Solved

Why did OVO Energy not collect my Direct Debit on my usual payment date?

• 22 January 2022
  • 21 replies

I want to know what to do as my payment was ment to be taken on the 22nd but has not. And when I look at my account it say bill pendingĀ 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 23 January 2022, 10:44

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 21/06/2023 by Abby_OVO

Ā 

HiyaĀ @Claire88Ā !

Ā 

Direct Debits are held back if the payment date itself falls on a weekend or bank holiday, it should go through tomorrow morning (Monday). From there, it should show up in your OVO account by Wednesday afternoon. Thereā€™s a fiveĀ day cycle that starts two workingĀ days before your payment date and completes two working days afterwards.

As for Bill Pending, thatā€™s unrelated. This is just OVOā€™s billing platform doing some final checks before it properly commits the bill and isnā€™t affected by the in-progress payment.

Ā 

Ā 

Did this one help get things explained,Ā @Claire88?

Ā 

Donā€™t forget you can always login to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) to check your up-to date balance and whether the payment has been received. If itā€™s been 48 working hours since your usual payment date and the Direct Debit still hasnā€™t cleared, it might be worth checking with your bank. If we request the payment and there arenā€™t sufficient funds in your account, this will cause a re-scheduled payment 10 days later.

Ā 

Hoping this information is helpful - Do pop back if youā€™ve got any further questionsĀ :slight_smile:

Ā 

Userlevel 7

Did this one help get things explained,Ā @Claire88?

Ā 

Donā€™t forget you can always login to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) to check your up-to date balance and whether the payment has been received. If itā€™s been 48 working hours since your usual payment date and the Direct Debit still hasnā€™t cleared, it might be worth checking with your bank. If we request the payment and there arenā€™t sufficient funds in your account, this will cause a re-scheduled payment 10 days later.

Ā 

Hoping this information is helpful - Do pop back if youā€™ve got any further questionsĀ :slight_smile:

It did help thank uĀ 

I have direct debit subscription on my account for the 1st of every month, however, this month is not yet taken. What's happening?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @captayenoluĀ !

Itā€™s May Day today, which always falls on the first Monday in May. As a result, today is a bank holiday and pretty much the entire banking system in the UK is closed. Instant payments, deposits, withdrawalsĀ and transfers will still process of course, but just about everything else gets pushed back an extra day.

Any payments due to be collected from your bank account today will be collected tomorrow (2nd May 2022) instead. Youā€™ll be back to the 1st of each month from June as usual.

Please donā€™t panic, this isnā€™t a payment failure either. Just a quirk of how the banking system works in the UK.

Thanks a lot @Blastoise186Ā . The information helped in clarifying my worries on all my other DDs.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Hereā€™s the official list of UK Bank Holidays in case it helps.

There are no further Bank Holidays in England scheduled this year to fall on the 1st of any month at the time of me posting this comment.Ā The next twoĀ will be Monday 2nd January 2023 because of New Years Day being on a Sunday next year, andĀ - rather ironically - May Day 2023 which once again, falls on the 1st May next year.

If youā€™re in Scotland or Northern Ireland though, there are some others youā€™ll want to be aware of. Theyā€™re all in that convenient list, in case that helps. :)

Weekends i.e. Saturdays and Sundays are also considered to be closed days in the banking system. As with a Bank Holiday, scheduled payments on a weekend will generally be pushed back to the following week.

Hi - our May direct debit hasn't been taken although out bank details haven't changed.

I don't want our credit score to be affected if this is seen as a late payment- what should I do? The live chat system doesn't seem to be working.

Regards Richard

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7

HiĀ @lamina,

Ā 

A bit of a confusing one. It might be worth taking a look at the advice given in the best answer above,

Direct Debits are held back if the payment date itself falls on a weekend or bank holiday, it should go through tomorrow morning (Monday). From there, it should show up in your OVO account by Wednesday afternoon. Thereā€™s a fiveĀ day cycle that starts two workingĀ days before your payment date and completes two working days afterwards.

Ā 

Donā€™t forget you can always login to yourĀ online accountĀ or OVO app (download forĀ AndroidĀ orĀ iOS) to check your up-to date balance and whether the payment has been received. If itā€™s been 48 working hours since your usual payment date and the Direct Debit still hasnā€™t cleared, it might be worth checking with your bank. If we request the payment and there arenā€™t sufficient funds in your account, this will cause a re-scheduled payment 10 days later.

Ā 

Have you logged in to your online account to check whether weā€™ve received the payment yet?

Hi - no bill has been generated for April and there are ample funds both in our current account and I have a balance on the ovo account considerably more than the direct debit. The smart meter is working fine and o have regular readings of usage .

Ā 

What do you suggest I do ?

RegardsĀ 

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

Iā€™m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers. Just need to give you a heads up that I canā€™t access your account though, so I canā€™t fix this problem myself.

I think the Support Team should be able to forcibly generate a bill for you and if needed, help you to make a payment to the account. If the reason the payment didnā€™t go out isnā€™t your fault e.g. OVOā€™s systems never attempted to take one, then this wonā€™t reflect badly on your account or credit records. Youā€™d only get a black mark if either you didnā€™t pay at all, or multiple payments bounced.

Could you check the Billing History though, just in case thereā€™s a bill there?

Hi - all sorted after a call to ovo :-)

Richard

Ā 

Mine also failed to be taken and still not taken as of today. Ā Friday 6th.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ub8jayĀ ,

Iā€™ve seen your comment in the other thread just now.Ā 

This soundsĀ like it mightĀ not just you affected, so Iā€™ll go ahead and ask @Tim_OVOĀ and @Jess_OVOĀ if they can stop by, just to be safe.

Thanks for bringing it up!

Userlevel 7

Just to check in following the weekend, are you still missing the latest Direct Debit payment on your accounts, @Ub8jayĀ and @captayenolu?

Ā 

Let me know if so and Iā€™ll check in with our payments team to see if thereā€™s a known issue or this might be account-specific.

Ā 

Hope we can get to the bottom of this forĀ you both.

Just checked the OVO app and my bank account and nothing showing still. Ā 
Ā 

jason.Ā 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the update, @Ub8jay.

Ā 

Just to let you know Iā€™ve raised this one to the team so will pop back when I know more.Ā šŸ™‚

Hi, this month , I cannot see my DD payment on my account - we did not use Ā£280 worth of gas and electric last month . Plus we haven't received the Ā£66 into the bank account despite it showing as refunded on my OVO account .Ā 

Any ideas please ?Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @AnnoyedaswellĀ ,

This sounds very account specific Iā€™m afraid, so your best bet would really be the Support Team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you post a screenshot of the recent Charges and Payments screen please? Also the ā€˜see detailsā€™ which gives Charges Breakdown. No personal info though! Though it may well not help !!! See above šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Userlevel 2

Hi, this month , I cannot see my DD payment on my account - we did not use Ā£280 worth of gas and electric last month . Plus we haven't received the Ā£66 into the bank account despite it showing as refunded on my OVO account .Ā 

Any ideas please ?Ā 

Ā 

It can take up to 7 working days after Direct Debit taken for the refund to arrive in your Bank Account.