Question

OVO continues to charge me even when I moved out.

• 22 September 2022
  • 1 reply

My story begins in January 2022 when I moved into a flat that I was renting. I received an OVO welcome pack and proceeded to set up the account. There was an error saying that I need to call the support to solve the issue. I did so several times - yet, after 8 months of waiting, writing emails, calling, writing formal complaints, looking for help on this forum and posting on Facebook, OVO was unsuccessful in setting up the account for me.

I continued getting letters addressed to the “current occupier” with the bills and usuage information. Since the account was not set up I was not able to make the payments via the internet. When called I was told that OVO DOES NOT provide me with the energy - my arguments saying that I’m pretty sure they do as I keep on getting bills and the whole process of setting up the account was in motion (or so I did believe).

For 8 months I was making bank transfers to pay up the energy bills. Finally, in September I have moved out to another city. My agency informed me that they contacted OVO and said that I have moved out and there is no action required on my side as they have provided OVO with the end of tenancy meter readings. In the meantime, I was still trying to set up the account as I was told that I need to send OVO my tenancy agreement. I did send it 3 times with no word back from them.

Imagine my surprise when I got an email today saying that my moving out of this property has been cancelled. The email was addressed to me, however the account that was set up in my name is not the same I was using for the 8 months of me living there. There is of course an outstanding charge (on average £15/month summing up to outstading charge in my of around £120).

It feels like the moment I left the flat, OVO has decided to do something, they have set up the account in my name FINALLY but they back charged me some standing charge for 8 months for a new account and forget about the account they opened in January this year. It feels like OVO is trying to extort me at this point. I cannot get help anywhere, call center is a joke - nobody could help throughout the past 8 months and nobody can help now. OVO does not care about the formal complaints either.

I really just need a moment of time of a person who will be willing to help me close this from the beginning to the end. I truly just want to leave, close all the accounts and NEVER use OVO EVER again.

Next steps for me is writing Ombudsman and Ofgem hoping that they will be able to help and get a minute of OVO’s time to deal with this problem.

1 reply

Userlevel 4

Hey @maciej65537,

I’m sorry for the issues you continue to have.

This sounds like an account specific issue, I think our Support Team would be best placed to help you as they can raise this problem to the necessary team. 

If you haven’t done so already, it might be help to send in a tenancy agreement so that there is no room for discrepancy about dates of liability? This can be raised to our team that deal with home moves. 

You can now contact our Support Team through web messenger.

Hope this helps.