Solved

Moved in to a rental supplied by OVO can't access account to pay

• Carbon Cutter*
  • 3 replies

Hey,

I’ve recently moved to the UK, and to a rental house supplied by OVO.

My problem is I can’t create an online account to pay for the energy bill, and the automatic system won’t accept the account number printed on the bill to proceed.

Please advise.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 12 October 2021, 10:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Heya @Ypok !

I think I know what’s going on here. Is your name actually on the bill? I get the feeling it probably isn’t, which would mean you aren’t the active customer and wouldn’t be able to access the existing account at all. Please could you call the Support Team on 0330 303 5063 and they’ll help you set up a new account - you’ll then be the named customer and have access from that point onwards.

Hey,

You are right, the bill is adressed to “The Occupier”. However I tried to call to set up an account 5 times now, can’t get past the automatic system which doesn’t recognize the Account number printed on the bill. And there is no option to avoid that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries. The Support Team can set you up with a new supply account over the phone. It sounds like a previous tenant or the landlord is still the active customer, so you’ll need to ask the Support Team to go through the Moving In process with you over the phone and that should get things going.

If you are the active customer though, you can’t use the account number on the bill - you’ll need to use your email address as the username in MyOVO. This link should help get the online account up and running. But the team will be happy to take a look if you’re still stuck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ohh ok. Gimme a sec. I’ll try something

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Figured it out. When you get asked to enter an account number please do nothing for around 20 seconds. The phone system will eventually give up and divert to the backup mechanism which will let you get through to someone. I’ll have a chat with Tim if I can think of anything that might help to make that smoother in future.

But how can I reach a person on the phone? As I’ve said, I can’t get past the automatic system, because it doesn’t recognise the account number on the bill I’ve got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It seems we’re pretty quick to respond and keep missing each other. I’ll try to slow down a bit more after this comment to give you more time to respond. Sorry about that!

Generally, the system is designed to automatically enter your account number immediately if it recognises you, so that you get past that step. The fact you’re being asked for one means the number you’re calling from doesn’t belong to any known customer, so the system tries to ask for your account number. However, waiting for around 20-30 seconds causes that request to timeout and skips to the main menu. Once you get to that, you’ll be able to get through the usual menu options and speak to the team.

@Tim_OVO could you feed this back to the team please? I think it might be helpful to have some kind of option to immediately skip that account number check for cases where the caller doesn’t yet have an account with OVO, so that it doesn’t become an infinite loop trap. Something like if you don’t have an account with us, or you don’t know your account number, please press star would probably do the trick.

Thank you, It wasn’t evident (especially that it kept repeating that it doesn’t recognize the account number) so I’ve hung up way before the timeout happened before.

Managed to reach the customer service and sorted the account out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries, glad I could help!

The phone system OVO is using is pretty new and only recently replaced the old one, so it’s still being road tested and bedding in at the moment. Most of the rough edges and bugs have been fixed, but there’s probably still the odd one or two lurking. I’ve managed to find a few that have since been fixed and hopefully this one will as well. I’ve asked Tim to pass this on as feedback, since I think he’d agree that it could be improved.

Thanks for flagging that up! If you need help again, feel free to stop by anytime.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Ypok - Welcome to your new home and to the OVO online community,

Can see our resident community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already been on hand to offer some great tips as to how you can bypass the option to enter an account number when calling the Support Team. Just to re-confirm the automated message you hear will ask for an account number but if you don’t yet have an account set-up you can hit # to skip this step and be connected to an agent.

I’ve already fed-back the comments you’ve made here to the team to make sure this messaging is clear enough - we’ve also got a great guide to setting up an account here. 

Hope this helps get things sorted - Do pop back and let us know how this goes. :thumbsup: