Solved

Moving from SSE to OVO - I'm a manual payer, how often will I receive a bill with OVO?

• 7 February 2022
  • 40 replies

Show first post

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Check to see if the DD amount multiplied by 12 is similar to your predicted annual cost (though if you are on a variable tariff it would be prudent to allow for the expected increase in price from October). A properly set up DD amount would help avoid much larger payments in the winter.

The only other alternative really is to move supplier to one where you can pay for what you've used each month by DD. This would mean a large variance in DD amounts between the summer and winter. You're unlikely to find a decent supplier who would bill quarterly now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@CLC if you decide you really want to switch back to quarterly payments you could trying phoning EDF. When I asked them recently they were still offering this.

I personally prefer monthly now to help with budgeting, especially with the dramatic increases in energy costs coming in October and probably January. 

Userlevel 1

It's absolutely disgusting. They took on a large customer base of quarterly paying customers and bullied them into paying monthly. I have requested and received a deadlock letter, so that I can raise it with the ombudsman. OVO should be ashamed of themselves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It's absolutely disgusting. They took on a large customer base of quarterly paying customers and bullied them into paying monthly. I have requested and received a deadlock letter, so that I can raise it with the ombudsman. OVO should be ashamed of themselves.

Hi @scurrie42 if you really want quarterly bills and payments you could try calling EDF. They were offering them the last time i asked.

I use to have quarterly bills but prefer monthly now particularly with the increased prices. With the new quarterly review of the price cap and increased costs, quite a few people are going to see quarterly bills over £1000 over winter.  That is a lot of money. I really don't think quarterly bills are a good idea for budgeting any more.

I am pretty sure there is nothing the ombudsman can do to get ovo to introduce quarterly billing. 

As you mention, following your move we may have updated your billing schedule.

I pay my energy bill quarterly. I have received no official correspondence suggesting that, following the forced ‘slave sale’ of my custom to OVO, that this company would like to renegotiate the terms and conditions under which we conduct our business.
I haven’t logged onto my account since I settled my bill in June, and will not do so now until the next bill is due in September.
It is bizarre that this company seems to wish to work on fantasy bills based on guesswork.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As you mention, following your move we may have updated your billing schedule.

I pay my energy bill quarterly. I have received no official correspondence suggesting that, following the forced ‘slave sale’ of my custom to OVO, that this company would like to renegotiate the terms and conditions under which we conduct our business.
I haven’t logged onto my account since I settled my bill in June, and will not do so now until the next bill is due in September.
It is bizarre that this company seems to wish to work on fantasy bills based on guesswork.

Hi @RRK Sorry to hear you are not happy.

I switched last year from another supplier. I was on quarterly bills and am now on monthly bills with OVO, which to be honest i have found easier for budgeting. 

Do you mind me asking why you don't like monthly bills out of curiosity?

If you really don't like the OVO bills why not simply switch to another supplier?

I hope you manage to find a supplier you are happy with. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @scurrie42 if you really want quarterly bills and payments you could try calling EDF. They were offering them the last time i asked.

I use to have quarterly bills but prefer monthly now particularly with the increased prices. With the new quarterly review of the price cap and increased costs, quite a few people are going to see quarterly bills over £1000 over winter.  That is a lot of money. I really don't think quarterly bills are a good idea for budgeting any more.

I am pretty sure there is nothing the ombudsman can do to get ovo to introduce quarterly billing. 

Hi Jeffus,

Indeed, after I was moved from SSE, telling me to clear off and call someone else for my energy was the preferred option of OVO.

I do NOT prefer monthly bills. Note that OVO do not have to introduce quarterly billing, they already have it but chose not to offer it to their quarterly billed SSE customers.

Regards,
Stuart

Hi scurrie

We are in the exact same situation. Quarterly paying sse customers who were moved to ovo, never recieved any welcome pack which the mods keep referring to and told we need to pay monthly. My dad is an elderly man and cannot keep up with the hassle of monthly readings and payments.  What i dont understand is why take on quaterly billing customers and force them to monthly billing? Whats even more confusing is their website states they offer quaterly billing and when i questioned this the advisor said 'oh that needs updating'. Ovo is literally the worst supplier we have been with. If they do offer quaterly billing then why are they denying us this? Please let me know what happens with the ombudsman. We are also looking to move suppliers to one which offers quarerly billing and treats their customers fairly!

