Solved

Re wiring our house and getting a new consumer unit - does OVO need to get involved?

• 2 June 2017
  • 2 replies

We are going to be rewiring our house from top to bottom with a sparkly new consumer unit too. Should I give you a final meter reading before removing the current consumer unit? Should I also give you details of the new unit once its installed?

(re wiring, seriously autocorrect!!)
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 5 June 2017, 13:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
We are going to be rewiring our house from top to bottom with a sparkly new consumer unit too. Should I give you a final meter reading before removing the current consumer unit? Should I also give you details of the new unit once its installed?

(re wiring, seriously autocorrect!!)

Hi @nicphilpotwelcome to the forum and thanks for posting,

Firstly good luck and I hope your rewire goes according to plan.

To make life easier for you - if you PRivate message the lovely @Tim_OVO with your full name, address, ovo account number, date of birth and readings from the old and new consumer unit he will be able to update your account details for you. I'm not sure if you need to provide the serial number for the new unit - but Tim will be able to clarify what other info is needed from you to process this for you

Hope this helps
Userlevel 7

Updated on 22/04/22 by Jess_OVO

This sounds like a big job for you and that sparky!

And well done for checking whether OVO, as your supplier, needs to be involved.

If you're replacing your consumer unit (otherwise known as a fuse box), you’ll need to have an 'isolation switch' (also known as an double pole isolator switch) in place beforehand. This allows the electrician to cut off power to the consumer unit (and the property), after the meter. If you haven't already got one installed, we'll need to send out an engineer to fit one. If you're not sure, your electrician should be able to confirm this for you.

There’s more info on the cost of this job on On Site jobs topic. To get an appointment arrange give the Support Team a call - they can discuss the best appointment time for you. If you haven’t already got a smart meter installed we’d encourage you to get this updated at the same time - not only will this allow for easier management of your energy use - there would be a reduction in the cost of an isolator switch in this case.

Good luck with the renovations!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!