Solved

Renewal options show the fixed plan with boiler cover is the cheapest, can I take this deal without the boiler cover?

I hope someone may be able to help all their webchat operatives are busy. My existing plan is ending soon. I've had an email from OVO stating the best deal is a 2 year plan with boiler cover for £344/month, can I take this deal without the boiler cover? Also I've been quoted 150/month for a variable contract, which is attractive as it saves £200/month. Obviously with rates increasing this will increase. Any observations would be greatly appreciated 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 23 August 2022, 19:57

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 04/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Updated details on the 1 Year Fixed + Boiler Cover

We’ve received some updated information on this tariff, and some of the details of Blastoise186’s answer are no longer accurate, please see our update here.

You are required to have 1 of the following additional covers to be on the 1 Year Fixed + Boiler Cover tariff:

• Essentials Cover 
    • Boiler and central heating cover
    • An annual home boiler service
  • Starter Cover
    • Plumbing and electrics cover
  • Complete Cover
    • Boiler replacement cover
    • Gas and water supply pipe cover
    • Internal and external drains cover
    • A special priority helpline

If the additional cover is cancelled at any time during the duration of your plan, you’ll automatically be reverted to the Standard Variable Tariff within a couple of weeks of the cancellation. You’ll receive confirmation of the plan changing, so if there has been a mistake then you’ll have time to ensure the fixed tariff stays in place, just get in touch with the Support Team and they’ll help get that sorted. 

Hi @Petefred ,

Yup, you can indeed take that deal without the boiler cover. Simply sign up for the bundle deal, ignore any offers to activate the boiler cover and it won’t cost you anything. You’d have to explicitly sign up for the boiler cover separately anyway for that element to activate. If you don’t, you just get the slightly better energy rates on your plan.

Personally, now is a good time to fix - don’t bother with that variable rate because it WILL shoot up in October and is likely to skyrocket again come January. Any savings from variable rate now will be instantly destroyed in October.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Petefred

The variable rate will go up in October and is projected to go up in January and April (unless the new Prime Minister does something dramatic). 

The October price cap was based on wholesale prices up until last Thursday. The October price cap will be announced on Friday this week.

I would be willing to bet the the current fixed prices are higher than the October price cap. No one is projecting the October price cap to be that high and the ofgem way of calculating the price cap is no secret. 

However the January and April price caps are looking like they may be eye watering. So locking in for two years would protect you from this, even though you would end up paying more for the short period  between now and January.

You can always cancel the fixed rate within the two years and pay the exit fee if prices come down dramatically

Hi @Petefred ,

Yup, you can indeed take that deal without the boiler cover. Simply sign up for the bundle deal, ignore any offers to activate the boiler cover and it won’t cost you anything. You’d have to explicitly sign up for the boiler cover separately anyway for that element to activate. If you don’t, you just get the slightly better energy rates on your plan.

Personally, now is a good time to fix - don’t bother with that variable rate because it WILL shoot up in October and is likely to skyrocket again come January. Any savings from variable rate now will be instantly destroyed in October.

Hope this helps!

THanks fir the reply,  you've confirmed my thoughts

Hi @Petefred

The variable rate will go up in October and is projected to go up in January and April (unless the new Prime Minister does something dramatic). 

The October price cap was based on wholesale prices up until last Thursday. The October price cap will be announced on Friday this week.

I would be willing to bet the the current fixed prices are higher than the October price cap. No one is projecting the October price cap to be that high and the ofgem way of calculating the price cap is no secret. 

However the January and April price caps are looking like they may be eye watering. So locking in for two years would protect you from this, even though you would end up paying more for the short period  between now and January.

You can always cancel the fixed rate within the two years and pay the exit fee if prices come down dramatically

Thanks for your reply.  This is what I was thinking, just needed sond confirmation 

New Fix from 21st August.  Offered 2year Fix including boiler cover.  Didn't want boiler cover so telephoned Customer Services on 27th July.  I was told that I had to have boiler cover or I couldn't have the Fix!  Is this true?  3 calls later and being given various different rates and wrong answers, I whizzed off a complaint on 4th August.  What has happened to OVO customer service?  The rate they have given me is terrible!  No reply to my complaint either!  From a very long standing customer!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @susiejl ,

I’m Blastoise186 and I’m a forum volunteer who helps out here.

The boiler cover element is totally optional. If you don’t activate it, you won’t be charged for it but you can still keep the deal. I have this information on good authority.

Badge +1

Keep an eye out for the pending government announcement. You may then want to cancel the fix - depending on how the help is to be delivered, delivered, delivered. Just hope i’m In at the time 😂

Thanks for your quick reply.  I received an Email confirming this two year Fix but the chap I spoke to cancelled it!  What on earth do I do now?  Feel so frustrated with OVO for the first time ever!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You might be able to get it re-instated if it was cancelled without your permission.

How on earth do I go about achieving that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll need to talk to the Support Team again. The lines are busy because of all the announcements, but it gets a bit quieter after 4pm. Try then and you might get better results.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We are nearing the end of a 2-year OVO fix, and they have offered a choice of variable, or a fixed rate with and without 'Boiler Cover'. We have no need of boiler cover ... but why on earth is the rate with boiler cover £100/year cheaper ?!

And yes, I have checked the figures! Both Electric & Gas standing charges are less with boiler cover. The kWh rates are the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perhaps a promotion for their other services? Not sure otherwise given equality in the rest (standing charge and vat?)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have concluded the new plan information is at best misleading, and I fear deliberately. After some investigation, it seems that "1 Year fixed + Boiler Cover Plan" the plus sign does not mean it includes boiler cover. It should say that if you also take out boiler cover (£180/year minimum) then you get a £100 discount on your standing charges.

Beware the small print!!  I am fast losing faith in OVO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You don’t have to take the boiler cover if you don’t want it. That tariff just gives you access to a cheaper rate for cover if you do decide you want it iirc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Agreed. But that was not obvious from the information I was presented with.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You don’t have to take the boiler cover if you don’t want it. That tariff just gives you access to a cheaper rate for cover if you do decide you want it iirc.

oh the way it looks is like you get boiler cover...good to know!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

oh the way it looks is like you get boiler cover...good to know!

That what what I thought - and it should not be presented so misleadingly!

Userlevel 6

Hey @mavison, @stead 

I wanted to gain some clarification for you both on this tariff, so I spoke to the team about it and the implications of cancelling the additional boiler cover.

You are required to have 1 of the following additional covers to be on the 1 Year Fixed + Boiler Cover tariff:

• Essentials Cover 
  • Starter Cover
    • Plumbing and electrics cover
  • Complete Cover
    • Boiler replacement cover
    • Gas and water supply pipe cover
    • Internal and external drains cover
    • A special priority helpline

If the additional cover is cancelled at any time during the duration of your plan, you’ll automatically be reverted to the Standard Variable Tariff within a couple of weeks of the cancellation. You’ll receive confirmation of the plan changing, so if there has been a mistake then you’ll have time to ensure the fixed tariff stays in place, just get in touch with the Support Team and they’ll help get that sorted. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Abby for that explanation.

However, my complaint was the misleading way in which my renewal options were presented. The description "1 Year fixed + Boiler Cover Plan" implies that the tariff included boiler cover, but it is actually an extra. The + sign should be "if you have a" 

Userlevel 6

Hey @mavison 

Absolutely understand where you’re coming from there.

Let me feed this back to the team for you, as it’ll be helpful for them to know where they can improve this.