Solved

Moving SSE to OVO - Why has my Direct Debit increased?

• 23 January 2022
  • 46 replies

Show first post

46 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear of your experience when trying to contact the Support Team over the past few days, @sse-set -me-up.

We’ve had some technical issues with our phone lines which have now been resolved, so I’m sorry to hear these issues affected your attempts to get in touch. Our usual email response timeframe is around 5 working days, so you should expect a response to any emails sent over the weekend by this Friday. If you’d like to speak to the team more urgently the phone lines are open as normal today, whilst we can’t schedule a call-back here we’d advise giving us a call today on 0330 303 5063.

I appreciate this hasn’t been the smoothest journey for you since joining us from SSE. Whilst we understand any increases to your Direct Debit are concerning it’s important to note that this change hasn’t affected your plan or prices. If you’ve joined us on a variable plan you may have been affected by the Variable Price Cap change in April. We’ve got more information on this change here and links to further support here.

I hope this information is helpful.

Still been over an hour today, why should I continue to waste my time waiting on a phone

as for joining you from sse it wasn’t my choice, and had it been trust me I’d be elsewhere

Userlevel 1

OVO are not my company of choice, SSE dumped this nonsense on me

I'm in exactly the same situation, having OVO foisted on me and no idea of customer service. I’ve just been able to claim £85 refund, even though my account is over £900 in credit, my current month’s usage is estimated to be £94 and they’re taking another £280 on 1st July. At this rate I’ll never catch up. If OVO is supposed to be part of the SSE ‘family’, then why was SSE so very much better than what we’ve ben left with?

I am walking away

Userlevel 7
Badge

OVO are not my company of choice, SSE dumped this nonsense on me

I'm in exactly the same situation, having OVO foisted on me and no idea of customer service. I’ve just been able to claim £85 refund, even though my account is over £900 in credit, my current month’s usage is estimated to be £94 and they’re taking another £280 on 1st July. At this rate I’ll never catch up. If OVO is supposed to be part of the SSE ‘family’, then why was SSE so very much better than what we’ve ben left with?

Hi @Jan Newton

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't work for OVO. A few of us try to offer suggestions on some occasions. 

Am happy to try and help see if there is anything obvious going on if it helps?  Although obviously i may not spot anything. 

1. On the plan page what is OVO assuming for your "Future annual consumption" for gas and electric?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

2. What is the unit cost and standing charge for gas electric on the same page?

Obviously don't answer if you don't want any help or feel uncomfortable giving any information. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you. After two solid days on the phone and online I finally spoke to a lovely chap yesterday who sorted it all out. It took a month, but it’s finally done. Very relieved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you. After two solid days on the phone and online I finally spoke to a lovely chap yesterday who sorted it all out. It took a month, but it’s finally done. Very relieved. 

@Jan Newton that is good news.

I have genuinely found OVO pretty good, although it can take some time to sort out some things. I think all suppliers are under a lot of pressure. 

Do you mind me asking what they did roughly in the end and what they thought the issue was? Just some high level details? It would really help if we see similar queries from other customers posted on the forum.

Obviously don't feel obliged to post anything if you don't want to.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions in the future on the forum. 

Userlevel 1

I was recently was transitioned from SSE to Ovo and currently on a 2 year fixed 5/21 to 5/23 and my total last year was under £600.00

Ovo are now asking for £91 pcm Direct Debit, WoW!

I altered my DD when was with SSE to allow for seasonal usage, this does not seem feasible with Ovo ?

I already agreed with Ovo to pay £71 DD and when August and September are taken I will have £200.00+ in credit and that would leave £400.00 approx to find over 8 months ie £50.00 pcm. 

So have no idea where the hell Ovo get a £1000.00+ yearly cost figure from considering I am on a Smart Meter and they have access to historical bills.

Anyone else been down this avenue ????

Userlevel 7
Badge

I was recently was transitioned from SSE to Ovo and currently on a 2 year fixed 5/21 to 5/23 and my total last year was under £600.00

Ovo are now asking for £91 pcm Direct Debit, WoW!

I altered my DD when was with SSE to allow for seasonal usage, this does not seem feasible with Ovo ?

I already agreed with Ovo to pay £71 DD and when August and September are taken I will have £200.00+ in credit and that would leave £400.00 approx to find over 8 months ie £50.00 pcm. 

So have no idea where the hell Ovo get a £1000.00+ yearly cost figure from considering I am on a Smart Meter and they have access to historical bills.

Anyone else been down this avenue ????

Hi @SpyderDor

I don't work for OVO. 

Go to this page on the website rather than the app

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

You should see figures for "Future Annual Consumption". This is what drives the direct debits.

Check the future consumption figures are reasonable based on what you usually use in a year. We have seen some instances where it is too high. 

Also double check the tariff rates are correct on the same page.

Does that make sense? 

Userlevel 1

Yes thank you, they have estimated my electricity usage will quadruple in the next 11 months.

