Solved

SMS cancelled our 3-phase meter installation appointment - How can we get a rescheduled appointment and our supply reconnected?

• 11 October 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

We have been upgraded to 3-phase supply by DNO UKPN. Work was completed on 8 October as planned, and site available by 13:30. We were notified on 4 October by Ovo that the meter installation appointment scheduled for the afternoon of 8 October would not take place but a reschedule would be agreed with us by SMS.

A week has gone by since cancellation and we have heard nothing. No explanation and no new appointment.  This is not acceptable. What are you doing to get SMS to respond to us? When will we get our supply connected?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 11 October 2021, 18:26

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @plodder .

Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, as a forum volunteer I’m unable to access your account or make any changes, so I wouldn’t be able to look at what happened or rebook another appointment. However, the Support Team definitely will be happy to sort that out for you.

It’s possible that OVO weren’t informed about SMS cancelling the appointment, since once it’s handed over to them OVO doesn’t really get involved again for the most part. Where needed though, OVO can give them a nudge and a reminder about an outstanding job request, so hopefully that should get you some progress.

Please keep us posted with how things go. We’ll be here if you need us!

Userlevel 7

Hi there @plodder and welcome to the OVO online community,

I am so sorry to hear about your cancelled 3-phase meter installation and the delay in hearing back from our third-party installers, that does sound really frustrating particularly as you were assured they would be in touch.

As we’re not able to access your account here, the best step would be to contact our Support Team who can look into this further. The quickest means of contact is via our Webchat which you can find a link to here.

I hope the team can help get this one sorted for you, let us know how you get on - we’re always on hand here to offer advice where we can.

Update: We were contacted by SMS yesterday afternoon and we have an appointment. Many thanks to whoever made it happen. Only problem is it's not till 24 November. If SMS is over-worked, isn't it possible for a company like Ovo to have alternative contractors?

Glad to hear you’ve now got an appointment scheduled with SMS, @plodder.

I appreciate that it can be a bit of a longer wait for a 3 phase appointment than our regular meter maintenance appointments with SMS. This is due to the need for a specialized 3 phase trained engineer, the availability of which can be fairly limited regardless of contractor.

I hope the appointment goes smoothly, keep us updated - we’d love to hear the outcome and how you’re getting on with the 3 phase set-up. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Blastoise186 and @Jess_OVO 

I have been in touch with the support team as you suggested, and although I don’t yet have an appointment fixed, I think we are moving forward.

Userlevel 7

Any updates on this one, @plodder?

Really hoping the team have managed to get the 3 phase appointment re-scheduled and you’re well on your way to getting re-connected.

Let us know if you need any more help or advice. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 1

Thanks for following up on this, @Jess_OVO 

Sadly, we don’t seem to be getting a solution on this. Very disappointing, and annoying, because we paid upfront for the engineer call last August, so Ovo has our money but we don’t even have an explanation for why there is no appointment.

We contacted the support team and made a complaint. That was escalated to a second level and we were promised an answer in 5 working days. Didn’t get one. Rang in again, and we are told we should have an answer by today, but on past record I’m not holding my breath.

Does SMS have a qualified engineer or not? If they do, when is he available? Why can’t we have an answer to that?

If you can help further I’d be grateful.

Userlevel 2

Welcome to my world...you will need patience!
We had a similar experience…  On the day we were expecting the meter upgrade I chased at 12noon and was informed that SMS did not have the job...
After chasing via emails and calls, along with, three further visits, we eventually got the meter upgraded.
The first two visits were from single phase engineers who were not qualified to upgrade the meter.
As I understand it your job with OVO needs to include “Functionality Exchange” and should also go the the SMS ‘commercial team’ for a three phase engineer.
It took 4 weeks f​​​​​rom the day we were expecting the upgrade to the date it was actually installed.  This was was 11 weeks from when we paid...

Userlevel 1

Update: We were contacted by SMS yesterday afternoon and we have an appointment. Many thanks to whoever made it happen. Only problem is it's not till 24 November. If SMS is over-worked, isn't it possible for a company like Ovo to have alternative contractors?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey, thanks for the update!

That’s good to hear then. I wouldn’t know exactly what caused SNS to pick up on your job request, but something probably gave them a nudge about it.

Getting a secondary or backup contractor onto the list is probably not as easy as it sounds, but it’s not totally impossible. I think that’d be a decision for someone pretty high up at OVO to make though, so I can’t really say what might happen.

Userlevel 2

When we were told about the dates we were given we took the approach that ‘at least we are not without service’, we had to delay some further electrical works but when then engineer did arrive he was really good!

Userlevel 7

Glad to hear you’ve now got an appointment scheduled with SMS, @plodder.

I appreciate that it can be a bit of a longer wait for a 3 phase appointment than our regular meter maintenance appointments with SMS. This is due to the need for a specialized 3 phase trained engineer, the availability of which can be fairly limited regardless of contractor.

I hope the appointment goes smoothly, keep us updated - we’d love to hear the outcome and how you’re getting on with the 3 phase set-up. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 1

Very pleased to say that after a long wait we were contacted by a team at Ovo who took over responsibility for the situation. Shortly afterwards we were were called by installers SMS with a date for the meter upgrade. That was the good news - the bad news was it wasn’t until the 24th November.

But on the 24th the SMS engineer arrived and installed the meter. We are now using  the 3-phase supply and all is well.

We are still unhappy about the delay. We requested the meter three months ago in August and paid for the installation up front, so Ovo had our money for about six weeks without providing the service.

Then we were told of the delay, which lasted another six weeks, and has taken us into the coldest part of the year. Fortunately the DNO did not cut off the original supply or we would have frozen. It seems to us that Ovo should have more than one contractor installing meters so that if one cannot provide an engineer the other might be able to help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear you’ve eventually got things sorted out though, that’s definitely progress!

Just so you know, it may take up to six weeks from the date of install for your new Smart Meter to be fully commissioned. OVO might be able to start communicating with it before then, but six weeks is considered long enough to complete the entire process, including running initial firmware updates and testing. Things might be unstable in the meantime, but this is to be expected and is normal.

However, I’d probably agree regarding the delays. But it may also be complicated to engage a backup contractor without compromising on something else. It’s something I can ask Jess to feed back to the team though.