someone else asks a similar question.

If we’re going to leave it as a manual look-up table, then  @Tim_OVO and I should also create a map with the Area ID code of the MPAN number on it. Yes, the table will still be presented, but a map is easier to assimilate, and can be useful if there is a dispute over an MPAN being correctly assigned. (We can re-edit the DNO map from Ofgem, Tim?)

If you have any other suggestion/comment about presentation or additional information which we should include, then now would be a good time to mention it.

Thanks for your interest.

Many thanks, @Transparent - much appreciated.

Userlevel 7

I think we now need to archive the majority of comments that have arisen here and agree what information should be presented right at the top if someone else asks a similar question.

This has already been done, @Transparent - the 'best answer’ right at the top, below the question, contains my latest advice and table. :blush:

If we’re going to leave it as a manual look-up table, then  @Tim_OVO and I should also create a map with the Area ID code of the MPAN number on it. Yes, the table will still be presented, but a map is easier to assimilate, and can be useful if there is a dispute over an MPAN being correctly assigned. (We can re-edit the DNO map from Ofgem, Tim?)

Nice idea this, I’m not 100% on the region separate but a quick look on Google should allow us to work it out and annotate an image… 

Can someone tell me when my cheapest time of the day is please? 
I always thought it was after 7pm but I’ve been reading different things lately 🤷🏻‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya @Pichel1981 !

I think you’re talking about Economy 7 times, is that right? If so, I can definitely help you with that. Please could you let me know what region or county you’re in and I’ll be able to provide the times for you.

If that’s not what you’re looking for, please could you clarify your question and we’ll try to see if we can help.

Thanks!

Hi. Yes, sorry, that is what I was talking about. I’m in Essex, CB11

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! In that case, I think you’re in MPAN Area ID 10 and your DNO should be UK Power Networks. If that’s wrong, please let me know as my geography is far from perfect! I’m basing this info off of a guide we have here.

And based off of another one:

You’ve got the standard 7 hours. In the winter it’s Peak between 7am and midnight and Off-Peak from midnight until 7am. If you have a Smart Meter that’s branded Aclara, Honeywell or Secure though, please be aware that it won’t adjust for BST so your hours might be an hour later in the summer.