Appreciate the response and now to contact Ovo to inform them they are numpties !!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yes thank you, they have estimated my electricity usage will quadruple in the next 11 months.

Appreciate the response and now to contact Ovo to inform them they are numpties !!

Hi @SpyderDor the usage page should contain 2 years worth of SSE usage.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

So OVO should be able to see this when you contact them

Also two years worth of meter readings should have been transferred

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Unfortunately getting the Future Annual Consumption figures corrected after you speak to OVO won't be a quick process. The front line Support Team can't update the figure themselves. 

In theory the Future Annual Consumption should automatically get more accurate over time, but it sounds like the starting figure was very high and needs sorting out. 

Ask for the Direct Debit to be frozen for 3 months at a lower £ while the Future Annual Consumption is sorted out. They have done this for others. 

Let us know how you get on as it may help others.

Feel free to ask if you have any more queries.

@Tim_OVO I think you were collecting examples of incorrect figures for Future Annual Consumption. This may be another one. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you, yes will take on board what you have explained, the more ammunition the better for arguing my case, much appreciated.

Userlevel 1

Received email response, as expected yes the yearly usage estimate is different, just wait 3 months and we will review.  Thank you for nothing Ovo, it is my usage, my money not yours.  SSE had 3 years worth of data, so Ovo saying an estimate 4 times higher is acceptable is total B*******

Not a great start by Ovo in moving SSE customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Received email response, as expected yes the yearly usage estimate is different, just wait 3 months and we will review.  Thank you for nothing Ovo, it is my usage, my money not yours.  SSE had 3 years worth of data, so Ovo saying an estimate 4 times higher is acceptable is total B*******

Not a great start by Ovo in moving SSE customers.

Hi @SpyderDor Did they confirm they are freezing your direct debit at a lower level for 3 months?

I suspect there is not much more you can do in the short term. 

@Tim_OVO is aware that some SSE customers have had similar issues and fed back to the appropriate OVO teams.

I would check the future annual consumption figures once a month to see if they are coming down.

If the credit builds up too high perhaps request a partial refund, leaving enough for the higher usage winter months and what will be an eye watering increase in costs in May when your fixed rate comes to an end. Alternatively ask for another freeze after 3 months if necessary.

Hope all goes well.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, they stated to wait for the next billing statement. 

Yes I have made contingencies in preparation for next May.

May I thank you for the guidance, will definitely keep checking my Account.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @SpyderDor

I have added an idea for OVO to consider

Feel free to add any comments to it or vote for it if you think it would help

Userlevel 1

I have received confirmation from email support that as far as they are concerned I should find an extra £30 pcm from September, I offered £60 pcm as that is more than adequate.  They are totally ignoring that I have been living here for 3 years so they can see their figures are not correct and downright unrealistic.  I know I am in the right and prepared to fight as a matter of principal, not just for me but other SSE Fixed Rate users who are being overcharged.

Watch this space...…

Userlevel 1

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/decision-estimated-annual-cost-domestic-consumers

""Is based on actual historic consumption wherever this is available (and a best estimate of consumption where it is not)""

Userlevel 7
Badge

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/decision-estimated-annual-cost-domestic-consumers

""Is based on actual historic consumption wherever this is available (and a best estimate of consumption where it is not)""

Yes, that is how the algorithm works, if the starting figure isn't too high, unfortunately it appears too high in your case. 

I don't normally like suggesting it, but you could post a 1 star review on Trustpilot, the OVO team there seem to pick up and address issues. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

You can always include a link to this thread along with any specific information. 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-account-140/se-to-ovo-direct-debitconfusion-10812?

Of course i don't have access to your account so there could always be some other sort of reason.

Hope that helps. 

Userlevel 1

This topic is meandering due to my wrong assumptions and the excellent advice above.

In a nutshell it would appear, and this from research show other providers also, when transitioning from Suppliers the Estimated Annual Consumption is incorrect and therefore a huge hike in Debit Debit is requested.

This is scandalous considering that Energy Suppliers earn interest on money they hold on behalf of their customers.

My recent transition from SSE to OVO has resulted in a hike from approx £600.00pa to £1200.00pa even though I am on fixed rate until May 2023.

All Consumers need to check the Estimated Annual Consumption.  

If this is not rectified and my Direct Debit is automatically increased, I will have no option but to complain to the Ombudsman as clearly they are breaching a code of practice.

Anyway I will now go silent as I have many better ways to spend my time, life is to short !! 

Userlevel 1

Thank you again Jeffus, posting a bad review on TrustPilot has got some action today, I was phoned and a great 15 minute conversation.  This is my update on TP:

“”UPDATE UPDATE OVO phoned me and have agreed that it is their issue, and will manually adjust which will take a few weeks. In the mean time they have agreed a sensible Direct Debit Amount which will not be changed for the remainder of my Fixed Rate Contract, and so have now given 4*””

😁😁😁