Not only that but we were on paper billing with sse and requested this with ovo. After months we were told we will now recieve paper bills. We gave our readings and should have been billed on the 5th of august and still waiting for our paper bill (11 days later!!!) I put in a complaint to the advanced resolution team re this and this was closed on the basis it was all sorted and we will recieve paper bills but still no sign (and i have no hope whatsoever) !! Im going to have to re open my complaint and get this escalated this as this is a joke! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi scurrie

We are in the exact same situation. Quarterly paying sse customers who were moved to ovo, never recieved any welcome pack which the mods keep referring to and told we need to pay monthly. My dad is an elderly man and cannot keep up with the hassle of monthly readings and payments.  What i dont understand is why take on quaterly billing customers and force them to monthly billing? Whats even more confusing is their website states they offer quaterly billing and when i questioned this the advisor said 'oh that needs updating'. Ovo is literally the worst supplier we have been with. If they do offer quaterly billing then why are they denying us this? Please let me know what happens with the ombudsman. We are also looking to move suppliers to one which offers quarerly billing and treats their customers fairly!

Not only that but we were on paper billing with sse and requested this with ovo. After months we were told we will now recieve paper bills. We gave our readings and should have been billed on the 5th of august and still waiting for our paper bill (11 days later!!!) I put in a complaint to the advanced resolution team re this and this was closed on the basis it was all sorted and we will recieve paper bills but still no sign (and i have no hope whatsoever) !! Im going to have to re open my complaint and get this escalated this as this is a joke! 

Hi @Maz1 sorry to hear about your issues.

I don't work for OVO, i am just an OvO customer, not via SSE. Some of us post where we think we may be able to help.

Let us know the name of the company you choose when.you start your switch in case it helps others who would like quarterly bills

Userlevel 1

Hi scurrie

It’s disgraceful the way OVO *edited my a moderator* have behaved towards their acquired SSE customers. I hope you manage to get what you want, my case with the Ombudsman is still outstanding and I am hoping for a decision soon. As soon as I get one I will certainly let you know.

At SSE my parents were on 6-monthly, paper billing to accurate readings. Since their account was transferred in June, the only bill they have received is an amended bill from SSE after I provided their readings on Sept 1st. Yet their Ovo online account is showing monthly bills. I spoke to 3 people on chat last week and they all said my parents would get a 3 monthly paper bill in the post shortly and then disappeared. If that's true then why does the online account show monthly bills, none of which have been received in the post. Is this really how Ovo works or were the 3 chat advisors all wrong?

Secondly, on rebilling the last bill on the SSE account, it has left a debit amount on there, since the credit had already been transferred to the Ovo account. Does that debit now get transferred across as well?

I also have an email saying their direct debit is going to change,  but they have not received that notification in the post.  I have access to their online account to help resolve issues but they are elderly and need the paper correspondence to actually know what's going on.  Right now, I can't even explain what's going on!  Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Userlevel 5

Hey @Tk_rtmt,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

It sounds like the delay in your parents bill may be due to the SSE re-bill as OVO has to open the account to the exact same reading SSE closes to. I think they may have been affected by the following issue:

With the final balance changing following the re-bill from SSE, your parents may see a ‘balance adjustment’ when they receive their OVO bill. We have a great guide about this topic:

The reason the Online Account says monthly bills is because OVO didn’t issue quarterly bills, we have a live billing platform and send monthly statements. However, some SSE customers who had quarterly bills weren’t changed to monthly when they switched over. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO. Thanks for the response - it helps a little. However, I'm still not clear on whether my parents are actually on a quarterly billing cycle or not. 

They do not wish to be on monthly billing as they do not want to send in meter readings every month and do not want smart meters.  Does the fact we see monthly bills on the online account mean they HAVE been automatically switched to monthly billing, or are they actually on quarterly billing and those monthly statements are a type of secondary tracking?

Is it possible that just because we had an SSE online account, Ovo have incorrectly assumed that they do not require paper bills and correspondence?

Userlevel 5

Hey @Tk_rtmt,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, think I misunderstood you before, if your parents get monthly statements then they are on monthly billing. When they receive a bill, they will have 14 days to pay it if they aren’t on direct debit. 

OVO’s systems are built to facilitate monthly billing. Especially in this volatile market we think it’s beneficial for customers to know what they are using month on month instead of getting a large winter bill for 3 months. 

If they don’t want to send in monthly readings then we’d advise they get a smart meter fitted. We have some great guides you might find helpful:

They might also be eligible for the Priority Services Register, where they can opt in for quarterly meter readings. A meter reader will come to their property every 3 months to take a read.

Check out this useful tutorial about our live billing system and monthly summaries it should answer any questions you have:

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

Hi scurrie

Hi Maz,

I have got nowhere with either the Ombudsman or OVO. It seems that they will get away with bullying their new customers into having to read meters monthly and make monthly payments. I was told by OVO that they don’t offer quarterly billing, but this is a lie as I know OVO customers who have just that.  They told me that if I didn’t like it then I could go elsewhere, so that is exactly what I am doing. I am a British Gas customer and they have told me that they do a dual fuel arrangement where I can get billed quarterly for my gas and electric. So if you are currently with BG this seems like an option.

SSE were a superb company who valued their customers, and I am sorry that I am no longer with them. I have no good words for OVO unfortunately, who seem to think that customers simply exist to serve them.

Stuart